Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back end taking shape

They're around 12 gallons. I think I squeeze 65 lits into mine including the filler neck

CG has one for sale at present unless he's flogged it already. If I were to do it again, I would, without question, weld the front end of the tank straps into place. Using rivnuts on the front was one of the biggest f878^^%$£* jobs I've ever had to do. Some versions have the boles there already. Mine didn't.

It fits.JPG

Meanwhile back to your wheel carrier build ....

Have a look at the frontrunner fold up table, that's what I've mounted to mine. Good quality item.

Not back to the carrier just yet haha. It looks like the rear of the strap bolts in to the floor? What does the front go through?

Have a look at the frontrunner fold up table, that's what I've mounted to mine. Good quality item.
Yes Gary I've looked at your thread on that and that is what gave me the idea (cheers) the Jerry can holder I've got is front runner. It's a nice piece of kit too!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No the bolts go into smaller box cross section members.

does nobody fit cable tethers to their rear garbage hangers.....I mean just in case!

I have the 160L tank under the arse end of my truck josh. Personally for me I think the extra size tank is spot on.

It is isnt it, you can barely see it as it sits above the tyre winch cross member.
all as toyota intended it to be.

You can connect the thing up in a few ways I guess. You can fill it via overspill from the main tank. You can use a pump to push fuel back into you main tank as it drops. You could Siamese the tanks at the bottom to be one big tank too. I did the full factory install on mine with the change over solenoids but used two fuel gauges. You can trigger the dash gauge to swap too, when you switch over, but that's not what I did.

Keeping the two tanks totally separate was my plan so that if I holed one, or maybe had bad fuel etc, I could run entirely on one tank or the other. It's quite bit of work, but worth it I thought. I generally run off the back tank first just to get the weight off the axle. Effectively the main tank is then the reserve if you like and we run only on the sub tank, filling than whenever empty. Doing both Morocco and the Baltic, I can't recall ever getting close to running out. Unless you are crossing the Steppes, I really don't think that you need to go bonkers with fuel capacity. It's all extra weight and all in a very poor place to be carrying it. Better maybe to take out the main tank and put in a bigger one between the axles.

I use mine all the time. its a ten mile round trip to the nearest petrol station round here, doesn't sound much, but it is if you just need to get some fuel..
as chris said if you puncture one tank there is always the other.

theres not much cooler than having two fuel gauges and a sub tank button..

I added a Walbro pump too. That way I can actually pump out fuel into a can if I need to, or drain the tanks with ease and of course help out the IP if I need to. It's a low pressure pump so it's not stressing the lines.

Piped in.JPG

Assembly.jpg

Nice work there Chris. Like you say the best way of piping it up is so they're totally separate so if anything happens to one you've always got a back up! This is definitely on the cards at some point so thanks for the pictures and info, gave me a good idea what's involved

and as mentioned, you really don't want to be lugging 160 kg of fuel around hanging off the back end..

I think that CG has the parts to do this? Or he used to do. I'm pretty sure I have the parts list somewhere.

Little update on the old rust bucket, had the last 2 days off and me and my uncle have spent 12 hours, cutting, drilling welding then doing it all over again at least twice to get the damn things to sit right. But all in all they're about finished. They cover all rear quarters, made from 2.5mm steel, we folded it twice to make the basic shape then had to weld a few pieces in. We've even incorporated a storage box in to them both as it's rather a large shape, going to mount some lights in to the back of them also. More fool them for running in to the back of it I say!

IMG_20170608_124329.jpg IMG_20170608_124336.jpg IMG_20170608_124343.jpg IMG_20170608_182354.jpg IMG_20170609_184932.jpg IMG_20170609_184939.jpg IMG_20170609_184948.jpg

I think that CG has the parts to do this? Or he used to do. I'm pretty sure I have the parts list somewhere.
Yep ive got most stuff in at the moment, including solenoids and transfer pumps.

Good work josh. What sort of rust preventers do you boys use?

Back