Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Intercooled KZJ78

TL75

Country Flag
pakistan
20180602_131522.jpg

Hi Guys,

I thought I would update you guys on a recent upgrade on my kzj78. I used to always feel that the EGT’s were high . The70 is not the most aerodynamic box out there either and since I travel in the mountains a lot with a good load, I always felt I needed a lil bit more out of the 1kz te.

After much deliberation I went on to install an intercooler in it . I scavenged the intercooler parts from an older engine which was a intercooled 1Kz . basically I changed the manifold , throttle body the top cover. Along with remapping the boost pipes and all it was good to go.

I bought a third party hood scoop and fixed that onto the hood and it was good to go.

Here are my observations:

1. Lower EGTs by 75 to 50 Degree.

2. The EGT’s Drop faster on idle or easing up on the pedal than before

3. The water temp remains cooler by 10 degrees than before

4. Better pick up .

5. Less engine noise than before

6. Slightly better fuel average

I thought I would share my findings incase anyone else was contemplating a upgrade on their kzj78.

Add a 3" exhaust direct from the turbo TL70 and the 1KZ-te becomes a different animal altogether - whoever designed the factory down pipe should be shot .

Add a 3" exhaust direct from the turbo TL70 and the 1KZ-te becomes a different animal altogether - whoever designed the factory down pipe should be shot .

I have heard and read about this as well. I guess that is next. Still trying to see how to go about it. Apparently there is something out there which let's you keep the stock pipes and add additional 3 inch one. Thanks for the tip.
Will it become really noisy after a 3 inch exhaust.

I'm not sure how or why you would want to keep the stock pipe as well but as for noise its really up to you how loud it is because it will have to be custom made so , straight through with no muffler = loud , but add a muffler and it can be packed to your preference , mines quite a loud but smooth rumble which does turn heads but gets only compliments if its mentioned . Had i requested it the exact same exhaust could be packed to make it quieter than a new one from Toyota .

upload_2018-6-17_13-48-33.jpeg

Not a great pic but the down pipe or dump pipe as some call it when opened up alters the character of these engines significantly , faster throttle response and less engine breaking makes you wonder if you might have been dragging a huge weight behind the truck before it was done .

Do you get more Mpg too Shayne? Or is that a daft question?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
View attachment 145742

Not a great pic but the down pipe or dump pipe as some call it when opened up alters the character of these engines significantly , faster throttle response and less engine breaking makes you wonder if you might have been dragging a huge weight behind the truck before it was done .
I think I shall get into this as soon as I can spare some time. Thank you for the tip. I might bug you around the time when I actually get around to doing it. :)

Do you get more Mpg too Shayne? Or is that a daft question?

All in i probably have improved mpg as the power upgrades on my truck altogether mean i've got to get past 80mph to make the engine work hard . That said even the mrs who don't much like driving can't help herself when she's in it and so drives it like she stole it which of course is not good for mpg .

Fuel consumption is not something i care much about but twice in the past i have kept the receipt and remembered to zero the mile counter once getting 21 and another getting 23mpg possibly the lower one was with my trailer attached ? , i'm sure considerate driving could improve those figures - but wheres the fun in that :angelic-halofell:

View attachment 145683
Hi Guys,

I thought I would update you guys on a recent upgrade on my kzj78. I used to always feel that the EGT’s were high . The70 is not the most aerodynamic box out there either and since I travel in the mountains a lot with a good load, I always felt I needed a lil bit more out of the 1kz te.

After much deliberation I went on to install an intercooler in it . I scavenged the intercooler parts from an older engine which was a intercooled 1Kz . basically I changed the manifold , throttle body the top cover. Along with remapping the boost pipes and all it was good to go.

I bought a third party hood scoop and fixed that onto the hood and it was good to go.

Here are my observations:

1. Lower EGTs by 75 to 50 Degree.

2. The EGT’s Drop faster on idle or easing up on the pedal than before

3. The water temp remains cooler by 10 degrees than before

4. Better pick up .

5. Less engine noise than before

6. Slightly better fuel average

I thought I would share my findings incase anyone else was contemplating a upgrade on their kzj78.
Any chance of posting some pics of the the actual engine compartment and some more detailed specs? I would love to do the same to mine.

can share the process of remapping the boost pipes.

please do share the model number of throttle body used for this upgrade. Thanks

Last edited:
No remap the boost is set by the turbo actuator 1623665775350.png

That one is adjustable so you could shorten it to put more weight on the spring meaning it takes more pressure to open the wastegate , a cheap alternative is to unbolt it and put some spacer washers betwen it and its mounting bracket reducing the arms reach so again weighting the spring .

Easiest way to do it is to add one of these to the vacuum pipe attached to the actuator .
1623666123553.png

Back