Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxiliary Water/Heater Pump Assembly - Needed?

thelostscott

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi all,

I've just had my Air Con fail and it looks as though the culprit is (from what I've been told) the "Auxiliary Water/Heater Pump Assembly".

The front pulley with the magnetic clutch has seized and in turn shredded the belt and stopped any nice cool breeze being produced.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yotiR87Jb5Q)

After speaking with Toyota Parts this unit alone comes in at £1,230+VAT :wtf:

I then need to add in an Idler Pulley and new belt.

My questions are...

• Is this unit really needed or can it be by-passed?
  • Can the unit be reconditioned?
  • Is there a reputable aftermarket part that others have used and would recommend?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi all,

I've just had my Air Con fail and it looks as though the culprit is (from what I've been told) the "Auxiliary Water/Heater Pump Assembly".

The front pulley with the magnetic clutch has seized and in turn shredded the belt and stopped any nice cool breeze being produced.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yotiR87Jb5Q)

After speaking with Toyota Parts this unit alone comes in at £1,230+VAT :wtf:

I then need to add in an Idler Pulley and new belt.

My questions are...

• Is this unit really needed or can it be by-passed?
  • Can the unit be reconditioned?
  • Is there a reputable aftermarket part that others have used and would recommend?

Thanks,

Scott
If I understand this correctly, the A/C is OK but the Power Heater failed and killed the belt. Then just put on a shorter belt for the A/C only and you're OK.

There is really no need for the Power Heater, not even here where the temps are lower. I would replace/fix it if operating at temps colder than minus 20 C. It's really only to keep the engine operating temperature up at an acceptable level when idling in very cold climates.
Remove the Power Heater next time you're spending quality time in the garage. It's a good place to put a great belt-driven air compressor btw. I've seen ready made kits on fleebay with a bracket that fits in this location.

Probably quite handy for a hydro pump for a winch too, come to think of it.

Probably quite handy for a hydro pump for a winch too, come to think of it.
Must be. Could give you the fastest winching 100. That belt must be capable of transferring maybe 5 kW?

Try disconnecting the wire to it. This may turn it off and alow the pulley to turn freely.

Frank

Thanks team, I thought that may be the case and I'll go down the by-pass route.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back