Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Avensis horror story......

goodoldboy

My mechanic has been offerd a 2008 Avensis at a "good price" so eing the oracle of all things Toyota in the village ;-) he asked my opinion.a quick youtube search found this

I mean really? that bad?
The civic snapped a driveshaft today , a real suprise but no big deal.the only other thing to fail in 12 years of ownership was the fuel pump.

I had the estate. I think once I had to top up the washer fluid. I remember being pretty mad. It wasn't covered under the warranty. Oh and I had to put fuel in it too. Infuriating.

It was ridiculously quite too and I had to listen to my wife chatting to me as we were driving.

Ok but 10 years down the line? the vid talks about injector probs , clutch wear & head gasket probs - sound familiar?

Sure I didn't keep it 10 years. But just ask yourself, if you substituted the word Avensis for, errm Mondeo or perhaps Insignia, would we be surprised at the list of faults or would be be more surprised that it was still running after 10 years. I'd rather have a 10 year old Toyota than a new anything.

OK OK Lambo, Bugatti , Zonda

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A colleague had one that constantly had turbo problems. Can’t remember what exactly but he got shot of it he was so fed up.

Sure I didn't keep it 10 years. But just ask yourself, if you substituted the word Avensis for, errm Mondeo or perhaps Insignia, would we be surprised at the list of faults or would be be more surprised that it was still running after 10 years. I'd rather have a 10 year old Toyota than a new anything.

OK OK Lambo, Bugatti , Zonda

Or a bloody Vauxhall Meriva. Granted we didn't pay for it but if we had we'd be into strongly worded letter territory.

I think my problem is that I'm used to mid/late 90s cars , a golden age if there ever was one.We used to run VAG cars - we had a Audi 100/A6 that we sold to a neighbour , 25 year's old 250k & still going strong if looking a bit tatty.VW dropped the ball with the TD PD & have steadily declined since.I fear that Toyota are on the same path.

I would tend to agree that the best mix of comfort, a few toys, driveability, and reliability came to an end about 15 years ago. 2 probelms, built in obselesence, and emissions controls. Manufacturers don't want you to buy a car every 10 years, and neither does the motor industry. So ultra reliable cars are dying out.

When I think back to the final incarnation of the Carina, or the mk1 skoda Octavia, these are cars that just keep going and going. One YouTube car reviewer here did a walk-through of a half-million mile Octavia a while back, and Skoda Ireland ended up buying it to strip it down as a research exercise.

Exactly. I've recently started losing at JDM imports for a new daily driver... 15 yo Japanese cars, very little rust, very little electronics.... hmmm....
The simple reason I got the 80 was to be rid of the electronics side of things.. Our 3 cars have all had EGR, Engine management, Limp mode issues. And its not cheap to repair these things... Yesterday I was sat in the 80 and realised it doesn't even have a Drivers Air bag... Mint!!!

You can make an exhaust out of recycled toilet paper so long as there's a computer to shut the engine down before it gets too hot .

Quality has been banned ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶r̶t̶h̶e̶r̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶U̶ ̶F̶o̶u̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶R̶e̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶g̶l̶o̶b̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶a̶n̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶m̶i̶n̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶ to save the planet .

The simple reason I got the 80 was to be rid of the electronics side of things.. Our 3 cars have all had EGR, Engine management, Limp mode issues. And its not cheap to repair these things... Yesterday I was sat in the 80 and realised it doesn't even have a Drivers Air bag... Mint!!!
Told you!

Does everyone realise that on most newer cars, in general, there is electronic power/rack steering. The old hydraulic power systems are on the way out. My friend just had one fail on a Daihatsu. The new rack consisted one component which included the electronic power unit. I don't remember the cost now but he drove the car straight to the scrapyard with very heavy then snatching steering.

Does everyone realise that on most newer cars, in general, there is electronic power/rack steering. The old hydraulic power systems are on the way out. My friend just had one fail on a Daihatsu. The new rack consisted one component which included the electronic power unit. I don't remember the cost now but he drove the car straight to the scrapyard with very heavy then snatching steering.
My first car was a daihatsu. Never had an issue with the power steering
0.jpg

(Not my truck on the photo but identical)

Last edited:
Told you!
Thing is Nick Iv still got to drive round in the 120. Till the 80s done.. Making progress tho. Did my first few metres of welding on it Today..:lol:

Where's the build thread, we need pictures!

Where's the build thread, we need pictures!
I keep forgetting my camera. My phone is a 10yr old Nokia, so I cant use that. and there is only Tescos left that still develop Film, In our area... :lol:

I keep forgetting my camera. My phone is a 10yr old Nokia, so I cant use that. and there is only Tescos left that still develop Film, In our area... :lol:
What is "film"

Back