Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

battery exploded

I would be looking for corrosion on both the alternator and starter motor connections .

A few people on here (me included) have had issues with the main contacts in the starter solenoid burning out/welding closed so I'd certainly check those out as they're relatively easy to get to. Check if you have 12v at the main terminal on the starter solenoid with the ign off (this gets switched to 24v during engine cranking). If you have 12/24v and the "click" is coming from the solenoid itself this narrows it down to either the solenoid contacts or the starter motor. If the solenoid isn't operating, check for 12v at the small connector which gets power from a starter relay, on the bulkhead I think.

Also I think the wires from the R/H battery (sitting in car) are fusible links so do a continuity test on them .

Hi all, updating the situation on this, i had booked to be recovered to london on tuesday by the breakdown service but was getting bored on sunday so decided to have a go to start it on sunday.
Checked all the connections, crossed the fingers and turned the ignition key and hey presto it started, oh god, was so pleased to hear the sweet rumble of the engine that i just sat there for a couple of minutes listening to the beast, took it for a long drive and on monday took it to a good auto electrician to check weather every thing was the way it should be.It was charging at 14.5v,
Thank you all for the help,like always, a great bunch of people always willing to help
Thank you once again.
Ram

Hi Ram,
No doubt you are going to turn the hose on the engine bay to remove all acid. I would use detergent and hose after first application of water. Detergent is mild alkali.

Thank you Frank for that, didn't really think of it but will do so as soon as i can
Thank you

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A couple of thoughts....what was the problem, will it return?

I wondered about the 12/24 changeover switch?

And the reason the battery numbers are different refers to the terminals, they are different is to prevent a positive being fitted so close to the inner wing.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back