Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Australian 79 owners - rego questions

SteveS

I've put this here as I think it has the best chance of being seen by the guys in Australia....

Background: my 79 series was a Victoria registered car and I bought it in Dec 2017 with 11 months 3 weeks of rego paid for, test certificate on sale etc. I now want to register the vehicle with QLD plates to an address there and have a few questions - these are probably obvious to those of you who live in Oz. The car is in storage in QLD at the moment.

1 - how do I get a refund of the residual VIC rego cost once I've registered the vehicle in QLD?
2 - the Rego forms ask for the registered operators details - is a registered operator the same as the driver(s)? I will want myself and my GF to be able to drive the vehicle - so 2 registered operator details or can I use just my details as the owner?
3 - Third party insurance - it looks like I can buy basic TP insurance when I register my vehicle....is this the best way? As I will get a different registration number it seems to get full insurance BEFORE I re-register my truck in VIC would mean a whole lot of paperwork to be changed (old plates to new plates)
4 - the truck has had a proper GVM upgrade and has been plated in the engine bay (4400kg). Is there anything specific I need to do to make sure that the rego correctly records this fact. I don't actually need this capacity (I'll be under 3500kg) but when I sell the vehicle it would be best for the next purchaser

Thanks in advance

1 - how do I get a refund of the residual VIC rego cost once I've registered the vehicle in QLD?

I don't the answer on this one - @Ben will though as that's the hoops he's had to jump through a few times... I think that this might be easiest done by cashing in the VIC rego and then putting it on a permit. I'm sure Ben will correct me.

Oh, also the VIC RWC isn't valid - it'll need a QLD RWC to be registered... again Ben will confirm.

2 - the Rego forms ask for the registered operators details - is a registered operator the same as the driver(s)? I will want myself and my GF to be able to drive the vehicle - so 2 registered operator details or can I use just my details as the owner?

I know in NSW we can't have 2 registered operators on the paperwork - insurance papers, yes both of us are on them; it also makes it easier if both of us are on there (Shannons).

3 - Third party insurance - it looks like I can buy basic TP insurance when I register my vehicle....is this the best way? As I will get a different registration number it seems to get full insurance BEFORE I re-register my truck in VIC would mean a whole lot of paperwork to be changed (old plates to new plates)

Easy - I've insured just on the VIN number before, or most recently I didn't even give them a registration for my NSW greenslip and fully comp insurance as I didn't have it registered at the time due to being a restoration project. When I got it registered I gave them a ring and they sent me through the new papers.

4 - the truck has had a proper GVM upgrade and has been plated in the engine bay (4400kg). Is there anything specific I need to do to make sure that the rego correctly records this fact. I don't actually need this capacity (I'll be under 3500kg) but when I sell the vehicle it would be best for the next purchaser

The bad new is that this is possibly the hardest part - it may need a new engineers certificate...

I don't the answer on this one - @Ben will though as that's the hoops he's had to jump through a few times... I think that this might be easiest done by cashing in the VIC rego and then putting it on a permit. I'm sure Ben will correct me.

Oh, also the VIC RWC isn't valid - it'll need a QLD RWC to be registered... again Ben will confirm.

I know in NSW we can't have 2 registered operators on the paperwork - insurance papers, yes both of us are on them; it also makes it easier if both of us are on there (Shannons).

Easy - I've insured just on the VIN number before, or most recently I didn't even give them a registration for my NSW greenslip and fully comp insurance as I didn't have it registered at the time due to being a restoration project. When I got it registered I gave them a ring and they sent me through the new papers.

The bad new is that this is possibly the hardest part - it may need a new engineers certificate...

Thanks Ed - the UK rules seem so much easier, but as with everything it is about getting to know your new environment. Cant wait to get out there and on the road (actually track :) )

I've just done it the other way around and have gone from QLD to Vic, in fact only yesterday I went on a 4 hour round trip to a "country" Vic roads office, handed in my QLD plate and walked out with a shiny new pair of Victorian ones. :icon-biggrin:

(Certain Vic Roads offices, like ones out in the country are a lot less fussy than some of the city ones and will just register the vehicle presented, where as the others will go over it with a fine tooth comb and look for reasons to refuse the registration!)

And 2 years ago I did the other way, when we moved from VIC to QLD.

To answer your questions:
1:
Victoria wont refund any remaining registration on interstate plates, so you either have to take the plates back to the state their registered to and get a refund there and then do as Ed said and get a temporary permit from the state you wish to register the vehicle in, so you can in effect drive it there, unregistered to register it.

Or do what were doing with our vehicles and wait until the rego is about to run out and then change over.

