Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are fuel addatives any good?

phil the brewer

As the asks are they any good as I see the little bottles on offer in tescos occasionally so just wondering if any one uses them.
A small bottle does 60 ltrs of diesel according to the label.
It would add about £10 - £15 per monthly fuel costs but I could live with that if its good for the engine.

Cheers

Phil

In terms of mpg no they do diddly squat, Ive tested most of the major brands over at least 2 tanks and none of them gave any major gains on either of my vehicles. As for doing good for the engine then thats another story all together, you would have to strip the engine and note it current state then run the additives and strip it again to know for sure but im not sure that are any better than the additives already put into fuel by decent brands like Shell, Esso and BP.

In my opinion and from the research I have done you are better off paying 1-2p more a litre for the better branded fuel than paying less for the fuel and then using additives, it works out cheaper in the long run as you DO get better mpg and lets face it the chemists at these companies making the fuel are going to be much better at mixing in the right additives and formulas to the right amounts of fuel than us dumping in a random amount of what is usually mainly kerosene.

My main advise would be NEVER NEVER NEVER (did I mention never?!) buy Morrisons fuel, I dont know what they do to it but its just crap! Always gives terrible mpg, freezes in the winter and the car always feels sluggish running it.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/modelmakerman/ibiza
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/modelmakerman/land-cruiser

You can buy neat 2EHN, that'd add MPG / more grunt. 2-ethyl hexyl nitrate creates double oxygen bonds with derv, bio, veg oil etc which increases the cetane number. I use it in a product called Bioboost 1000 with the Bio I put in my 100 series. There's such a difference that I use it at 1000ppm with every litre that goes in the tank.

I was in contact with a guy with a performance diesel Alfa that had been mapped and dyno'd etc. He proved confirmed the difference in
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]dyno testing, not sure if I have the email still (HDD crash in the summer), but if I can find it I'll copy and paste.[/FONT]

I've never had a problem with any supermarket fuel (including Morrisons) and in my daily runner Volvo it actually gives better mpg than Shell or BP. Same with the Defender - never had an issue but there is zero mpg difference.

Two-stroke added to every tank at roughly 1:100 has made a huge difference to my truck in terms of increased smoothness and reduced smoke

Last edited:
Two-stroke added to every tank at roughly 1:100 has made a huge difference to my truck in terms of increased smoothness and reduced smoke

My mate is a mechanic who ran a garage for 30 years before retiring recently, loadsa experience race tuning cars and bikes for track work and he mentioned adding two stroke.

Acetone is also supposed to be worthwhile.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My mate is a mechanic who ran a garage for 30 years before retiring recently, loadsa experience race tuning cars and bikes for track work and he mentioned adding two stroke.
Is that for petrol engines too? I already add it to my diesel 80.

Once you have added 2SO, u will never go without :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Is that for petrol engines too? I already add it to my diesel 80.

We used to run a synthetic 2 stroke oil in the quad bikes at work; the bikes had dodgy oil pumps, and this was enough to prevent engine strip downs every couple of weeks (the bikes were used every day for about 8hrs a day!). I think it was about 100mls or so for every 20 litre jerry can, so 5:1000. As the engine was already oiling, this was purely to supplement it when there was oil starvation.

In my limited experience, I have tried a variety of makes of proprietary diesel fuel additives with no discernible effects. After reading Chas' thread on adding 2T two-stroke oil, my old 80's engine runs smoother, quieter and IMO has slightly more power. None of this has been "measured" of course, as a driver, the difference is noticeable.

Thanks again Chas!

None of this has been "measured" of course, as a driver, the difference is noticeable.

Thanks again Chas!

Ah the classic Butt Dyno! Our Butt Dyno is telling us that our (now mis-timed) 3VZ-E in the 4Runner is running better; we'll see what happens when I fuel up next as I think the fuel economy has got better by quite a bit.

You can buy neat 2EHN, that'd add MPG / more grunt. 2-ethyl hexyl nitrate creates double oxygen bonds with derv, bio, veg oil etc which increases the cetane number. I use it in a product called Bioboost 1000 with the Bio I put in my 100 series. There's such a difference that I use it at 1000ppm with every litre that goes in the tank.

I was in contact with a guy with a performance diesel Alfa that had been mapped and dyno'd etc. He proved confirmed the difference in
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]dyno testing, not sure if I have the email still (HDD crash in the summer), but if I can find it I'll copy and paste.[/FONT]
Hi Nathanrobo,

Where would one buy neat 2EHN ?

What sort of small scale quantities can be bought?

Fore example, can I go to the pharmacy, and buy a liter of the stuff?

Gra.

Do I have this right? 1,000ppm in an 80lt fuel tank would be 0.08lt of 2EHN per tank. That's 80ml per tank :wtf: Can't be right, is my math so crap?

Do I have this right? 1,000ppm in an 80lt fuel tank would be 0.08lt of 2EHN per tank. That's 80ml per tank :wtf: Can't be right, is my math so crap?

I think the decimal point out is by one there ... my maths gave me 8ml. Essentially 1000:1 mix

I think the decimal point out is by one there ... my maths gave me 8ml. Essentially 1000:1 mix

Hi Grant, still 80lt tank full divided by 1000 = 0.08lt by anyone's math and 80ml (or even 8ml which is mathematically incorrect IMO) is a very small amount in a tankful, unlike compared with adding 0.8lt of 2 stroke oil for example. Is the difference so great between the proportions of 2EHN and 2 stroke additive? That was the purpose of the question. Also, wIth such small amounts, a decimal place is very important! Again IMO. :think:

If i understand this correctly adding ethyl hexyl nitrate is similar to adding petrol to your diesel , i'm inclined to think that's a conservative comparison perhaps i should say jet fighter fuel . Seems to me you add this to thin fuel and give a higher burn rate then you add 2-stroke to thicken fuel to prevent wear . All told all you end up with is expensive diesel . May as well just look for the most expensive stuff at the pumps .

Clive,
0.1 of a litre is 100ml. so this gave me .08 = 8ml.

Happy to be proven wrong on this ... as you said that decimal place is very important on this one! Does seem like a ludicrously small amount.

Cheers

Back