Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone running Cooper ST MAXX tyres

warrenpfo

Im in the market and just wanted to ask before hitting the button.

st-maxx-small.jpg

Some reviews here (even one on an 80 series)

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/cooper-discover-st-maxx-review-53335.html
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...d_st_maxx_tire_review/discoverer_st_maxx.html

Available Sizes:
LT 225/75 R16 E
LT 235/85 R16 E
LT 265/70 R17 E
LT 275/ 70 R18 E
LT 285/70 R17 E
LT 285/ 75 R16 E

Attachments

• 17175_1_l.jpg
    17175_1_l.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 555
Warren, can't remember where (oh that's helpful) but I recall reading poor things about these tyres. They were released very quickly in the period where dirty oil was banned as a component.

Make sure they are user reviews not commercial advert reviews. I know you will, but worth the warning shot. I understand that are very different tyres to the ST and the STT.

Chris

Warren, Paul tried these on his 100. Sidewalls cracked and he got his money back. Shame really it looks like a good tyre

Yeah I fitted them a couple of weeks ago, a good strong studdable tyre but quiet on the road only down about 1000 miles in them on my kzj78.

Rich where did you get them from as i would be keen to get an idea of cost

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I have had a very interesting morning with these tires.

After having done some further research I have made the decision to go with the cooper ST MAXX tires in the 285/75/16 variety.

I plugged the tires into Google and a few suppliers came up with prices and so I went to the coopers UK website and entered my location into there dealers map and picked up the phone.

A number of places told me that cooper don’t stock or make the tire anymore and one of those was a distributer who then went on to give me lots of info on the company and the other alternatives out in the market that he thought where better.

After having got totally confused by the different stories I decided to hear it from the horse’s mouth and so called Cooper UK direct.

I spoke to a lovely lady (Diane) who was very helpful and somewhat concerned that the suppliers had no idea of stock levels and availability.

She informed me that they tires where imported in to the country by two main suppliers, Silverline and Kingsroad, and that they where most certainly still being made in the USA and that Cooper are one of the only companies that offer a warranty on there tires that lasts its life (down to 2mm) on accidental damage i.e. pothole or degradation of the rubber etc.

So there you have it.

Funnily enough Warren, there are currently half a dozen rally teams who use this exact tyre for African safari rallies and swear by them for carcass strength and puncture resistance. Spoke to a French team leader today who couldn't praise them highly enough.

They use the same base "green carcass" as the Mickey Thompson tyres that I have used and swear by so much.

Probably a wise choice boet.

the SSTs (265/70) on my 95 are now showing cracking around the tread blocks near the sidewall - I'm waiting for a reply from cooper but this doesn't inspire much confidence.

the SSTs (265/70) on my 95 are now showing cracking around the tread blocks near the sidewall - I'm waiting for a reply from cooper but this doesn't inspire much confidence.
I running STT's on my 80, how long have you had them on your 95 and how many miles?

Had them about 3 years but i have another set of tyres for the summer so not sure about the mileage .The tread is down to about 5mm.

Hi All, I have a set of these tyres that I bought about a month ago and covered about 300 road miles before upsizing them, I paid £550 for four and now I want £400 for them. they are 265/75/16.

Buyer to collect or arrange courier

P.M if you want them, first come first served

Last edited:
Just to update.

The garage that said hey could fit the tyres in the end could not get stock. After calling around it was a garage in Warwick that was one of the sole importers that said they could fit the tyres.

After further discussion with Landcruiser owners out in SA it would seem that cooper tyres are also not that easy to come by in SA and they cost a bit more than BF Goodrich.

My heart still wanted the coopers as they look like a very nice tyre but my head said why buy a tyre that's only made in the US and imported all over the world but in limited amounts.

My head said the right thing to do is go with the bfg's as I've had them in he past they are a proven tyre. So yesterday I had the bfg's fitted and am very happy.

On this one the head ruled the heart and in this case I think the right decision was made.

Hi Warren,

I guess at the end of the day, the BFG is more available "world wide" than the Coopers.

You might have been letting your self in for a load of grief, and heart ache, if you had gone ahead with the Coopers.

Presume the BFG you bought are the All terrain?

Gra.

That's some tyre !!

You must let us know how they feel like on the tarmac, and what pressure you have settled on.

Gra.

Graham

I run 38psi front and 40 rear. Its a little hard but helps on the fuel consumption...every little helps.

You do notice a slight decrease in the get up and go of the vehicle from a standing start but once rolling the cruising speed and revs are just great. I have not checked out my speedo but assume that like the last 100 i had it puts it out by about 10%.

The diesel has plenty of torque to get rolling so all you have to do is put the foot down that little bit further which in turn effects consumption but its a fast and easy way of getting a little bit more lift and the only way of getting lift on the diffs.

Hope this helps and ill post some pictures.

Back