BUT QLD will honour any remaining rego and knock it off the price for you. :clap:

2:
You only need to register yourself as the driver and anyone driving it is covered under the third party insurance! You can add other people to the rego but it adds complexity to it if you ever come to sell the vehicle etc. so personally I wouldnt bother.

3:
Third party TP insurance is compulsory, you dont get a choice! Although in QLD they do let you choose which company. You just tick one of four boxes on the paper work.

Its worth noting though that its ONLY third party injury insurance.

4:
If it had the GVM upgrade before it was first registered (which is what many people do with the 70 series) then you dont need to worry about it.

If it was done after it was first registered the plate in the engine bay may or may not be recognised in QLD. But from my experience QLD and VIC are both very similar and no where near as strict as NSW.

*Regarding Ed's comment about the RWC not being valid in QLD, that is very true and even if the vehicle is registered in your name in VIC it will need a RWC in QLD to register it in QLD.

Vic is the complete opposite in that if the interstate vehicle is registered in your name, you dont need to provide a RWC to register it in VIC.

Where abouts in QLD will it be registered?

I have a great contact on the Gold Coast who does mobile RWC's. He comes out, you give him the cash and he gives you the certificate, no questions asked! :shifty:

I'd miss read the bit about the Third Party - yes, the basic third party insurance in Australia only covers you for injury to other people, not their property... Mainly because in NSW CTP is a seperate part of the rego process, whereas in QLD and VIC it's included to an extent in the rego.

You'd be surprised how cheap Fully Comp can be, so worth having a look at that...

From my experience Victoria will only refund to the person named on the rego papers and to a Victorian address - if you bought it off someone in Victoria and they are still on the paper - i.e. you have not yet transferred it to your name, you will not get the money. I was going to buy a 200 Series from Melbourne and I live in Townsville and the only way I could do it was to de-register it in Vic and get the dealer to reduce the purchase price by the value of the residual registration. I couldn't register it in Victoria in my name as I don't have a Victorian address. As it all got too hard I ended up getting one in NSW, but that wasn't much easier and the NSW Government rips you off royally with hidden "fees", such as a $48.00 "administration fee" to put some money in my account! Then the other issue is that the various states have different permits for driving an unregistered vehicle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The VIC rego was bought by the previous owner as we thought it would be best to keep the vehicle registered while it was in limbo between states. I paid the owner to do that just before he transferred the papers to my name and a QLD address. We agreed that if he gets the refund then he will repay me - he's a decent chap so I have no issues with that. I'll probably want to get a full year of QLD rego so i can do my full lap of Australia without renewal and hopefully get any residual VIC paid to me or the previous owner (and then forwarded to me)

The GVM upgrade was post first registration - the previous owner was becoming increasingly concerned about police being strict on overweight vehicles and got the upgrade done 2 years ago.....the GVM plate will stay in the engine bay, but I guess I may lose that on the QLD registration papers....I guess the old factory plate was removed so I'm not sure how QLD registration inspection will know what to put on the paperwork??

Thanks for the answers on the other stuff. It seems like I will need to get a RWC - I think this has to be less than 1 month before rego? And I will do it on the Sunshine Coast (Ben)
I will put just myself down as 'operator'
I will get Fully Comp insurance
The VIC refund seems like a bit of a merry go round. Do I get to keep the old Vic plates then once I've registered in QLD or are they taken off you? If I get to keep them then I'll send them to the previous owner to get a refund perhaps. If not then it seems best to see if I can get the residual value of the VIC rego on the new QLD one

I'm getting a new Trayon (www.trayon.com) from the factory to put on the back - will I need to have RWC done with this fitted? - it is a demountable solution and comes with a safety cert I believe?

TIA

Steve

Its good that its had the GVM upgrade! :icon-biggrin:

Most of the 4wd's on the roads here will be over weight once their loaded for a trip. A lot of people bolt every conceivable must have accessory on and never even consider all the weight they are adding to the vehicle! :icon-rolleyes:

Hopefully QLD might recognise it, but the original compliance plate should still be on the firewall, it should just have an additional one for the GVM upgrade.

First you need to get a RWC in QLD, then you make an appointment with QLD Transport to register the vehicle.

You will need the RWC, a new registration form that you have filled in (they will have them on the QLD Transport website) some forms of ID. When I first registered a vehicle in QLD I had to provide proof of address so took in my lease agreement.

I had a mate come out from the UK who bought a car and did some traveling and he managed to register it in his name, to my address by opening a Commonwealth Bank account and then printing out a statement that showed my address on it and they were happy with that.

