Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anti Lock Braking System

Spinglehoffer1

Country Flag
uk
Recently took ownership of my daughters 2002 Colorado VX D4D, the deal was that if she couldn't afford it muggins would sell his immaculate 96 3 door Petrol Prado with no faults for her 5 door tractor with lots to fix. Just put it in for MOT and mini service and got a long list and failure. Some honourable dealer had taped over the anti lock braking system warning light! Result warning light could not be seen. Mechanic cannot get any readings from it and is struggling to find a new unit, any advise?
Other items he says are needed
New Horn - Parking Brake Cable - Front Wheel Bearing -Track Rod Bal Joint - Air Bag light on - and a partidge in a pear tree!

Help!!

Hi, welcome to the forum. At some stage pop over to the introduce yourself area and give us a bit of background on your truck.

As for the bits you list, the handbrake is a known weakness, (it's essentially the same as the old Carina) and a cable is not expensive. It is relatively easy to get right bit it seems to baffle some 'mechanics'

The ABS is possibly a sensor fault, or it can be triggered by a bad earth in the wiring, usually around the rear bumper lights. Is the ABS working?

The fact it's needing the horn fixed and the airbag light being on, suggests to me there's an issue with the connections in the clock spring. There was a thread here about it recently, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a similar thing. It seems too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Wheel bearing.. what mileage? Mine is still on its originals and they're sound.
Track rod and ball joint are just wearing parts.

Hope it's of some help. Often a bit of TLC to get older trucks to a base line is needed.

i would put power to the horn itself and if it made a noise jump straight to the clock spring because like as not that would explain the airbag light as well . Someone found them selling for a tenner recently if you search the forum for "squib" you should find a link easy enough .

ABS usually just means sensors need cleaning but it may be worth bleeding the brakes because if it was last done with the rear axle carrying no weight the load sensing valve will stay empty of fluid .

I have never heard of a collie wheel bearing failing ?

Bob & Shayne,

Isn't it re-assuring to know that with all the crap going on in the world and dodgy mechanics i can rely on Lancruiser, its club and particulalrly its knowledgable members for some solid and reliable advise,

Thanks, will enjoy showing mechanic!!

Hi, welcome to the forum. At some stage pop over to the introduce yourself area and give us a bit of background on your truck.

As for the bits you list, the handbrake is a known weakness, (it's essentially the same as the old Carina) and a cable is not expensive. It is relatively easy to get right bit it seems to baffle some 'mechanics'

The ABS is possibly a sensor fault, or it can be triggered by a bad earth in the wiring, usually around the rear bumper lights. Is the ABS working?

The fact it's needing the horn fixed and the airbag light being on, suggests to me there's an issue with the connections in the clock spring. There was a thread here about it recently, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a similar thing. It seems too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Wheel bearing.. what mileage? Mine is still on its originals and they're sound.
Track rod and ball joint are just wearing parts.

Hope it's of some help. Often a bit of TLC to get older trucks to a base line is needed.

Hi, firstly tks again for advise, think i will change to a more mature mechanic who appreciates a Landcruiser. Tried a few emergency stops and ABS didn't kick in would this still be sensor/bleeding?

Tks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most likely to be a sensor I would think.

The issue you're facing is all too common as many fellas working in garages/dealers are not mechanics in the old sense.. computer says this is at fault.. rip it out and replace it.

Its not just with Mechanics. We had a fault in a Night Storage Heater in a flat we own, the heater is four years old. The Letting Agent sent in an Electrician - His recommendation . . .

"Rip it out and replace it with a new one at £760."

I then adopted the problem. A new thermostat and overheat cut-out fixed it - under Warranty. If you want a job doing properly do it yourself!

Bob.

Back