Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any reason not to buy General Grabber AT2s?

I should try really, i didn't buy it originally but i have bought one since so could blag my way to another new one ;)

Crispin said:
Thanks chaps,

Would the slower speed rating / higher load have the stronger sidewall?

Jon - only reason for getting them before the weekend is fear of ruining another Dunlop.
The first time I went there I ripped a brand new one, I figure I'll get better tyres before it happens again.
Having said that, Tommo also had a puncture in his BFG so actually means nothing... :?

Actually mate that puncture was in a GG!

But having said that, i had not aired down any and was running them at 40psi as i had been experimenting with pressures at the time. Add that to the fact that the terrain at Salisbury plain is harsh on any tyre i think that eh decision comes down to monies, GG, BFG, TOYO i don't think you'll be disappointed in any.

Would i but GG's again, most definitely.

I am officially poorer. Grabber AT2s ordered, they coming to fit tomorrow morning.

Now, anyone want some Dunpop Grand Treks? They awesome tyres ;)
(in fairness, they have been good to me so far, can't knock them really)

ok, Dunpop was a typo - not intentional. :lol:

I know the local marina wants some tyres to fix to the quay as fenders ;)

IIRC doesn't the Event Tyres price / service include old tyre disposal? :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Should have bought the Cooper STTs.

You'll be sorry - very sorry....

:twisted: :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure they'll be just fine - enjoy Saturday with them!

did you know, the disposal fee is a government level? I got into an argument with one company because I want to keep my old ones. I will dispose of via ebay (hopefully!)
The disposal fee was £2. He reduced it to £1. I said make it zero. He could not. System would not allow it. He said he's already discounted other things so it does not matter. It does bloody matter!

/Rant.

I did want the STTs Gary but could not bring myself to buy them for some reason.... (Oh, and the fact that event tyres says cooper don't make a 265 70 17...)

Fitted!

First impression: Damn that's a lot of tread! You could run over a small fury animal and not hurt it.
Drove it 3 parking spaces and they brilliant. They go round like the others did :lol: (Drive was only to park again, not a test!)

Anyway, if nothing else, they look better than what I had. Will see in the long run I guess. Any snow coming?

Congrats on the purchase :twisted:

All we need is a bit of rain before Saturday and there'll be a brand new set of GG AT2s for sale next Monday and you'll have some MTs on order? :mrgreen:

not funny. If a Tony, on Dunlops, goes where I cannot, I'll be upset... :cry:

I do want to try that stupid grass patch where I got stuck last time :oops:

Won't that be the best test for them?

So first thoughts:
They feel different to the Grandtreks. Not sure how or why but sometimes they feel looser. When driving over 40-50, there seems to be a "play spot". Dead centre it feels like the wheel is loose on the hub. Not a wobble but more like there is play in the steering. This only happens on occasion though.
They are slightly noisier. There is a bit of a hum from them over 70. (on the closed test track! ;) ) Nothing offensive though.

Went through a mud puddle which would cause the grandtreks to slip and ATRAC to help you out. These did not such thing. Just pulled away like there was nothing wrong.

I'll see how this "wobble / play" thing gets on. It's a bit disconcerting when driving. There is nothing wrong with it, turn the wheel and the truck turns, also no drifting so it's more a sensation than real. Maybe something I just need to get used to / live with? (Or just imagination)

As for the tread, it's only when I put one next to the grandtrek that you realise how little tread the grandtrek has! They look like slicks next to them. (Not knocking, the, they obviously a decent road tyre) but there's no wonder why you need to change them if you want to do anything real. I would love to see the grandtreks in sand now...

All in all - I am happy so far with the MT2s. :D

Ian Rubie said:
[quote="Crispin":2nftoobv]All in all - I am happy so far with the MT2s. :D

Deep down you know you should have bought MT's :twisted:

Ian[/quote:2nftoobv]

DOH!

Now there's a slip....

Any pictures of the new boots yet?

Will this be avoided next time?

crispin2new.jpg

Some questions:

The Grandtreks felt more sure-footed when driving over 40 in a straight line. There is an odd "sensation" that these feel like they want to fall off. Is that normal with AT tyres? There is no problem as a quick swerve and the truck changes direction, so it's more a sensation than real. (If that makes sense)

In the wet and on damp roads, there is no difference between the grandtreks and the AT2s. Braking and cornering all about the same.
Where the AT2s do shine though is standing water. Nothing phases them. On my usual flooded country lane, I could look like a power boat with the wake I could create. With these, there is little more than a splash. No over-the-roof- stuff. I guess the grandtreks displaced the water whereas the AT2s just forced forced it into one of a million hiding places in the tread.

All in, still very happy.

Paul said:
Any pictures of the new boots yet?

Will this be avoided next time?

crispin2new.jpg

OI! No embarrassing pics. The camera plays tricks on you - That looks a lot flatter than it was. IIRC, it was about 30-35 degree slope? :lol:

Yes, I do want to try that again and see...

I did think twice about putting that pic up.
Just tried to remove it but the edit button has dissappeared :twisted:

Back