And also the VIC number plate(s). I usually just take ONE old plate in as their nice metal number plates and I like to keep one as a souvenir. So I just tell them one got lost 4wding. :eusa-liar:

They will then credit the remaining VIC REGO off the cost of your QLD REGO.

Personally I wouldnt mention the Trayon, I dont think it affecst anything and its unlikely the RWC guy will care and QLD Transport wont need to inspect the vehicle, thats what the RWC is for. :thumbup:

Its good that its had the GVM upgrade! :icon-biggrin:

Most of the 4wd's on the roads here will be over weight once their loaded for a trip. A lot of people bolt every conceivable must have accessory on and never even consider all the weight they are adding to the vehicle! :icon-rolleyes:

Hopefully QLD might recognise it, but the original compliance plate should still be on the firewall, it should just have an additional one for the GVM upgrade.

First you need to get a RWC in QLD, then you make an appointment with QLD Transport to register the vehicle.

You will need the RWC, a new registration form that you have filled in (they will have them on the QLD Transport website) some forms of ID. When I first registered a vehicle in QLD I had to provide proof of address so took in my lease agreement.

I had a mate come out from the UK who bought a car and did some traveling and he managed to register it in his name, to my address by opening a Commonwealth Bank account and then printing out a statement that showed my address on it and they were happy with that.

And also the VIC number plate(s). I usually just take ONE old plate in as their nice metal number plates and I like to keep one as a souvenir. So I just tell them one got lost 4wding. :eusa-liar:

They will then credit the remaining VIC REGO off the cost of your QLD REGO.

Personally I wouldnt mention the Trayon, I dont think it affecst anything and its unlikely the RWC guy will care and QLD Transport wont need to inspect the vehicle, thats what the RWC is for. :thumbup:

Thanks Ben. Yes we've travelled extensively around the world and it is weight that kills many cars. We usually weigh everything onto the truck (to the ounce), including ourselves, before we go off. I've got a Westpac bank account set up ready to go, a friendly address, etc. The rego forms are ready to go....but they are insisting that we show up at the office in person, rather than do it remotely. So we cant do anything more until we get there. Still two months before we land :) but getting itchy feet now.

Reactions: Ben
Sounds good! :thumbup:

I'm sure it will be a big relief to walk out with your new number plates and be ready to hit the road! :icon-biggrin:

Have you considered taking out breakdown cover?

Some insurance companies include it for free, such as Club4x4. Not that I can recommend them, Shannons is the only insurance company I can recommend over here.

For breakdown cover I've always been with RACV/RACQ and I've always opted for the top level of cover so they will recover me from any paved road in Australia and recover me home if I insist! :think:

If you're going to be on the road traveling though you might not need that level of cover and simply being recovered to the nearest mechanic might be enough. :icon-biggrin:

Ben, Just out of interest have you had an issue with Club 4X4, I only ask as my Troopy is insured through them.

I got a quote from them and they agreed to insure my LJ78 for an agreed value of $30k (same as Shannons), but unlike Shannons they don't guarantee you salvage rights, they don't give you a choice of repairer, they dont replace new for old and I wasnt happy with how they wanted to split that agreed value between vehicle and accesories, where as Shannons just agree to insure for the agreed value.

It just felt a lot more clear cut with Shannons and if something goes wrong I want to decide if I get to keep the damaged vehicle or not and where it gets repaired!

I also felt that by them splitting the agreed value, they could turn around and say "yes your vehicle is a right off, but your roof rack and bullbar are OK so were knocking X amount off your pay out for that etc."

I also know that when something does go wrong, Shannons are much easier to deal with and get paid out by. Have a look on some of the Facebook groups like 4x4 Australia and the 70series pages etc. whenever the topic of insurance comes up theres always guys saying they have been waiting months to get paid out from Club4x4 following an accident, or that they try their hardest to get out of paying. Where as I'm yet to hear anyone say that about Shannons.

Personally I like Shannons and have been with them for quite a few years now and I'm happy to pay a bit more and use them rather than Club4x4. :icon-biggrin:

I have (and soon to be had) my camper trailer insured with them.
Year one: $240/year
Year two: $360/year
When questioned why, they replied "because that's what the market is now"

I think I'm going to insure with someone who has a less-risky risk profile - whilst they offer (on paper) great insurance, the market they are targetting is one with a much higher risk profile than someone like Shannon's - who have a lot of classic and collectable cars and bikes on their books - and therefore a more careful demographic as opposed to Club4x4 who have all those based in the cities who go out bush with a lot of desirable accessories and expensive rigs, then roll them down the hills and expect them to be recovered and paid out...

Reactions: Ben
Back