Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone driven Raisthwaite-Gawthwaite lane in lakes?

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
anyone driven this lane?

U5079 GR273864 to GR277871 Raisthwaite Lane (Blawith & Subberthwaite) Yes 0.97 1 way traffic for 4x4s north to south.

I found this footage of some greenovals driving it last year, they had to bridge a new ditch - looked tricky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NDXQ0jZ_GKU

but i noticed in first few still shots, they had driven up side of field, wheres ROW looks like it might be in the narrow walled lane with trees on each side - overgrown and rocky

footage is filmed at the wall near "G" of Gawthwaite on map
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=54.268463~-3.119076&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=s&form=LMLTCC

Yeah I drove this one last year, Didn't have to bridge the ditch though, it was quite easy really. Very Very Very tricky getting through the gate though. Especially in anything longer than a 90. As far as I could see the ROW runs through the field. not up the stream between the wall and the trees.

Its a nice lane the bit just before you get to the field is tricky as well there is an off camber section with a stream at the bottom of it. gotta have your wits about ya. When are you planning on being around that way Andy. I am up there from the 10th to the 17th.

Chris

Last edited:
I do miss the opportunity to do the laning that you guys do and I read with interest all the write-ups you do. Thanks to Ben and many others I've experienced a lot just by reading these threads.

I don't mean to be mean but even though the approach to the gate does look tight (the gate looks very narrow and the approach is at an angle) once through it, those guys did seem to make a meal of crossing that bit of a ditch didn't they? I would have been embarassed to get those titchy little ladders out especially just to cross a knee deep narrow ditch.

My 80 would have romped through it with ease I'm sure. If they'd seen me last weekend on the mountain I was lifting up half-metre steps and down again in some very soft and sticky clay. Locked up admittedly, with BFG KM2 Muds, but no hastle at all.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but they looked like a bunch of big girls' blouses to me!

"Scary" (as the lady commentator said)... NOT!

Bless them :wtf:

Maybe I'm being too critical, but they looked like a bunch of big girls' blouses to me!

"Scary" (as the lady commentator said)... NOT!

Bless them :wtf:

Not too critical I think, :think: those 'shiny' trucks did look like they were more used to a weekly trip to Sainsburys than green lanes. :lol:

Thanks Clive. :icon-biggrin:

They did make a meal out of that. :?

It made me laugh when the women on the video says "scary, very scary". :shock:

bloody hell she wants to come laning with me, then shed see scary! :lol:

Its a nice technical lane that, but like Chris said getting through that gateway is a bit tight. :shifty:

I put a dent in my rear quarter panel last time from that rock jutting out on the gate post. :doh:

Last edited:
thanks for info guys :think:

have you got any photos of when you drove it?

if Parkamoor has seasonal TRO on it, we might try this lane, if we have time. there is an easy one just after it too.
i don't like tricky gates and panel damage though.....

PM sent chris

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I looked for pics last night when i posted my reply above but couldnt find any. :doh:

I will have another look to see if theres any in Daves blogs. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
i had a look through Dave's blog today:whistle:
i spotted photos of the easy lane just south of this one, but couldnt find any of the narrow gate lane

aha - i see the pics now in that first link Ben
and the sticky out stone

wonder which way is easier to get through that gate, although it is advised to drive the trail N to S on the Cumbria hierarhcy of trails website and also on the sign
DSC03794.jpg

I keep thinking i have finalized my greenlaning trip route, then cross-reference more lanes from Daves Blog and your pictures Ben in your build thread with my maps (since i am pretty good at reading the terrain on maps and comparing with photos! google satellite view & streetmap helps too when i get stuck :whistle:), so adding more options on... but cannot do them all in 2.5 days....:?

That must take a while Andy? :think:

The trip before last, we did some awesome lanes wed not done before right at the end of the trip, after Gary had left us.

Not sure youve found them in my pics or Daves blog?

If not I will try and find out where they were.

There very rocky and technical. :icon-cool:

its been slow in the office....

would be interested in those lanes Ben :icon-biggrin:

Back