Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Axle lockers

Compact3

According to a Landcruiser 80 series wiring diagram the front axle locker is controlled by an ECU. Could somebody let me know where this ECU is situated.
Cheers
John

Think you will find it in the drivers side footwell, behind the panel to the right of your foot.

If your talking about the 4wd ecu on mine it was on the passenger side foot well on the left.
lift up out the kick panel and its on he left 2 them nuts secure it.

Think you will find it in the drivers side footwell, behind the panel to the right of your foot.

Thanks Nivapilot and yotomotor for the info. The ECU seems OK now it is onto the switch. Is there a simple method of getting at the switch wiring without taking half the dashboard out. There seem to be no info in the Haynes manual regarding the switch or dashboard removal. Advice would be welcomed.
Cheers John

Hi John,
Are you sure it's electrical?

Cheers,
Grant

Hi Grantw
I wasn't sure, but an auto electrician gentleman fiddled about in the footwell (passenger side) and was of the opinion that the ECU is at fault as there is nothing being generated when the front locker is switched on, the rear is fine. I am being lent a working one to see if that is the case, a new one from Toyota is £255. If the lent one works I can have it for £40 which seems a good deal.
John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For information, the control ECU for the lockers (not the centre one) is a two inch square black box part No 89533/60020 situated behind the kick panel on the passengers side near the floor roughly where your feet go
John

I have gone through this only last week my culprit was a wire broken off inside the plug, I would check here first.

I have gone through this only last week my culprit was a wire broken off inside the plug, I would check here first.
Thanks Yotomotor. Which plug are you referring to. I have a working ECU turning up shortly on loan to check that end of the wiring.
John

It seem I have the same problem with your Land Cruiser too. I got a 1991 TL. 3 Days ago, my mechanic just replaced my whole front differential assembly because it isn't working properly anymore. So the TL is on jacked up and after he installed the new differential, he tested it by starting the engine and shift the gear and it went on properly. But when he put the car down with the tires already attached, the center differential lock won't disengage. He did try all the advice given to him by the dealer but still the lock won't disengage. I'm not a mechanic though but trying to help him to solve the problem by asking all friends from the site to fix it.

Back