Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any DX/barn door owners help with a part query...?

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
Hi all,

I recently ordered a new set of outer weather strips for my VX (the rigid part along the bottom of the windows, not the rubber runners). The part numbers I ordered were:
68210-60010
68180-60010
68160-60010
68230-60010

What arrived, didn't fit. Not even close.

Amyama says I ordered the wrong parts - that what I ordered was for the DX or 'barn door' models. Now while I confess I've never seen one up close, I've studied pictures and can't see any difference in the outer door/window trim. So I'd expect them to fit...

So, either: the parts have been incorrectly packaged, in which case I need some sort of validation with which to go back to Amayama,

Or: these are in fact 'inner' weatherstrips, that are at the same location, but obviously on the inside of the window - this is something that only exists on a DX because the GX & VX have it on the door cards.

Can anyone advise? @clivehorridge perhaps?

Mmm, do you mean that you ordered (or intended to order) the horizontal strip running front to rear, at each door and side window?

If yes, then there's no difference whether you have a tailgate or barn/ambulance door rear set. My evidence is that side window sets in the rear body (not the side doors) have been changed on mine from a "tailgate" 80, they are the same.

The only difference discovered by this forum, is between a single fixed glass side window (usually on JDM imports) and the sliding 2-glass (more usual) set up. The black vertical vented trim is slightly different in this case.

All 4 side doors are the same as "tailgate" 80 doors too, irrespective of trim. It may be plain black or chrome like mine, or even colour coded to the vehicle, but they are the same as "tailgate" models.

Post up a photo of what they sent to you (allegedly the 4 part numbers you posted) and someone else might kindly suggest different numbers or confirm yours as correct.

I'm not at the truck at the moment, but later I'll post a photo of what you're describing on my truck, you can let me know if you're talking about something different.

Cheers !

Photies, mines a GX so they're chrome finish, but the trim has a black plastic base with a chrome finish metal insert. I imagine the variants are black metal or colour coded metal to suit the vehicle colour, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Drivers' side window trim...

IMG_9562.JPG

Drivers' side door window trim...

IMG_9563.JPG

Passenger rear side door window trim...

IMG_9564.JPG

Rear side (sliding type) window trim...

IMG_9565.JPG

A bit of a close-up of the trim itself... (complete with a dink, that I hadn't noticed before :shifty:)

IMG_9566.JPG

Rear ambulance doors.... no trim at all, just the rubber surround holding the glass in ....

IMG_9567.JPG

That's it from me for the moment.

Hi Guy,

I think I may be able to help with this as I ordered and fitted a full set of black 'scraper mouldings' and corresponding rear side window mouldings from Amayama last year for my JDM HDJ81. I used the Reg number from a UK spec 80 to get the part numbers, as i wanted black not chrome,and all was good.

The numbers are:-
7572060021 £24.80
7571060021 £24.80
7573060020 £24.89
7574060020 £24.89
7566060020 £15.30
7567060020 £15.30
IMG_9929.JPG

Difficult to see I know but all along just below the glass. I would guess the cheaper ones were the rears but you should check this.

Sorry to say it looks like you possibly do have the wrong part but without seeing a photo it's hard to tell but I suspect you're right about the DX version havingbinternal wiper seals.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes
Rich

Thanks Clive and Garry,

I think I misunderstood the barn door reference and assumed it referred to the ambulance doors - but I think it just means completely standard models.

So yes - I just mean the driver and passenger doors, not the rear side or rear windows.

I'm coming to the conclusion this is just one of those strange Toyota part names. It says 'outer', but that must just means it's not part of the internal door workings, but it sits on the inside of the cabin, where you rest your elbow. VX and GX don't have them but DXs have more basic door cards...

Here they are, the one on the left is what I wanted - massive difference as you can see.

IMG_0027.JPG

You can see what I mean here with the different interior trim on the DX.

http://car-us.com/img/source/big/281407143459_6.jpg

Ho hum!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Rich - yes those are part numbers I wanted, and Amayama gave me 10% off which was decent of them as it now appears it was entirely my own cock-up!

Glad it's sorted Guy. Pretty decent of Amayama.
I wonder if those are for another model as they don't look long enough for an 80?

Still, looks like you've got some nice new ones coming. I know how pleased I was when mine turned up. They transformed the look of the truck.

Thanks Clive and Garry,

I think I misunderstood the barn door reference and assumed it referred to the ambulance doors - but I think it just means completely standard models.

So yes - I just mean the driver and passenger doors, not the rear side or rear windows.

I'm coming to the conclusion this is just one of those strange Toyota part names. It says 'outer', but that must just means it's not part of the internal door workings, but it sits on the inside of the cabin, where you rest your elbow. VX and GX don't have them but DXs have more basic door cards...

Here they are, the one on the left is what I wanted - massive difference as you can see.

View attachment 123894

You can see what I mean here with the different interior trim on the DX.

http://car-us.com/img/source/big/281407143459_6.jpg

Ho hum!

How odd that toyota make such a distinction between models, you'd think it would be cheaper to keep things standard, even at a higher level of trim...

My truck I'd Euro spec, which is way down on the standard UK spec. Even so, my door cards wrap over the metallic margin showing in white on your photo, and the 'wiper' trim on the inside of the widows is integral with (attached to) the door card.

Anyway, glad it's all sorted, and yes, it's a credit to Amayama that they treated this the way they did. :thumbup:

Hi Guy,

I think I may be able to help with this as I ordered and fitted a full set of black 'scraper mouldings' and corresponding rear side window mouldings from Amayama last year for my JDM HDJ81. I used the Reg number from a UK spec 80 to get the part numbers, as i wanted black not chrome,and all was good.

The numbers are:-
7572060021 £24.80
7571060021 £24.80
7573060020 £24.89
7574060020 £24.89
7566060020 £15.30
7567060020 £15.30
View attachment 123895

Difficult to see I know but all along just below the glass. I would guess the cheaper ones were the rears but you should check this.

Sorry to say it looks like you possibly do have the wrong part but without seeing a photo it's hard to tell but I suspect you're right about the DX version havingbinternal wiper seals.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes
Rich
Sorry to bring back an ancient thread but im new to the whole 80 series thing.

Just a question for you StarCruiser in reagards to those part numbers,
wondering if you know if they can be installed on an Aussie gxl variant that currently has the chrome trim pieces.

Cheers

Hi Crimson, my JDM import had the chrome ones and I ordered the black ones and they fitted perfectly. I see no reason why they would’ve changed the body on the Aussie ones. The push fit clips slide along a bit anyway if needed. Mine was for the fixed window 80. Not sure if there’s any difference with the opening window type.

Back