Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Angel eye headlights, wiring question.

CAT

Country Flag
ireland
Got some angel eye headlights for my 90, just a question for anyone who has wired them already. Did you splice or connect the LED halo wires to the side light which is turned on with the first twist of the light switch lever in the cab? I suppose you would call them parking lights maybe? The wire is pictured in this ebay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chrome...d-Cruiser-Prado-FJ90-FJ95-96-02-/401348345077

Installed the headlights and pretty happy with them so far, need to get them aligned next week and see if they are actually legal or not. lol

I'm guessing they are probably daytime running lights. Usually on with ignition but off when any of the other lights are on so a local relay and some extra wiring would be needed to achieve this.

I just tapped into the side light wires . You could search for an ignition live so they come on every time you turn the key but i felt that was just shortening their life for no purpose .

I just tapped into the side light wires . You could search for an ignition live so they come on every time you turn the key but i felt that was just shortening their life for no purpose .

That's what I was thinking of doing Shayne, thanks for confirming.

My passenger side headlight would not adjust enough to get it within the required legal window. The cogwheel adjuster just kept spinning without moving the beam. The drivers light was fine though. So off back to the warehouse with the passenger one, they are RHD though so all good from that perspective.

Any progress CAT? Are they really "projector" or just twin lamps with the LED Angle eyes? Also, are the LEDs bright enough to be seen in bright daylight if using them as DRL's?
Thanks,
Geoff

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep I got the light back and it was in working order but they only want to cover £15 of the postage fees so need to open an ebay case on the matter.
There is a photo of them on this thread https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/in-for-a-penny.149341/ . The Halo LEDs around the headlight are nice, they provide minimal direct light they are more for show but do look well.
Not too sure what you mean by projector headlights, I don't claim to know too much about the different types of bulbs lights etc.
I suppose they are twin lamp in that dipped is one bulb in the headlight and main beam is the other.

OK got that thanks - I think I am learning to speak "Anglo/Cyp" I cant remember if it was a term I had heard before I came here or not? In MY context, some headlights come with what looks like a lens - this may turn out to be OEM HID lights but I am not sure.

Do you think having two separate bulbs/lamps makes the overall headlight any brighter?

Thanks,
Geoff

Yep I got the light back and it was in working order but they only want to cover £15 of the postage fees so need to open an ebay case on the matter.
There is a photo of them on this thread https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/in-for-a-penny.149341/ . The Halo LEDs around the headlight are nice, they provide minimal direct light they are more for show but do look well.
Not too sure what you mean by projector headlights, I don't claim to know too much about the different types of bulbs lights etc.
I suppose they are twin lamp in that dipped is one bulb in the headlight and main beam is the other.

That’s why I have so many relays...

I wanted the dip to stay on when the mains came on, so I set up relays to power the dips from the mains supply.

Now the dip is dip, and the main is both dip & main.

I may be wrong, but AFAIK, projectors means the beam passes through a lense, as do the dipped lights (the outers) on my angel eye units.
The mains (inners) are plain glass, (well plastic actually).

So the lense creates a focused beam, where the reflector cuts the beam off in a nice straight “horizon”, whilst the plain glass just gives a bucket full of light up front.

Back