Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12) install

I read this post with interest as I am about to put some onboard air onto the truck and all my thoughts have been answered here. So thanks.

Hoping to go with the ARB high output CKMA12 with no tank - I'm a keep it simple kinda guy and have normally got all the time in the world to wait for tyres to inflate. However, with 2.3cfm @29PSI I am wondering what sort of rate you get at 50PSI.

The bigger factor is where to put the thing. Space is at a bit of a premium these days and there is no more space in the cab, so looking at the engine bay if possible or, wait for it, putting it right up front mounted onto the inside bullbar. And yes, I know the obvious problems with this location.

@clivehorridge you said you mounted yours in your engine bay. Bearing in mind we have the same vehicle and engine (I think) can I ask where you mounted yours (and any chance of a photo?)

Mine's in the engine bay too
IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Thanks @Chris . Wow do all 80's have that much space there or did you move something to fit it in? I think i'll have another look because getting it into the engine bay really would be good.

Mine is a GS with no ABS. Otherwise there'd be a great big silver box there.

Mine is only a single ARB pump, so less than 1/2 the size of Chris'.

There's loads of room available in my engine bay, I was kinda spoilt for choice.

It's bolted to the wheel arch, as close to the inner wing and the bulkhead as I could get it....

It's on the passenger side, mine's a LHD so that's on the left as you face the truck.

Very sunny today, so not easy to get a shot without shadows...

IMG_7289.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

IMG_7291.JPG

It's also pretty dusty in there at the moment, haven't cleaned the engine bay in a while ...

Thanks @clivehorridge really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Everyone else seems to have a lot more space in their engine bay the me. I'm looking at the small one too and looking at your photos they really are quite small units arent they. I'm sure i'll be able to find somewhere to squeeze it in.

How do you find the small compressor? Does it deliver air sufficiently at 45-50 psi?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks @clivehorridge really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Everyone else seems to have a lot more space in their engine bay the me. I'm looking at the small one too and looking at your photos they really are quite small units arent they. I'm sure i'll be able to find somewhere to squeeze it in.

How do you find the small compressor? Does it deliver air sufficiently at 45-50 psi?

It is small Nick, and TBH in hindsight, I would likely go for the twin.

However, it does deliver if you have the patience, psi isn't the problem, its volume over time that's the issue.

A flat 305/70/16 takes a good 20 minutes to inflate. Ok, I clip it on, and go and make a cuppa, no problem. But if you had 5 to inflate, you'd be sick of tea some 2 & 1/2 hours later.

I use it mostly for bike tyres, so it really isn't an issue. I top up my truck tyres with it, but again, they don't lose any air, so if I find one a couple of lb down, it's a rare thing, and 5 minutes puts it right.

If you regularly air down for certain types of offroad, for sure go for the twin.

I keep talking about installing a receiver tank, but then, I've managed ok for 11 years ownership, why bother now?

I've had a lot of "plans" but seem to prefer driving the truck more than bolting stuff on to it:lol:.

Anyway, think on it, but I think the first line of this reply sums it up.

It's only money, after all, you can't take it with you.... :whistle:

Some good food for thought there clive. I bounce between going for the big one or the small one. I'm not into off roading and will only be using if for overloading journeys, so it will be for topping up air in the tyres which do seem to lose air over time, and the very occasional time I might be driving in sand in which case i'll be dropping half the air out of the trees and inflating them back afterwards, but that won't be very often and i'll have all the time in the world to do it. i might get some air lockers at some point but they will both cope with them.

really it come down to cost and wether i can fit the thing into the engine bay.

Nick, there is no space in my 105 engine bay either.

Nick, there is no space in my 105 engine bay either.

So, what is in the big space in my photo, between the air box and the bulkhead? I could mount 2 more batteries there, or an air receiver tank?

It's warm there, above the exhaust down-pipe, but otherwise vacant.

Last edited:
I think its because yours is left hand drive @clivehorridge which seems to have a much better engine bay layout than the RHD.

On mine the area where yours is mounted it taken up with all that useless steering/ brake/ clutch nonsense
IMG_4704.JPG

and on the other side are the fuel filters and something else (AC?)
IMG_4705.JPG

so basically theres no room at the inn for baby ARBcompressor

IMG_4706.JPG

@Kiwicruiser105rv thanks, would love to see what you've done.

Surprised @Chas has mentioned where he stuck his?

Edit. Just looked at the very first post of this thread:doh:

Surprised @Chas has mentioned where he stuck his?

Edit. Just looked at the very first post of this thread:doh:
Yes Nick, that's it, I have mine in the same place, if you're sitting in the drivers seat when switched on the vibrations are . . . . . . . . . 'interesting'

I think its because yours is left hand drive @clivehorridge which seems to have a much better engine bay layout than the RHD.

On mine the area where yours is mounted it taken up with all that useless steering/ brake/ clutch nonsense
View attachment 131298

and on the other side are the fuel filters and something else (AC?)
View attachment 131297

so basically theres no room at the inn for baby ARBcompressor

View attachment 131296

@Kiwicruiser105rv thanks, would love to see what you've done.

Mmmm, strange. I've got the fuel filter unit, but nothing like the can you have next to it. I do have AC, but not that can...

But I can tell that you don't have as much space as me, and I don't really know why... odd that. :think:

Back