Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another FSM gone missing!

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
A few months back I 'had' 26 factory workshop manuals on a separate drive and I lost one, I have no idea where? So, I gave out a shout on this forum and a kind soul (Thank you) sent me a copy of said manual, so my collection was complete once again.

Tomorrow I am going to fit a couple of the HD Dobinson's lower trailing arms and as anything like this should be tightened with the car unladen so the ride height is correct however, my car has a full length roof rack fitted along with the usual tent/spare wheel/sand ladders/high lift jack and other odds and ends, so I need to jack the body up away from the axle.

So car is on the ramps ready for a start tomorrow morning, and I go to check the bump stop to axle clearance from one of my factory manuals and the one with the ride height info is missing? Now, it may have been the one someone sent me back way back when but I am not sure? So, I need the FSM or at least the bump stop to axle measurements front and rear, can anyone oblige?

Plenty of rim to arch measurements abound but nothing stock, my 80 is stock height as is the wheel size.

I hope someone is still up as I need the info ASAP.

The manual going missing has to be me slowly losing it, I have probably filed it under a name that has no bearing on the LC...or perhaps any car for that matter?

Many thanks

regards

Dave

EDIT: Just rechecked this post and found the lower half missing, then realised that between logging in and completing the post I had been logged out?

Last edited:
Forgive me for saying it but sounds a bit O.C.D to me , its a round peg through a round hole and it should be tightened where it will sit naturally for many years to come i.e. carrying its typical load

though of course i'm happy to be corrected ?

Hi Shayne and thanks for the reply.

If the voided bushes are tightened with the body to axle dimension wrong this can lead to torn bushes at a later date. When fitted with the axle to body dimension correct for being unladen the bush voids take up a neutral position, and are then able to flex with axle movement.

Thanks for the thought though.

Regards

Dave

Anything on here?
Can't see any specific body to axle measurements in the specs.

3CF60607-EF9F-4260-94D6-33585303DB97.png

.......or here!

583671CC-32C2-462B-9EE5-5BC7C63F7B41.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that, it is not the diagram I was looking for and I think it is for the older HDJ80, perhaps the 90-93m model? It is a handy reference all the same.

Your right I do not see the axle to bump stop measurement either ooooor, is that what is being called the 'spring follower' clearance?

regards

Dave

Superb! The second one down you added is similar to the one I was looking for.

The previous data sheet showed the earlier model with the smaller tyres for Europe, the second one show the correct way to check ride height, it also has the dimensions which I think were the same for the bump stop to axle on all models up to and including 94.

So you my friend can go to sleep knowing you have helped a fellow cruiser in his hour of need. :thumbup:

Many thanks

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, I found the second page in the FSM supplement issued Aug'92.:thumbup:. Glad it helped.

@Dave 2000 your own information to me a few months back,

No need to move/jack the car, just lean under the front with a small plastic ruler and measure the gap between the axle and the rubber stop/follower.

Standard gap for the front is 1.54", and rear is 4.61" that is the European spec

cheers

@Jake the Peg thanks for that you see what age is doing to me? :D

I knew I had the data somewhere so it must have come from the pdf file I have lost....again! I spent an hour plus looking through various files last night with no luck, and strange that it did not come up when I did the search on here?

Anyway, I will get them changed in a couple of hours time ready for the yearly inspection.

EDIT: Your mention of it being in a supplement changed my search area and sure enough it was there! So, all I need to know is where number 19 pdf went from my FSM library.

If anyone has a list I could check against that would be good?

Many thanks

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Bloody typical! I gets under the 80 today and find the rubber from the bump stops is missing. Fortunately over on my long running MUD thread I had posted up some dimensions of my own car when laden and unladen, fortunately I had measured from the rim to the arch.

So the axle location arms arms are fitted, an exhaust mount had torn so that was replaced, they don't seem to last long over here, so I always have a set in stock.

Just need to purchase and replace the bump stops.

Many thanks again for data assistance.

regards

Dave

Back