Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Ultra slow Ultra4 build

I was going to make the trailer with a pipe bender so did a fair bit of reading and came across the very useful tip of replacing the outside rollers with a pin and a half section of the same pipe welded to it to prevent creasing . The guy make spaceframes i'm sure it was on expedition portal , i will try to find it again when i have time if you think it may be useful to you .

Hey Shayne,

The JMR tube bender is apparently a decent bit if kit so I'd expect not to be creasing or flattening out the tube. The dies come with a follower, I think that makes quite a difference.

Cheers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ah yes i should have known you wouldn't be using the sort cheapskate disposable bender i got from machine mart i guess i wouldn't either if i had the skills to put one to good use :|

Good luck with the build and the competitions to follow i am looking forward to your updates i don't know much about this king of the valleys or whatever but when it leads to discussing V8 axle twisters it certainly makes me think i need to visit one of these events even as lowly a drooling spectator :icon-cool:

Last edited:
You should check out King of the valleys, it is awesome. It's held at Walters Arena in Wales. Camping is free also.

I tried one of those MM benders, it's relegated to the back of the shed. I had no joy with it whatsoever. Some folk do get them to work but I think you need to use pretty thick walled pipe to get on with it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I made good progress today. The gearbox, transfercase and motor are out! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpg
I started tearing down the transfer case. Figures while everything is out I'll replace all the bearings and seals.
IMG_1522.jpg
And fitted my spare off of the 80 to see how 37's look on it. I'll be trimming away a fair amount of the fenders to keep it low with big tyres and not impede the up travel. Going to be shooting for 7" up and 7" down.
IMG_1524.jpg

I should get the gearbox stripped down tomorrow. Once all the bearing and seals are replaced it'll be time to bolt it up to the 3UZ and carry out a test fit and start fabricating the motor mounts.

What maintenance to carry out while T/Case and Gearbox are out?

So I have the T/Case stripped down and cleaned. The gearbox is on the bench ready to be stripped down. So while these bits are on the bench and easy to work on what maintenance should I be carrying out? Seals are a given. I was thinking of doing all of the bearings but upon inspection most feel good. The front output shaft had play in it prior to stripping the T/Case down and this bearing has some slop in it where as the others don't. So how far should I go with servicing this. I want it to be reliable first and foremost, but I also don't want to throw money at bits that don't need replacing, according to Toyodiy some of those bearings aren't cheap :wtf:.

Any suggestions, comments, advice welcome.

Cheers
Ryan

Nice progress Ryan. :thumbup:

Are you not tempted to fit lower ratio gears in the transfercase while you have it apart? :icon-twisted:

They are pretty tough transferboxes but the bearings on the output shafts are known to wear, so I'd be replacing them while you have it all apart.

I'd only fit genuine Toyota seals, but with the bearings...............take the bearings to your local bearing place and try and get them from there. You should still be able to get Koyo bearings the same as the originals but without the high price that comes with the Toyota packaging. :icon-wink:

Forgot to ask..........

I take it you've got all the 70 series FSM's for those all important torque settings?

Let me know if you haven't. :icon-wink:

Hey dude,

Yep I have the FSM's so all good there. I am confused about one thing, what transfer case do I have? I have been looking at gear sets on Marlins website but my T/case doesn't look like the ones on their www...

I checked the VIN plate on the 70. Pretty sure I have the R150F transmission. Wouldn't the transfer case have its own model number?

Regrding body size/shape i think the smaller the body the better i think, Always had a soft spot for Nick's truck. He's redesigning it at the minute as the bodywork took a right battering over the last year or two so it was looking abit sorry for itself - that's why i'd try and keep bodywork to a minimum (admittedy nick did use it for winch challenging as well as U4 but still)

JMR1000 is a good bit of kit, if you haven't already got it i'd recommend Bend-tech!

Last edited:
I picked up a copy of bend tech a week or so ago. It seems awesome. Been playing around with it. This is loosely based on the cruisers dims.

Iso Front - 1.jpgFront - 1.jpgSide - 1.jpgTop - 1.jpg

I agree with cutting as much as possible away, I'm just not sure how far I can go and still be compliant with the modified class rules. I'd be tempted to cut the roof off and ditch the windscreen, but not sure that I'll maintain enough of the body to compl. The rules state: "
All vehicles shall resemble an OEM production vehicle,and the body shall be complete with the following limitationsand exceptions: Modifications to the body for performance and/or clearance are permitted but must preserve the lookof the stock body, as originally manufactured."

I checked with Ultra4Europe and they confirmed if I follow what Nick did I'd be ok...

Yep that's the gearbox, the transfer box should have its own code, not a clue what it is though but this place sells them

http://www.marks4wd.com/low-range-overdrive-gears/low-range-gears/toyota.html

Pricy though :O

Ok, so I do have the R150F then. I'll check the VIN plate when I'm back up at my workshop on the weekend but I am 99% sure it said R150F on it...

Those gears would be nice, but I still have a lot of other items to but to complete this build before I can consider gears. The shocks are going to be pricey pill to swallow (circa £2.5K)...

Anyone want to sponsor me...:crazy:

Good work on the Bend-tech! the first few times i played around with it i designed stuff in the assembly function like you have, but for actually making stuff i've found it much easier and accurate to design each tube individually in the custom 3d part mode, the 'verify' function then means you can check the dimensions exactly where you want to check its going to come out exactly as you plan.
Would probably be quite awkward to tie the bulkhead/scuttle in to the cage if you went without a windscreen, im interested to see what Nick's up to with his now, what his looked like before is about as minimalistic as you could go on the bodywork whilst keeping the LC look.

I haven't tried the 3D part mode yet. I'll have a play around with it.:thumbup:

I was thinking if I could cut the roof and run the front hoop to follow the lines of the OEM A-Pillars that would preserve the lines of the vehicle and in turn let me drop a bit more weight and not having a windscreen to worry about breaking would be a plus...

Progress update.

Gearbox and transfer case are fully stripped down, cleaned up and ready for reassembly once I receive parts (and get round to ordering them...)

a3a7a5499e9242eafef3967bfeb75e49.jpg

82c802ef4bc699772941926b3f0b7596.jpg

eebf95a02a5f592b3520cdebaeeecdbe.jpg

I had to make up a jig for my press to be able to press the gear sets off of the shafts.
cbd6035cc16a9d32f2e0008c12c7bb7c.jpg

Obligatory weld shot...
450d5939baafaa3f46aec6ac17b19679.jpg

So after all that I pulled the wiring harness off of the motor.
1f7866e12c86c072f5e823474f3ca47d.jpg

All plugs have been labelled on the motor and the harness.
291c437562b99b2209511db22372669e.jpg

Then I went on to remove the fenders and inner fender walls.
771fcd8b25c9c84885a286a259dec478.jpg

6b1291cad76f2601dbc28f0ce16f95f7.jpg

33dd0f8ef65cae6c5a92bbf35788c35f.jpg

And then onto the first test for for the motor, this is it pretty much in place.
c457eb0f094dcf9b603cbd913c922701.jpg

b6009490c80a11cd0aa4a4d63b959b2c.jpg

4f9341a7f4254d61f4cbf08631100ceb.jpg

Next weekends mission is to make up the motor mounts and then start tackling the wiring.

Back