Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any reason not to buy General Grabber AT2s?

Crispin said:
Some questions:

The Grandtreks felt more sure-footed when driving over 40 in a straight line. There is an odd "sensation" that these feel like they want to fall off. Is that normal with AT tyres? There is no problem as a quick swerve and the truck changes direction, so it's more a sensation than real. (If that makes sense)

It's probably just down to the thicker, stiffer sidewalls of the AT2s. For sure you should expect the ride to be a bit different with a slightly less sharp response but also some deadening of bumps in the road. Not sure about the "wanting to fall off" - can you describe this sensation a little more clearly? :lol: Also have you checked that all the studs were properly tightened? :twisted:

Cheers,

Tyre pressures worth checking too, most tyre fitters dont get it right.

Wanting to fall off:
When driving in a straight line on a smooth road, sometimes the steering "wobbles" or pulls to one side (slightly) but is very "loose". It's as if you drove into a pothole / one wheel through a deep puddle but there is no resistance.

I really don't know how else to explain it. Still not sure if it is my imagination :oops:

I asked him to inflate them to 3/3.5bar (not sure what that is in PIS :cool: ) but will double check.

Andrew - there is no deadening of bumps in the road with these. Compared to the Dunlops, they feel like rocks. Pressures were the same.

I do like them though :D

3.5 bar!!!!!!!!!! Thats 49 psi.
Sounds a bit high to me.

erm, maybe I should double check then before they go bang.

Maybe that's why I can feel every stone in the road :oops:

Might be a tad hi unless you are really heavily loaded.

I run my BFG AT around 37-38 psi.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
/Crispin goes out to the carpark to check...

Mine felt a bit vague sometimes too mate, sometimes it pulled one way then sometimes the other.

Answer: Change the steering rack bushes for polybushes.

Now it's sharp and direct.

So after deflating to 30PSI as per Tommo's recommendation, these things are well behaved on road as well. The drive back from the plain on Saturday had none of the "weirdness" I felt earlier. Far more behaved.
They also have a slight bulge in the sidewall now and not like a drum skin anymore...

They also behaved nicely at Salisbury Plain on Saturday...

Did you go down kiwi hill after all?

Yes. We had actually driven past it. Found it (Bulford Camp IIRC) and then saw on memory map we had actually driven past it. Went up and played around a bit up there and came back down, called it a day.
Going up was uneventful, was very dry. The dunlops last time did not complain, Tony also had no issue. All that flint makes for a lovely surface.

I did contemplate going down the one Tommo said was hairy in the wet (it looked dry on the day) but chickened out...

So you didn't do the actual steep grassy slope then? Just the track going to it.

Back