Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone running AGM battery under the hood?

WC57

Country Flag
australia
Hi, my 2003 TD 100 series still has the factory standard dual battery system & the batteries are on their way out. When I replace them I will definitely need to isolate one to run my fridge (went camping a few weekends back & flattened both). I am thinking of installing a large SLA battery as a starting battery, charging as normal from the alternator, & a 100 or 120 AH AGM for the fridge with a 25amp DC to DC charger mounted along side it for charging (with a solar plug in option).

I am drawn to the AGM for their lower draw down capabilities & faster charging.

Is anyone running this setup & are you happy with it...can anyone see any problems? I have never played around with AGM's before but have read many a post saying they do not like the heat generated in the engine bay. However, there are some on the market now which, according to the manufacturer are ok.

Regards WC57

You will need to change your starter to a 12v unit if it isn’t already and your alternator won’t kick out the correct voltage for an AGM so will slowly kill it as a starter battery. With a DCDC charger such as the Intervolt, your leisure battery can be an AGM and plenty of folks have them in the engine bay. The simplest option is therefore to run a standard lead acid as the starter battery with an AGM as the leisure battery.

Hi @WC57

I have almost exactly the setup on my UK based 80 that @StarCruiser describes above. It has worked very well for me.

Some other advantages are that the standard "wet" start battery is cheap to buy and most AGM batteries are happy to provide emergency start current should you need it.

Hi @WC57

I have almost exactly the setup on my UK based 80 that @StarCruiser describes above. It has worked very well for me.

Some other advantages are that the standard "wet" start battery is cheap to buy and most AGM batteries are happy to provide emergency start current should you need it.
Thanks guys, mine is already 12 volt so not a problem there. Looks like I might star start buying some bits...money, money...but its fun hey, only live once.

I can recommend the Intervolt DCC Pro, WC. Australian made and ideal for your setup.

I run a Hybrid AGM as a second battery which has run my 50l Waeco continuously for near 3 years.
I run a 200A Redarc Dual sensing solenoid between the batteries and have 300w of solar panels in the roof rack charging via a 20A Redarc Charger controller.
The only time It's let me down is in severe heat when overnight temps have been 40+ degrees and running a second fridge

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I run a Hybrid AGM as a second battery which has run my 50l Waeco continuously for near 3 years.
I run a 200A Redarc Dual sensing solenoid between the batteries and have 300w of solar panels in the roof rack charging via a 20A Redarc Charger controller.
The only time It's let me down is in severe heat when overnight temps have been 40+ degrees and running a second fridge

Thanks Dave, just ordered a Projecta 25 amp charger, a 'Power AGM' 135 AH battery & a couple of 50 amp circuit breakers to get me started. It will be a couple of weeks before I will have time to install them.

I just brought the same projecta charger. any ideas on where you will mount it ?:thumbup:

I just brought the same projecta charger. any ideas on where you will mount it ?:thumbup:

Hi Ben, I made a bracket to mount it behind the grill on the drivers side. It sits nicely just above the intercooler. I had to move the two horns onto my bracket & used their holes to attach the new one.
I know the charger is supposed to be ok under the bonnet, but it will be a heap cooler out the front.
I haven't wired it up yet as I am waiting on some circuit breakers. If you want I will see if I can post a pic or two tomorrow.

T
Hi Ben, I made a bracket to mount it behind the grill on the drivers side. It sits nicely just above the intercooler. I had to move the two horns onto my bracket & used their holes to attach the new one.
I know the charger is supposed to be ok under the bonnet, but it will be a heap cooler out the front.
I haven't wired it up yet as I am waiting on some circuit breakers. If you want I will see if I can post a pic or two tomorrow.
That would be awesome if you could. I seen someone say about mounting it on the fuse box lid. And it would fit perfectly but I’m not sure if that’s dodgy or not ?

T

That would be awesome if you could. I seen someone say about mounting it on the fuse box lid. And it would fit perfectly but I’m not sure if that’s dodgy or not ?

Pics a requested. I am lucky in that I have access to some fabrication equipment, but there isn't a lot in it. I used one of the original horn bracket mounting holes & an existing 'spare' hole.
On top of the fuse box would be ok I guess...I have also seen the mounted over near the fuel filter.

Cheers WC57
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG

Pics a requested. I am lucky in that I have access to some fabrication equipment, but there isn't a lot in it. I used one of the original horn bracket mounting holes & an existing 'spare' hole.
On top of the fuse box would be ok I guess...I have also seen the mounted over near the fuel filter.

Cheers WC57View attachment 151388 View attachment 151388 View attachment 151389 View attachment 151390
Thanks for the photos :thumbup: you have done a bloody neat job of that. I think I might go down a similar track. Very tidy :clap:

Back