Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I the first to coin this phrase?

"The Drone Ranger?"
Good one Frank... I assume your referring to the Gatwick thing.... Makes my Piss Boil.. It doesn't matter what it is we invent.. The Wheel, The Car. The Drone.! As Humans we Just have to think of a way to use it for Evil Or just to Piss people off, I really do dislike Humans!.. Scum of the Earth, The lot of us.

Brexit will sort the drone problem out :mask:

seriously though how is it our security services couldn't sort it out quicker?

Brexit will sort the drone problem out :mask:

seriously though how is it our security services couldn't sort it out quicker?
I guess because it’s a very big area and they can be controlled at a considerable distance.
The potential implications, beyond the enormous financial and inconvenience, are a worry.
I would have thought some sort of electronic counter measures to block the controllers signal would be possible.

We were only talking on.monday that the UK will.not allow the tech to.stop this from happening. It's used all over the world but uk will not sanction the jammers

We were only talking on.monday that the UK will.not allow the tech to.stop this from happening. It's used all over the world but uk will not sanction the jammers
With no aircraft flying, what’s wrong with a drone shoot? Heck, you could get the local clay pigeon shooters in to do the job for them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The media had managed to find companies providing, jamming etc, a gun that fires nets and a system for tracking the drone and transmitter in a few hours. But it strikes me as odd that none of these were reported as used until today. Given ISIS have being using drones in attacks for some time now I also find it surprising that a key target like amajor airport was better protected against a drone.

I be a farmer with a shotgun would have sorted it out much faster

One problem is that the larger ones can be programmed to follow a pre-set course - making them autonomous.

Then there is no transmitter signal to track or jam !

I live right next to Edinburgh Airport. We have a guy in a pick-up truck driving around setting off maroons to scare the birds away. When that fails he gets the shotgun out. He is not averse to bringing down Herring Gulls and at this time of year we have large flocks of Geese roosting overnight on the grass.

I would have thought that Gatwick had the answer in its own back yard - or are there no flocks of birds around London any more ??

Bob.

Shotguns can't be very effective at 400m ?

What I found hillarous was that the airport radar is unable to pick up drones :). They had to put people in the fields around Gatwick to hear/look for them.

With airport radar, they would know exactly where it came up from, and what its course has been.

Flack would bring it down lol. A rifle would not be any good against a small moving target and a shot gun has too short a range.

This morning looks like the army tracked it down the moment it took off at 10 p.m. last night. Army does'nt like things in the sky, they might attack them, so they are well defended.

2 people are now in custody
They would be too small to track on radar I think, and as has been said too high for a shotgun.
Best defence would be ecm, which we have some of the best of.

Shotguns can't be very effective at 400m ?
It depends what you put in them :whistle: (Yup, I had a mis-spent youth around a village in Somerset putting silly things in shotguns :angry-nono:).

Deer shot in a Magnum cartridge can be very effective.

Bob.

:think: I wonder what happened to all those old Scuds and Exocets...... No they wouldn't find a Drone.. Just thinking about when they find the Address...:thumbup:

Back