Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone near Bournemouth on 35" or 37" tyres....?

Lorin

If anyone lives near me and has an 80 on 35" or ideally 37" tyres that are well balanced, I would like to ask a favour....

I have been chasing a vibration in my driveline for 2 years now. I am absolutely convinced it is a wheel balance issue as opposed to UJs, prop phase, wheel bearing, pinion angle or any other potential factor. However, having spent a lot of money balancing my tyres multiple times using beads, weights, weights and beads, and still having the vibration (Michelin XZLs are not easy to balance anyway), I want to try a different set of wheels and tyres that are known to be balanced to properly identify if it is the wheels/tyres as I suspect.

I therefore wondered if anyone had and would be willing to let me swap their wheels onto my truck to go for a quick drive. My vibration is worst at 65mph. This would be a massive help and stop me wasting more money on wheel balancing. If the vibration is still there, well my hunch is wrong and I can start going back through the driveline. If not, then I would start by getting my aftermarket steels checked that they are not buckled or somehow out of shape.

Bit of a long shot I know.....

Chris Lund has 37s on his 80 and he is based in Southampton. May be worth me giving him a shout for you as he isn't on here much. Let me know 8f you need that help

That's would be perfect Stu, thank you. PM sent.

My Smart has rims that are so out of shape they could make you seasick watching them go round at MOT time. With tyres not much more than 2” on the sidewall you don’t notice the buckling. This is Round the inside rim not across the mating surface if that makes sense. I know a smart is not an 80 but it may help with the thought process.

I am near Portsmouth and you are welcome to try mine out.
Best

Wait mine are not 35s. Sorry.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lorin my 80 has recently developed a similar thing. what was the cause in the end on yours- wheels or something else?
I just rebalanced my wheels which has changed nothing. UJs was my next port of call.

That's a bummer Lorin. I am that close to you, I could probably walk it. Alas stock 120, but looks like you are hooked up. Good luck.

Lorin my 80 has recently developed a similar thing. what was the cause in the end on yours- wheels or something else?
I just rebalanced my wheels which has changed nothing. UJs was my next port of call.

Unfortunately circumstances conspired against me ever trying an alternative set of tyres. I have done several 1000 miles since and the issue is still there but to a lesser degree. I am still convinced it is a tyre issue. I have a new set of tyres going on in the next month or so, I guess I’ll know then for sure. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Not sure if it’s worth trying swapping the wheels front to back, do you get the vibration through the steering wheel, (front balance) or feel it through the seat / chassis. (rear balance) Are you able to check the wheels & tyres for true by spinning them and checking for run out against a set point?
you’ve probably done all this already, have you used the same place trying to balance your wheels, could be worth trying a different machine ?

Stupid question but it's late ish and I've had a busy day....
What are 285/75/16 BFG AT's on 8 inch rims ..... ? I understand tyre sizes but 35"s or 37"s ....?

Stupid question but it's late ish and I've had a busy day....
What are 285/75/16 BFG AT's on 8 inch rims ..... ? I understand tyre sizes but 35"s or 37"s ....?
They are a shade under 33”s

Interesting ....on 285/75/16s I wouldn't want to go any bigger without a diff ratio swap on my manual 24v 80
Some reckon on fitting auto diffs ?

Back