Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad Bonnets

Jacob100

Supporter
After a quick spit and polish and some T-Cut in the sunshine yesterday.

387A25AC-3386-4060-A10B-6FEB5B590551.jpeg

It still scrubs up OK for what it is IMO but the bonnet really lets it down.

3C24BE06-F0D0-4623-B5A6-75B308EB5D94.jpeg

I’m not losing any sleep over it but it is getting worse every week.

F2950DF7-2209-4A44-9642-C27D5B1FA9FA.jpeg

Options ... Ignore? Body shop? Wrap? Replace? Full Raptor respray? Cargo net?

Been thinking about this myself and toying with the idea of taking it off to be pro sprayed before going to a viynl wrap place for a clear cover , i believe wrap is more chip resistant and i assume it must be well UV protected or else it would peel real quick .

The cleaning method is causing those swirls marks in the paint.

A sponge, worst possible thing for paint. Get a micro fibre wash mitt and wash it after every use.

I barely touch the bonnet. Just wipe it down very gently with a microfibre cloth.

If the paint is thick enough you could get the swirls out with compound followed by T cut and a good wax polish. Never had problems washing with a sponge but plenty of water is absolutely essential.

Sponges are well known to be about the worst thing you can use on car paintwork (short of a Scourer. Have a look on some car detailing pages and it’ll teach you a lot about the best ways to clean a car

To minimise swirl marks use a MF Mitt and rinse regularly and wash after each use.

Jacob probably the easiest way to deal with the marks (from a previous owner ;) ) would be to speak to a local detailer about paint correction. They’ll be able to get rid of most if not all of the damage

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did chat to a detailer a while ago and he recommended a respray or wrap but then I don’t think it was the kind of vehicle or job that he wanted to go anywhere near.

Been thinking about this myself and toying with the idea of taking it off to be pro sprayed before going to a viynl wrap place for a clear cover , i believe wrap is more chip resistant and i assume it must be well UV protected or else it would peel real quick .

From my experience with clear wrap, it discolours badly generally, but im talking over periods of 3-4 years.

However, on the bonnet, its performed really badly. It goes hard and brittle with the heat (coupled with UV attack most likely) and its horribly discoloured.

I have to say that apart from protectingvthe paint from offroad scratches (which it does very well) I wouldn’t recommend it at all. I’m hoping to have all my wrap removed this season, and go back to a shiny paint finish... we’ll see....

It all comes down to wether you're willing to spend the big buck on a respray/ wrap. Personally i'd leave it but then I like trucks to look a bit rough around the edges.

I've just been cleaning up some rust and had some reasonable results from a primer/ paint/ lacquer/ polish/ wax process. So you could whip the bonnet off and do it yourself if you're keen so save money?

Nice roof box by the way.

Thanks Nick - box courtesy of @hopeless wanderer

Leaving it is more than likely going to be the outcome unless inspiration strikes or I find someone local ... Too many things on the list and I’m not too precious about it. Just a minor niggle.

Or rattlecan it , the secret of a good finish i not the painting but in the polishing paint away , patches are difficult to blend but a whole bonnet shouldn't be to hard if you have a decent polisher and cutting compound .

Hmm, I don’t know about that Shayne. I get restless just dabbing a bit of Hammerite so that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Iv been pondering over what to do with the 80 when its finished. I v got the bonnet off at the mo its all primed U/C ready .. was thinking of attacking it with Rattle paint... I did a good job on my motorbike, Tank/frame mudguards etc.. But a whole Truck Mmm! Good thing about an 80 tho, Its all flat squarish panels, So one panel at a time might Work..Im not too fussed about a perfect finish....

Back