Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AT's compared to winter tyres.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Not very scientific, but here you go.
General grabber AT 2. This lane gets very steep and thats where they start to lose traction.

Going back down.

Back up but with yokahoma geolander winter.

They didnt lose traction once.
Flawless on the way down too, didnt break away at all.

Last edited:
Interesting Mike.

I was only thinking yesterday about @clivehorridge ’s outings in the snow on BFG ATs and how he was getting on with, it seems, no difficulty.

Correction MTs - BFG KMs sorry Clive :whistle:

Last edited:
I've got GG AT2s on the Jimny and BFG AT2s on the 120. Coming down the icy road away from the farm last week the 120 was feeling slidey. I went down in the Jimny earlier that morning and didn't feel anything, until I got out and could barely stand up. I suspect having a ton less metal helps the Jimny though.

Interesting test. I have Cooper Ats on the Hilux (no not comparing apples with apples I appreciate) but they have been staggering. The only times I have been defeated is when the snow was so deep it lifted the front wheels off the ground. hey that's IFS for you. The Hilux is stupidly long and light on the back and yet in rear wheel drive only, I've been passing stranded motorists on some of the steepest roads around. I genuinely was not prepared for that.

Were the tyres same size and pressure Mike?

Good post, as @Chris said, and interesting comparison.

As my name’s been mentioned, I don’t profess to be a better driver than anyone (except some of the plebs in Bucharest) but IMO it’s all about knowing the limitations of the vehicle and the tyres.

Of course, on an 80 there’s no limitations on the truck, but BFG KMs are not ideal in icy conditions, by a looooong way, they’re literally crap on ice or polished hard packed snow.

But, IMO, they’re as ideal on fresh snow as they are in mud.

The answer lies in the sipes on ‘winter’ tyres, and the Geolanders have loads of sipes, whereas KMs have none. If they brought out a KM tread profile with sipes, they would be great all-rounders IMO.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 120 had Nokians (WR?) on when I bought it (now got KO2s on) and I was surprised at just how well they performed in last years snow. Only a light dusting here so far so can't really compare yet.

I’m running slightly old Nokians on mine over the winter. Last year we had serious ice on the side road we live on due to freezing rain and apart from a slight slide due to me braking as normal they gripped without fail. No idea how the Coopers would have done but would have been a good comparison. Seeing as Mike has done similar I think I’ll pass on swapping mine over in the cold. Thanks Mike. :clap:

Interesting test. I have Cooper Ats on the Hilux (no not comparing apples with apples I appreciate) but they have been staggering. The only times I have been defeated is when the snow was so deep it lifted the front wheels off the ground. hey that's IFS for you. The Hilux is stupidly long and light on the back and yet in rear wheel drive only, I've been passing stranded motorists on some of the steepest roads around. I genuinely was not prepared for that.

Were the tyres same size and pressure Mike?
the GG are 285, the yokas 275. I have no idea about pressures, I can check tomorrow.
it was a unplanned comparison, I went up to see if a parcel had been dropped off..
Good post, as @Chris said, and interesting comparison.

As my name’s been mentioned, I don’t profess to be a better driver than anyone (except some of the plebs in Bucharest) but IMO it’s all about knowing the limitations of the vehicle and the tyres.

Of course, on an 80 there’s no limitations on the truck, but BFG KMs are not ideal in icy conditions, by a looooong way, they’re literally crap on ice or polished hard packed snow.

But, IMO, they’re as ideal on fresh snow as they are in mud.

The answer lies in the sipes on ‘winter’ tyres, and the Geolanders have loads of sipes, whereas KMs have none. If they brought out a KM tread profile with sipes, they would be great all-rounders IMO.
my experiences are the same clive. we have a lot of different tyres go up and down the lane, that steep section sorts out the men from the boys.
big block tyres work well in deep firm snow, I suppose it has similar characteristics to firm mud. in fairness the ATs did the job but the winters are so sure footed its an eye opener.

I’m running slightly old Nokians on mine over the winter. Last year we had serious ice on the side road we live on due to freezing rain and apart from a slight slide due to me braking as normal they gripped without fail. No idea how the Coopers would have done but would have been a good comparison. Seeing as Mike has done similar I think I’ll pass on swapping mine over in the cold. Thanks Mike. :clap:
nokian winters rich or the ATs? my dad runs the ATs, they have a slight winter bias for obvious reasons and do quite well.

As a comparison for winter tyres in last year's snow, my bmw rwd auto on proper winter tyres drove past cars uphill that were spinning wheels (even with the wife driving)

Hate to admit it but the Beemer is more sure footed in snow then the 80 running cooper stt pro!

It's only deeper stuff the 80 is better as the low bumper acts like a plow on the car

they don't get much better. drop 7 psi out of them and youll be unstoppable.:)
I’ve had them at 35 as a trial to keep the truck from wallowing about and they’ve been pretty good. I’ll take your suggestion if we actually get anything that needs them. :thumbup:

Back