Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any idea's

joinerman

Garage
We have a wood burner that stands on a quarry tiled hearth, today i thought no more fires this year so removed the log pile & thought i will clean up the tiles, trouble is they have a sort of sticky tar coating on them, no matter what i have tried nothing will shift it, i have tried Ciff, soap & water, white spirit, Meths, washing powder as a paste, baking powder & vinegar, any idea's ?

Coke / monster energy drink or wd40 might do it

Have you tried paraffin? White spirit usually dissolved ours when we got it. Like toffee isn’t it? If it’s a biggish lump you may need to soak a bit of rag or kitchen towel in white spirit or paraffin and sit it on it to soak in and soften it. It’ll take a bit of rubbing with a cloth to get it shifting.

Hadn't thought of those, mind you if i use WD40 i will be in trouble from OH about the smell lol

Another smell issue, but diesel tends to dissolve resin/oil/tar based compounds very effectively. It's what I use to clean up TEC7 sealant and heavy oil paint.. all done in the shed though!!

Search for stovax glass cleaner. Its the best stuff ive ever found for cleaning thick black gunk off the glass so should work just as well for your tiles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Search for stovax glass cleaner. Its the best stuff ive ever found for cleaning thick black gunk off the glass so should work just as well for your tiles.
Even better is wet newspaper and ash from the fire.

I didn’t believe it either until I tried it.

I doubt it (newspaper) will sort JM’s log issue though.

The Stovax stuff is excellent but is really caustic.

Actually, lets assume its carbon based so maybe try some carb cleaner. The stone may be porous so you might never remove all trace. Perhaps you could tarmac over it

I use an Industrial Cleaner called "Ubic 2000", it will take the skin off your hands if you're not careful. It also eats aluminium . . . . Great stuff :laughing-rolling:.

I took some hydraulic rams from my tractor to a Co. in Glasgow for re-furbishing and was asked - "How did you get them so clean??" - "Ubic 200, I said".

"O.M.G. - We used to use that but Health and Safety threatened to close us down".

It works :thumbup:.

Bob.

I use an Industrial Cleaner called "Ubic 2000", it will take the skin off your hands if you're not careful. It also eats aluminium . . . . Great stuff :laughing-rolling:.

I took some hydraulic rams from my tractor to a Co. in Glasgow for re-furbishing and was asked - "How did you get them so clean??" - "Ubic 200, I said".

"O.M.G. - We used to use that but Health and Safety threatened to close us down".

It works :thumbup:.

Bob.

Tee hee, like the sound of that stuff Bob :lol:

I remember moons ago finding half a drum of concrete cleaner on one of the sites, as it was shutting down, so into the back of my old estate car it went.

Used it to clean up some scabby-looking brickwork (commons), and it damn-near dissolved the bricks.:lol:

That had health warnings and corrosive stickers all over it...

Pressure washer?

A paste of bio washing powder gets most things off if left for a day. Either that or caustic soda from Wilco.

Silly me, I thought it was an outdoor log burner.
Perfectly understandable Chas. Being a kindly sort of chap, why wouldn’t you want to keep the local wildlife warm in the winter?

:)

Even better is wet newspaper and ash from the fire.

I didn’t believe it either until I tried it.

I doubt it (newspaper) will sort JM’s log issue though.

The Stovax stuff is excellent but is really caustic.
ill give that a try rich. is it a chemical thing with the ash? cant be abrasive with wood ash?

ill give that a try rich. is it a chemical thing with the ash? cant be abrasive with wood ash?
Not sure really but it works far better than you’d ever imagine. Even on really tooty bits. You need to do it a few times but it really gets the glass clean and if you drop any on the hearth it’s not going to rot a hole to the centre of the earth. :)

Back