Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Awnings

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Alu-cab Shadow or Big Country Ostrich is my question
At the moment I have an Eezi-Awn Batwing complete with the side panel kit, now I can't fault it apart from it is not really big enough for my truck.
I don't want a Foxwing I had one once nothing wrong with them at all, but when you have had a awning with built in poles you won't go back to a Foxwing type
So has any one got either of the the 2 with the side panel kits + or - of them would be fantastic, as it is one hell of a lot of cash to spent
Thanks David

You could always have a go at making your own? That's what I did, worked a treat :)

270 degree swing out, extends to about 4.5m across, self supporting but can be guyed down to poles if really windy, and detachable sides done with Velcro.

All super lightweight waterproof tarp material, ally box section arms and a bloody big coach bolt at the fulcrum!

Whole lot probably cost £100 or so.

Owen

You could always have a go at making your own? That's what I did, worked a treat :)

270 degree swing out, extends to about 4.5m across, self supporting but can be guyed down to poles if really windy, and detachable sides done with Velcro.

All super lightweight waterproof tarp material, ally box section arms and a bloody big coach bolt at the fulcrum!

Owen

I'm not that clever or have the time tbh, Amazon are paying for this.Teach them the hard way not to take a gritting and snow clearing contract, reactive snow clearing without a contract is very very expensive in the run up to Christmas lol

Hi Owen have you got pics of it would be good to see it thanks Tony.

I've got the AluCab, had it for a few years now and used it in all weathers. Good awning but not what I'd choose if buying again. Between the two I reckon I'd choose the Big Country Ostrich. The main reason is the sides. I don't have them but have looked at both and it's the reason I won't buy the AluCab ones. AluCab has given little to no thought about the awning being used for anything other than shade - it is not well designed for rain. The Ostrich is a much better design for the rain. The sides are zip attached rather than Velcro and provide virtually full enclosure rather than leaving gaping holes at the end of each arm. I think the AluCab is likely the stronger of the two and certainly feels more robust but in real use I doubt there's enough in it to say the AluCab is the better for it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got the AluCab, had it for a few years now and used it in all weathers. Good awning but not what I'd choose if buying again. Between the two I reckon I'd choose the Big Country Ostrich. The main reason is the sides. I don't have them but have looked at both and it's the reason I won't buy the AluCab ones. AluCab has given little to no thought about the awning being used for anything other than shade - it is not well designed for rain. The Ostrich is a much better design for the rain. The sides are zip attached rather than Velcro and provide virtually full enclosure rather than leaving gaping holes at the end of each arm. I think the AluCab is likely the stronger of the two and certainly feels more robust but in real use I doubt there's enough in it to say the AluCab is the better for it.
Thanks for that just what I wanted to hear

The ostrich have zips. As lorin said the ostrich our weather. I don't regret buying mine at all. They're a great bit of kit.

Owen

Could you upload pics on here please Owen just so I can have a nosey at what you have made? Always nice to see people's work.

Where would one buy the big country awning? Are they deliverable in the UK?

Any idea about how they cope in the wind? I have a regular awning from Djebel line and it flipped with wind, made me want to replace is with a proper one from fiamma. Would be interested to see how this one really is!

Where would one buy the big country awning? Are they deliverable in the UK?

Any idea about how they cope in the wind? I have a regular awning from Djebel line and it flipped with wind, made me want to replace is with a proper one from fiamma. Would be interested to see how this one really is!

Put it this way. We used it every day in Scotland. It handled the wind fine but as with anything you need to used your head

Tuff trek sell them.

Without it for out Scotland trip would have been a nightmare. It's the best kit I've bought up to this day.

Sorry to keep on bothering, but has anyone seen this hard top roof top tent from tuff trek, it seems amazing!!?

Maybe also made by Big Country??

5227817_orig.jpg

Yep no probs Karl, I'll take some pics and try and work out how to post them this weekend!

Owen

Back