Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any Cylinder mower experts here?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

I have bought a Masport Olympic 660 (26 inch petrol cylinder mower) probably a 2010 model.

When I used it the other day, I noticed only one half of the rear drive drum assembly was driving, the right side was driving, but not the left.
I understand, as it is a fair size mower, then the rear drive drum has a differential to aid turning around the garden.

Has any one ever opened up one of the rear drums, to know how the differential drives (or not drives in my case)

Graham

Could be as simple as a roll pin.... I doubt it's very technical ....

Not sure on the Masports but some had a ratchet to allow turning. You have to split the frame to remove the roller. Not as bad as it sounds and would be part of a mower shop winter servicing. Remove engine and drive belts/chains first then tip on its side and undo bolts. Remove both blades for regrind and roller for inspection. ratchet system is usually on the shaft between the two rollers. Could just need freeing up.
Replace bearings as necessary and re grease on reassembly in reverse order. Will be good as new after. Masports used to be well built mowers.

Thank you both.
Splitting the frame.
Sounds difficult.

I would ask a few pointers first though ?

Back