Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beau's official Cruiser Story

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Seeing as I'm going to be keeping the cruiser for a while, I thought it's probably best to create an ongoing thread rather than posting content all over the place, so this will be my build thread. It probably won't be like many other members as my truck stays on the road 99% of the time! :icon-rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been on the forum a while now and I've only had the chance of meeting a couple of you guys in person, so here's a little bit about me. I'm 21 years old and have a 20 year old Toyota landcruiser Colorado LWB. My dad bought it back in 2000 as our family 4x4 and we've had it ever since. He used to be on the other forum back in the days as "mickey". But back then, these forums weren't as populated as they are today so didn't provide much help. I've pretty much been driving/doing work on the truck since I was 16 (when I first joined this forum).

Cruiser bought in the Year 2000 with 30,000 miles on the clock! (Anyone want to take a guess as to how much we paid for it back then)

- 1996 Toyota Landcruiser Colorado GX

IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2957.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG

One of the few things my dad done to the truck was the bug deflector on the bonnet, window deflectors, window tint, headlight covers. sub install and the rear visor/spoiler Cruiser had about 30,000 miles back then. At this point, I was only 5 years old. :lol:

Looks a tidy motor,how Many miles on it now? ,and waiting for the price back then as luv to know.

Looks a tidy motor,how Many miles on it now? ,and waiting for the price back then as luv to know.

Just passed 190,000 the other day.
IMG_7874.JPG

And dad paid 15k back then for her, which we all thought was a bargain!

You changed the spare wheel cover - at last ! :clap:

Nice one Beau, a clean machine, and great that someone so young can appreciate a truck that's so 'old'. :thumbup:

I thought you shipped this to the states? Or am I mixing up people?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pictures above are like 16 years old when we first got the truck, in London!

That was the original spare wheel cover Shayne :lol:

She is now in Florida, US. (coming up a year soon)

I did later notice the pics have you on standard rims so are likely outdated but i thought i would leave my post be a reminder that it needs done :lol:

At first I wasn't too keen on the red spare wheel cover, but it's been on there so long it's grown on me. I don't think I'll ever get round to painting it unless I have to paint anything on the truck itself.

Anyway, picked up these lights cheap years ago and they've lasted well. One of the best mods I've done. I'd give fitment a 8/10. Had to create my own wiring loom for them with bulb holders and cut/notch the holes out myself. Wiring access on the cruiser itself was fairly easy for the majority of the needed wires.

DSC04517.jpg
DSC04518.jpg
DSC04524.jpg

On the subject of lights, my rear bumber lights are in pretty bad shape at the back with rust - Is it worth re-making these or should I just buy new units, and if so wheres best?

Any breakers on here got a decent pair they wanna sell?

Buy new roughtrax , they always cause earth faults when they go rusty and how those faults show themselves is anyone's guess , might turn your headlights into indicators or turn the washing machine on at home :wtf:

Is Jaos.com an American company ? i often find something different for the 90 series on that website .

Yeah, I actually have a earth wire that doesn't earth causing one of the rear lights to go off when on the breaks, but works fine with sidelights on, strange I thought! I don't want to take them apart yet as I'm pretty certain they're going to start crumpling on removal.

Just checked that company out for the first time, it seems so. First US company I see selling 90 series parts. I guess it's because it's the same parts used across on the 3rd gen Surfs/4runners.

Todays update -

Got my boost lines more permanently set up with correct hoses. Also had some Aluminium mesh lying around so thought I'd do something with it. Got dark so pictures aren't great, will get more tomorrow. I've also made a start at fitting a catch can. It's mounted nicely in place, just needs correct length hoses. Also swapped over the modified manifold piece that is welded up on the side, which should stop any more oil leaks around the intake. Good days work!
IMG_8450.JPG
IMG_8451.JPG
IMG_8452.JPG
IMG_8453.JPG
IMG_8454.JPG
IMG_8458.JPG
IMG_8460.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG

Oh also note, I've installed a entirely separate Trans cooler! It doesn't run through the rad at all now. Connections at the bottom were rusty and I didn't want to take the chance of running it in series.

Pics of my Trans cooler install.
IMG_8065.JPG
IMG_8066.JPG
IMG_8067.JPG
IMG_8068.JPG
IMG_8069.JPG
IMG_8070.JPG
IMG_8072.JPG
IMG_8455.JPG
IMG_8456.JPG

How have the yanks taken to your truck Beau i imagine it would earn kudos just for being so different from whats available on that side of the pond .

How have the yanks taken to your truck Beau i imagine it would earn kudos just for being so different from whats available on that side of the pond .

Yeah, the majority of the people who realise it's RHD love it. Not many other RHD about. I've seen a couple of Land Rovers and a skyline. And when they find out it's got a diesel engine under the bonnet, there eyes pop out even more!

Been busy - Completed the oil catch can, interested to see how much oil this actually collects. Also put a couple LED strips under the headlight for better side light lighting. Also looks great! Took the side steps off and gave them a good clean as over the years the Allu had oxidized quite badly. Pretty pleased with the results. Was also shocked at how much taller the truck appears! I must admit as well, getting in and out takes some getting used to :lol:

IMG_8468.JPG
IMG_8469.JPG
IMG_8470.JPG
IMG_8473.JPG
IMG_8520.JPG
IMG_8522.JPG
IMG_8523.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8554.JPG

Also running 285 45 22 tyres which come up as 32.2 inches. Was surprised that they cleared without touching the mud flap or anything on standard suspension. However a couple weeks back I did adjust my caster/camber which pushed the wheel slightly forward.

Last edited:
Just ticked over 200,000 Miles! Woo!

On another note, Hurricane Mathew is due to hit us tomorrow evening/friday morning so I'm holding tight. Got the cruiser prepared just in case I need to vacate in an emergency. Exciting stuff

Good luck in the storm Beau. I remember our hurricane in 87. That seemed exciting to me as I was a bit younger than you are now. I didn't own any property back then so it didn't affect me much. I'm sure it would feel different now knowing things could get smashed up and people killed.

Keep the cruiser away from trees and expect it to be damaged. Look after yourself and family. Take shelter in the most robust place there is, or best scenario is to get out away from the area if that's possible. You won't be able to travel easily once it hits and brings trees down.

Keep safe, it'll be different/worse than you imagine, so prepare for it.

I would be out with a kite :icon-biggrin:

Interested in adjusting caster/camber for greater clearance Beau i remember Steven doing the same to his collie quite some time ago and so discussed it with my tracking shop and got only blank faced stares in response . I would appreciate a dummies guide if you would be kind enough to offer one .

Back