Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another yota

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
Well after I'd lost all hope in getting a hilux for a new daily driver to replace the old damper van this gem cropped up. Vx model so air con and central locking, electric windows. 120000 mile so barely run in. Not much to do on it really, serviced, timing belt. Replaced the back springs yesterday as they'd both snapped. Had an alarm fitted, cleaned chassis up just ready for waxoyl next week got a couple of days off. Should be on road next month all being well

20180430_192434.jpg 20180519_165208.jpg 20180519_165215.jpg 20180519_165239.jpg 20180519_165246.jpg

Looks good Josh, just a signature update and you’re done it seems :lol:

Well after I'd lost all hope in getting a hilux for a new daily driver to replace the old damper van this gem cropped up. Vx model so air con and central locking, electric windows. 120000 mile so barely run in. Not much to do on it really, serviced, timing belt. Replaced the back springs yesterday as they'd both snapped. Had an alarm fitted, cleaned chassis up just ready for waxoyl next week got a couple of days off. Should be on road next month all being well

View attachment 144811 View attachment 144812 View attachment 144813 View attachment 144814 View attachment 144815
Snap.. i just picked up a gem of a hilux yesterday too. Mines a mk 4 so basic with wind up Windows but that was what i wanted. Another great toyota 4x4.

20180519_212418.jpg 20180519_212223.jpg 20180519_212402.jpg

Nice.
I personally wouldnt use wax oil on rust/bare metal. I once wasted a lot of time prepping and wax oiling my 80, it only seemed to have a detrimental effect..

Nice.
I personally wouldnt use wax oil on rust/bare metal. I once wasted a lot of time prepping and wax oiling my 80, it only seemed to have a detrimental effect..
Even the proper 're usable tins? What else would you recommend?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anyone got any better suggestions than waxoyl? I'm not paying someone else to do it neither as I've done all the sh1t work scraping mud off it's only the easy bit left!

I've been using this 3m shultz product
20180522_070401.jpg

I did my 81 with it about 5 years back and its still in pretty good shape under there.
You have a nice mk5 hilux there mate!:thumbup:

Nice little find there josh.

A fair few people love the buzz weld product. its quite common in the LR world i belive. @Trevor may be able to advise.

Thanks chaps not sure what I'm gunna do now, got the waxoyl and gun ready for Thursday spraying! Little time to get anything else ordered now. A mate of ours who has a 110 has always waxoyled it and it looks like brand new underneath, not bad for an s reg green oval, I even asked to buy it it's that clean. I suppose it's same as anything you hear good and bad reviews about everything. If it's shite I'll do it again next year, I don't like being bored anyway....

Nice little find there josh.

A fair few people love the buzz weld product. its quite common in the LR world i belive. @Trevor may be able to advise.
That looks a nice finish, might treat the 80 with that. I don't want it to feel unloved all this attention on hilux

Thanks chaps not sure what I'm gunna do now, got the waxoyl and gun ready for Thursday spraying! Little time to get anything else ordered now. A mate of ours who has a 110 has always waxoyled it and it looks like brand new underneath, not bad for an s reg green oval, I even asked to buy it it's that clean. I suppose it's same as anything you hear good and bad reviews about everything. If it's shite I'll do it again next year, I don't like being bored anyway....

I think the concern with wax oil when it's not a new surface is it just continues to rust away underneath. I saw a 100 series that had been carefully treated a few years after the fact ... with the wax oil falling off in chunks to worse rust underneath. Don't take my comment as gospel though as I'm far from experienced in this area ... just echoing what some others have said and sharing the one example i've seen in person.

Looks like a gem. As others have said, Waxoyl is the bad choice. Get it down to Krown and have done with it. It'll be peachy for years to come.

Even the proper 're usable tins? What else would you recommend?
sorry for the late reply.

josh, twice ive spent an age writing a lengthy reply and twice ive lost it..
forgive me for the short version..
yes, the big tins. spent days with the needle gun to get a pretty damn good surface. looked great for a couple of years then turned to shit.

if your going to use the stuff maybe use a commercial rust converter first, theres a lot on the market some used on bridges and ships.
some quality bodywork lads round here recommend this range to me: https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/

right, putting my laptop in the log burner now before these new laws come into effect..

####ing computers..

Righto I shall rust convert first, I'm not painting straight on rust. (I know the pictures look like that but ive cleaned further) I'll grind it all off first. I should have posted this sooner to give chance to get some other paint etc first as I've booked the days off now

POR 15 is the best by far. A little more prep work, but the application is as simple as following their instructions. And rust/oxidation will never occur if prepped/applied correctly. So much so, that I even treat steel parts with it when they are new/not oxidized.

Little done to the hilux in quite a while, dad's land rover is undergoing a rebuild so we've been doing that mainly. Last month put a water pump on it, not painful easy enough job. Today's job was more exciting, new rear locker time! As winter is round the corner and this is my daily drive thought it might be handy....... Come off in one piece to my surprise, plugs came straight off too. Plugged in the new un tried it with it off and cycled fine, bolted it up engaged straight away but the light doesn't stay lit up constant so I'm suspecting maybe a faulty switch, another job for another day

New wheels and tyres purchased from a guy at work, about half the price as new so couldn't refuse them. Hankook dynapro m/t. Seem alright so far need to try them off road (any excuse!)

20181107_183618.jpg

Back