Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

bacteria in the tank

bobo2

Country Flag
montenegro
Hi guys!
Have you ever had bacteria in gasoil tank,if you do can you recomend me some chemistry to use?
Thanks

if you have bacteria (fungus type growth) means you also have water...
this now means you have to find /stop the source of the water. Obviously, the tank needs to be cleaned (rip, strip, power wash) including the lines and everything else wherever the fuel flowed through...
Next step is the level of filtration that you have to prevent this from reoccurring again....
Fun Times...

Such infections can easily come from infected diesel. In some countries they add water to diesel to pad it out...

Not sure about using a power washer :grimacing: But clean out the muck as best you can (to clean the lines I just pumped clean diesel through them). Then add some of this to each tank of fuel:

"HYDRA FUELPLUS BIOCIDE 1L Diesel Bug Treatment, Fuel Treatment and Removes Microbial Contamination"

I would put a "shock" dose for the first tank and then a maintenance dose for the next few tanks. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Thereafter keep an eye. Personally I put a maintenance dose every third fill.

If you just clean and do not use a biocide there will still be bugs somewhere and they will breed again. You need a maintenance schedule because some of them could be in a spore state and not killed by the initial application.

Good luck.

thanks a lot guys!!!
Thats a reason why I asked. I cleaned tank few times in last ten years but always bugs come again and I newer use biocide.

Interesting subject!
How do you know you have a bacteria?

Interesting subject!
How do you know you have a bacteria?
20170916_173005.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Other than getting in there. .. is the any other way to keep an eye on this?

I think not. I dropped the camera through trunk on the gauge sensor place,and I am pretty sure that is no rust, I wash tank every year with dimmer chemicals and after that I am quiet about 10k kilometers.
Photo was made after washing, I think I need chemicals which will get this from the bottom

This is where the power washer comes in...if possible hot water with a strong detergent, followed by cold water rinsing and flushing with some clean diesel/paraffin....
you have to get rid of the sludge, otherwise it just grows again
didn't want to mention - its a whole lot easier when the tank is removed.....

I would be very suspicious of the diesel source (in terms of cleanliness and water control) - maybe change the source for a few tanks?

just by way of clarity: All diesel tanks will accumulate water to some extent. Diesel (hydrocarbon) is hygroscopic by nature pulling moisture from the air that enters your tank when the fuel level lowers. Such moisture is normally held in a micro-suspension (for low concentrations) to splitting out into water layer (for higher concentration).
Filtration can help greatly with the micro-suspension. Draining off the accumulated water manages the high levels.
The longer the diesel remains "wet" the more time bacteria/fungus/algae has to grow and multiply.
plus you may be the unlucky recipient of "wet" or "contaminated" diesel from your supplier - who may also have received a "wet" batch from the depot and so on all the way up the supply chain.
Rule of thumb here is to find a supplier that has a high tank turnover.

I have that on the tank from first day when I bought truck.
I removed tank once but did not succeedeed clean . that thing is very hard glued on the bottom. I tried to clean with everything what I had of chemicals. Hydrochloric acid.dimer,nitro thinner...
By the way I am mechanic for the boats, all boats with old metal tanks have this problems,no one with plastic.
my opinion is that can be a problem with condensation of moisture on the metal tanks.

Big problem with this Toyota tank is that the biggest hole is sensor gauge place and there is not good posibility for good cleaning.
I was wondering can the diesel biocide dissolve the sludge.
Gasoil suplier have excelent gasoil. I have that sludge from the first day.
Thanks a lot Rob for your help!

One more question guys,do you sometimes put in this modern gasoil some 2t oils for those old type engines?

I have that on the tank from first day when I bought truck.
I removed tank once but did not succeedeed clean . that thing is very hard glued on the bottom. I tried to clean with everything what I had of chemicals. Hydrochloric acid.dimer,nitro thinner...
By the way I am mechanic for the boats, all boats with old metal tanks have this problems,no one with plastic.
my opinion is that can be a problem with condensation of moisture on the metal tanks.

You know if that stuff on the bottom of your tank is so stable and immune to all those cleaners then it is very unlikely to cause you any problems. The 'sludge' that blocks up the fuel system is soft. The algaecide will not remove this soft/rubbery sludge but it will kill what is producing it. Thus once you clean out the soft stuff and use the algaecide you should get no further problems.

You know if that stuff on the bottom of your tank is so stable and immune to all those cleaners then it is very unlikely to cause you any problems. The 'sludge' that blocks up the fuel system is soft. The algaecide will not remove this soft/rubbery sludge but it will kill what is producing it. Thus once you clean out the soft stuff and use the algaecide you should get no further problems.
I hope that!
But I think those stable stuff in the bottom is gradually dissolve by the time.
Anyway,my next step will be biocide(algaecide) in a few tanks fill. After that will open the tank for a while to see what is happend.
Cheers!!!

Back