Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Batteries

warrenpfo

Following on from another thread re which battery I should buy it would seem there are a few of us in the market for a battery or two. I will have a chat tomorrow with Tayna Batteries re potential for a broup buy discount and see what they say and if we can get it to cover both numax and odyssey.

Will report back but if you keen let me know,

Warren 2x numax or odyssey (depending on price)
Crispin 2x Numax (I think)
Andrew 1x odyssey or numax depending on price I guess

I was actually going for Numax CXV35MF as a leisure battery, as they seen to be a fraction of the Odyssey equivalent. That being said, I have 2x Odyssey PC1700 in my LC4, and they are a dream.

Yup, I'll be in for a couple.

I am thinking to go one leisure and one normal. The 120 has two 75Ah batteries in parallel. I'm thinking of having one of each with a automated switch between them.

Andrew Brierley said:
I was actually going for Numax CXV35MF as a leisure battery, as they seen to be a fraction of the Odyssey equivalent. That being said, I have 2x Odyssey PC1700 in my LC4, and they are a dream.

Andrew, have you tried starting the truck on just one of them? Is it a lot more sluggish in turning over or no difference? Would one, with the backup of a second if you really needed it, be ok for normal use I wonder. Non UK versions only have one battery so should be.

One PC1700 starts better than my 2 Toyo batteries (jumping 2 flat Toyo batteries). The 1700 is for 1700 CCA.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
Andrew, have you tried starting the truck on just one of them? Is it a lot more sluggish in turning over or no difference? Would one, with the backup of a second if you really needed it, be ok for normal use I wonder. Non UK versions only have one battery so should be.

My 120 - yes. It came with the original batteries wired in parallel (the 'cold pack'). I split them and put two PC1700s in, as each was double the capacity of each the original ones. I kept one for starting, and the other for winch and leisure (and back-up starting if required). There was absolutely no noticable degradation in starting from one PC1700. IMHO, the 'cold pack' parallel battery system is absolutely unnecessary in the UK - but others more knowledgable than I will probably comment.

:thumbup:

I may head down this route then.

Crispin said:

I may head down this route then.
You would be better of not allowing you batteries to completely discharge in the thirst place :twisted:

Just saying.....

this would help... I call it Expensive Lesson #302.

Crispin said:
this would help... I call it Expensive Lesson #302.

I like to think of these situations as stress/performance testing.

dragging both batteries down to 3.2V and leaving them like that for a few days is not a fair test :(
No wonder they "struggle"

I'm also potentially interested in 1 sealed leisure battery dependant upon price....

Are you sure you don't need to order a spare Crispin? :mrgreen:

Gulp, at those prices, no thanks. :shock:

Right to update.

Had a good call yesterday with Sam at Tayna Batteries.

He has said that they would be able to do something for us as a group buy BUT need to know numbers and specifics prior to giving us the best price.

He has asked if we could come back to him with what batteries we want making sure we have checked dimensions, CCA, AH and which side the +pos terminal needs to be.

Here is there website and ill await replies prior to going back to them. I am in no rush as need to work out what I am going to do but depending on other peoples needs shall we give it till the end of this week or next before I go back to them??

http://www.tayna.co.uk/

Warren 2x numax or odyssey (depending on price)
Crispin 2x Numax (I think)
Andrew 1x odyssey or numax depending on price I guess[/quote]
Justin 1x sealed leisure battery

I'll measure the space and work out what I want and update soon. Thanks Warren!

I really need one this week so that I can swap on Saturday, so best drop me off the list this time around.

Thanks for running with this Warren :thumbup:

As a thought, are they able to offer a general discount for ELOC members, rather than only when we have a 'bulk' order? I can almost guarantee that as soon as you have placed an order, someone else's battery will fail...

It's worth the ask. I'll get Sam's details from Warren and see what they say.

Ok anyone know what battery is best for my needs :?:

* To be used as a Leisure Battery - to run inverter & fridge etc... I'm guessing at or around 100Ah in terms of capacity.
* Deep cycle is a must as it would get the same level of abuse as Crispin gives his :shifty: .
* Sealed as its going to be inside, behind the middle row of seats...

But how do 'sealed lead acid' compare to 'gel' batteries from a performance and safety aspect... :think:

I don't fancy battery acid flying around in the event of an accident (kids travel in the back too!) - Obviously the battery will be contained within a compartment of some kind (probably wooden) but I don't think this can be treated as water tight!

Right O depending on size I think I am nearly there. My hope is that the Numax CXV30HMF Sealed Leisure Battery will fit as its 12V 113AH with 1000MCA and come with opposite terminals which I need.

Perfect for starting and perfect for running a fridge if the 3rd leisure battery fails for some reason.

Should be in a position to post my final decision tonight.

Back