Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone tried out the foxwing copy from direct4x4?

I looked at Geek of kent when we went to the new forest and was very impressed with it to be honest. i liked the aluminium fittings but in the pictures on eblag they look like plastic so not sure

stu

on that ebay page its says this

Please note that the bolts to attach the brackets to the roof bars/racks and the cross bars in the pictures and the video are not included.

on that ebay page its says this

I have one of these and we use it quite a bit as rain cover! Do you have any specific concerns ?

Humm... the bars and the bolts needed ( along with the l bracket ) were included in the one I got. I didnt use them since we already had bars.

Suspect they may have changed suppliers? So they now clarify this since people must have gone back and complained.

Regards,

KB

Thanks chaps, my only concern was regarding build quality really. Is it easy enough to erect? I have a couple of workshops at my disposal and plenty of fixtures and fittings play with, so I'm sure I can make something work regarding fitting. My latest motor has roof rails, hopefully I can fit it to them.

What did you end up buying jim?

Hopefully not that old RR I saw you asking about on FB?

Regarding the awning. I've heard the quality is very poor and people wish they had spent more on the fox wing. I've yet to see one personally so couldn't really give my view.

Stus pretty good judge though and personally I'd prob buy one of he was happy with it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Regarding the awning. I've heard the quality is very poor and people wish they had spent more on the fox wing. I've yet to see one personally so couldn't really give my view.

Stus pretty good judge though and personally I'd prob buy one of he was happy with it.

One thing the foxwing has going for it are the side panels. In bad weather that can be a huge win. Saw @Chris setup with them on last month and it was nice! The tapered shape gives you a bit more room and is likely going to be sturdy in higher winds.

For the direct4x4 one I have... just got 9ft tarps and hammered in eyelets at the right place and we get an enclosed area. A bit more work than needed for the foxwing and not half as sturdy.

Looking at the ebay page, I see what Stu means. Those connectors all look plastic. Would definitely call them and confirm. Plastic specially on the main hinge isnt going to last long.

In terms of setup you really want two people. Its a faff with 1 person but doable. 30 seconds if you dont intend to tiedown. A few minutes if you are going to get all the pegs in and guy lines in etc.

Its a complete nightmare to get up in anything stronger than mild winds.

Finally, they have sleeves for ridge poles between the vertical poles. But none are supplied. If you can get a set of those it adds a huge amount of structural strength, at the cost of a bit longer setup time. And if you do manage to get or fab some 9ft ridge poles, do tell. I'd like a set too :)

Regards.

Another data point : the tuff trek guys do a 270 awning as well.. http://www.tuff-trek.com/our-awnings.html . It comes with an all around 6 panel wall set. And they come with the ridge poles. So if you take the 15 minutes to set it all up, you get a nice enclosed space - tear down, takes a bit longer aince you now need to fold and pack the side walls....
One other thing about the tuff trek awning is that their frame is under the awning fabric rather than the more usual on top. So you get much less water retention on the top when deployed.

Regards

Another data point : the tuff trek guys do a 270 awning as well.. http://www.tuff-trek.com/our-awnings.html . It comes with an all around 6 panel wall set. And they come with the ridge poles. So if you take the 15 minutes to set it all up, you get a nice enclosed space - tear down, takes a bit longer aince you now need to fold and pack the side walls....
One other thing about the tuff trek awning is that their frame is under the awning fabric rather than the more usual on top. So you get much less water retention on the top when deployed.

Regards

Some good points above KB and as I said I'll have a close look at one when I next see one.

These types of things are copied from the known brands who have been going for years.
Just don't think they will last no where near as long as going for a fox tbh.
I got my fox second hand. I've got some of the older side panels but I've been speaking to Chris at boab regarding the proper panels.

Some good points above KB and as I said I'll have a close look at one when I next see one.

These types of things are copied from the known brands who have been going for years.
Just don't think they will last no where near as long as going for a fox tbh.
I got my fox second hand. I've got some of the older side panels but I've been speaking to Chris at boab regarding the proper panels.

Totally with you on that. If you can, Fox wing it!

Thanks for all the input fellas, really appreciate it. It looks as though they used to use metal hinges and brackets on the actual wing mechanism which are now plastic. It doesn't really inspire confidence, I think I'll give it a swerve. That tuff trek website has some nice looking goodies, really difficult to ignore that special offer with the sides included however £600 is a stretch too far for such an extravagance at the moment.

Plumped for a shogun in the end Karl, it has everything I was after except for the solid axles. I'll be interested to see how it handles the rough being independent all-round. It will no doubt be receiving a few tweeks to help it out in that department over time...

Plumped for a shogun in the end Karl, it has everything I was after except for the solid axles. I'll be interested to see how it handles the rough being independent all-round. It will no doubt be receiving a few tweeks to help it out in that department over time...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it will do everything you want it to Jim. I've had shoguns in the early years and find them ok to be honest. Work well on the veg oil etc. I expect the one you have will be a fair bit newer than the ones I had.

Hopefully it will do everything you want it to Jim. I've had shoguns in the early years and find them ok to be honest. Work well on the veg oil etc. I expect the one you have will be a fair bit newer than the ones I had.
It's a 3.2 d-id matey, and I believe common rail diesels don't do wvo too well. Still, I like the look of it and it's very refined to drive. Looking forward to getting to use it properly. It has a rear locker

Heard good reports for them mate.
I'm sure Paul from Westcoast has one that his misses uses.
No good for wvo but you could do bio

Back