Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BBC Free tv licence

joinerman

Garage
So the beeb are going to make the over 75's pay to watch tv, a disgrace in my opinion.

They could prevent this by cutting the huge salaries the executives are on and people like Lineker on 1.75 million a year , news readers on 650k and many more, i could go on.

Yes, I noticed this one when phoning to tell them my Mum was now in a care home. ‘Does she have a TV in her room that she watches’ Came the reply, to which I replied yes. ‘Then she needs to retain her licence and change her address’ all in preparation for charging. Hmmm.

FREEVIEW! There's no such thing! The whole TV licensing system should be thrown out and the BBC made to encrypt and offer a pay-per-view service as other broadcasters do or take advertising on board. The "Unique way the BBC is funded" is decades out of date and a complete sham. Pay your licence fee or, ultimately, go to prison, no wonder they're hanging on to it. Unfortunately, sooner or later, they're probably going to have to take this stance with an OAP who can't/won't pay and when they do, the good old Beeb will be in one hell of a s**t storm. JMO

So the beeb are going to make the over 75's pay to watch tv, a disgrace in my opinion.

They could prevent this by cutting the huge salaries the executives are on and people like Lineker on 1.75 million a year , news readers on 650k and many more, i could go on.
Here are the salaries of a few more like Lineker.

BBC Salaries.png

You don't need to pay it. plenty of sites on the web to show you how.
Remove the rights to access, ignore the letters to the householder.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Shocking Disgrace! .... Do the Blind still have to pay a partial fee.? ...The high Rollers should be ashamed, How did the people let this happen, Has there been a campaign, Did i miss it.? Old school sticking together, You'l never change 'em'......Iv started the day Fucked off now....

That one has always got me…’if you’re blind or partially sighted you can have £3.00 discount’ how kind!

Last edited:
I've been banging on about this for years now. I've never understood why you have to have a TV licence to own a TV. My argument was always what if I only watch channels 3 and 4 (yes I've been banging on for that long!) - why should I need a TV licence just because I have the ability to pick up BBC channels. After all you can own a car and not pay road tax by SWORN'ing it off the road, so why can't I avoid TV tax in the same way?

Would you feel different if the licence fee went to central government as a tax than it going to a profit making business?

Obviously the Beeb charge because they don't make money from advertising. Somewhere along the line someone has to pay something or there wouldn't be any TV at all. One thing I do like about BBC is that I don't have to watch f****g adverts in the middle of a programme. But I mainly watch downloaded telly which has had the adverts removed. That saves me 15 mins per hour!

I don't want to pay a licence fee either by the way, don't get the wrong idea here, but as I said, no one is going to work for free. You can't blame people for what they get paid. sure you can blame the employer for paying it, but if we start saying people shouldn't be paid huge sums we'd better start sacking some football players.

Remember that these high earners also pay high taxes (I hope) and that's going into the economy of course.

The BBC is not perfect, but if you're happy to have people like Rupert Murdoch, the Barclay twins or some other billionaire with allegedly interesting tax arrangements to control the media in the UK, then scrap the license. The BBC does a lot more than TV and its ability to survive without having to pander to advertisers, or depend on whichever government is in power for funding, would be something that I'd regret the loss of.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think the BBC make some incredible programmes, and I don't mind paying the licence fee at all, its the lack of choice I object to, the 'if you want a TV you have to pay the TV licence weather or not you watch the BBC channels' thing.

You don't need to pay it. plenty of sites on the web to show you how.
Remove the rights to access, ignore the letters to the householder.

If you watch ANY sort of live TV, sport for instance, on ANY channel then you do. Live MotoGP is covered by BT Sport, nothing to do with the BBC. The rest of the stuff we watch like Discovery Channels, Nat Geo, numerous film channels etc are covered by the Sky subscription. We could drop the BBC tomorrow and not miss it. They even closed the watching online loophole last year. As others have pointed out it's the lack of choice, pay up or else situation which is wholly unacceptable in today's media market.

I understand the complaints, but a solution that doesn’t compromise the good things about the beeb’s programmes is a tough one. Personally, I think tv as we know it will be a thing of the past soon enough, all ‘broadcast’ entertainment will end up on the interweb IMO.

Just be careful what you wish for, we have 150 plus channels to choose from here, and they’re all crap, without exception.

I have to confess that I don't have any pay channels at all and no dish strapped to my chimney, but when I hear the adverts (not on my downloaded progs of course) I'm staggered at the cost. Yes the BBC is £154.50 which I do think is really quite a lot. But a subscription service at £30 per month is £360. Stick your broadband on there and your mobile bill etc and it's quite staggering what people are paying before they've even thought about buying a pint.

I’m lucky in two respects with free bband and free BT Sport subscription, only of interest for MotoGP coverage to be honest, although I do pay £36 pm for Sky but the choice on offer is way more than the BBC offers plus all the other facilities the Sky TV box has. Personally I don’t find the adverts much of an issue. I just mute the sound when they come on and BT don’t screen them during a live race anyway.

I think the original post was about still expecting the elderly and the Blind /Deaf to pay the license fee..The BBC do make a few great programs. But only a few.. and they do advertise. its that they just advertise their own programs at the end of whatever your watching.... I pay my license fee for the few great programs they have. But its the option to watch or not watch the BBC thats missing.... I personally would like the choice, And could happily live without the BEEB.... Its a case of pay up or the boys will be round... But making the elderly/blind /deaf, pay....A big NO!.. Someone wants shagging for that decision.. 'Just saying like'

This wasn’t the BBC’s decision, it was Gordon brown that made the bbc responsible for it when he withdrew government funding for free licenses. That was never sustainable.
Free licensing soaks up 1/3 of the budget.
I believe MPs free licenses will be unaffected however!!

Back