Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 rear diff oil change

I did hear Mike (S) could be buying…:whistle:

Never heard of an 8 point socket? 6 sided sockets offer the best grip. Proper impact sockets are usually 6 sided. The multi pointed sockets are easier to fit over a damaged nut/bolthead but will make a better job of rounding of the thing altogether!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hum ok, a lot of talk there, didnt understand a lot of it, but yes we have WD40, if remember rightly we invented .it.

I have a very large bar ans socket from my son , he only uses snap on tools, i dont know if you guys are familiar with this brand, sad to say i think they are american, and you know how i feel about the yanks.

I had to weld a nut on the plug to get the one out of my old 80

If you can get them out (2 diffs and transfer case) when you put them back in do them up just a bit more than finger tight, untill the 3 new ones from a 60 series that you order arive

Having read the advice here about how tricky it could be to get off I wimped out took it in to our local independent garage and asked them to un-stick it for me.

It was well and truly seized in place so I definitely saved myself a lot of frustration and possibly even some bruised knuckles.

I have a very large bar ans socket from my son , he only uses snap on tools, i dont know if you guys are familiar with this brand,

Perhaps you missed it Mike but the advice from those that have tried it is NOT to use a long bar and socket as you stand the chance of the socket jumping off the hexagon of the plug and making it even more difficult to remove. Far better to grind the open end down on a standard nothing special 6 sides socket so it’s front face doesn’t have a ‘lead in’ to the hexagon but is totally flat. Choose the size that best fits tightly onto the hexagon of the plug. Simply using Snap On (yes, we know of them thanks) or any other brand of tool is no guarantee of success. Once you have this socket, using an impact wrench so you can get a direct, on axis rotational force on the plug is the best option. Some heat applied round the diff casing then cooling the plug with WD40, plus gas or even water is also a standard engineering method to loosen such threaded parts. The advice you’ve received on this thread is really good advice. If you follow it, you should have the best chance of success. Go against it and you may be lucky but you stand the chance of making the job much more difficult.

Last edited:
Rosy. Have I taught you nothing my young friend? I felt the Force was strong in you.

I know I know :(.. I did give it a go but the socket didn't fit snugly enough and after a couple of slips I decided it was a safer/quicker option to nip down the road for some help.

As @StarCruiser said, the advice here was to use the right tool and procedure or risk making a simple job a lot harder which I was keen to avoid the day before a long trip!

I know I know :(.. I did give it a go but the socket didn't fit snugly enough and after a couple of slips I decided it was a safer/quicker option to nip down the road for some help.

As @StarCruiser said, the advice here was to use the right tool and procedure or risk making a simple job a lot harder which I was keen to avoid the day before a long trip!
Sounds pretty much a good call I think there Rosy. It’s always a good thing to know when it’s time to put down the tools and let somebody with the right/better tools and experience to take over. Nothing wrong in that. Discretion is the better part of valour as they say. On this occasion, good you did (in Yoda voice :) )

Just a thought Mike, have you established which rear axle you have? Mainly do you have a Limited Slip Diff in the rear axle? There is a thread on here somewhere on axle identification by the codes on the VIN plate on the firewall under the bonnet. The wrong oil in a LSD will not be good. For a LSD you need LSD oil. There is usually a white sticker that says LSD next to the fill plug but this could have come off during its lifetime. If you have a small motor with wires going to it on the input shaft side of the diff then it won’t have a LSD as that is the diff lock motor.

Just a thought Mike, have you established which rear axle you have? Mainly do you have a Limited Slip Diff in the rear axle? There is a thread on here somewhere on axle identification by the codes on the VIN plate on the firewall under the bonnet. The wrong oil in a LSD will not be good. For a LSD you need LSD oil. There is usually a white sticker that says LSD next to the fill plug but this could have come off during its lifetime. If you have a small motor with wires going to it on the input shaft side of the diff then it won’t have a LSD as that is the diff lock motor.

Would the VIN indicate an LSD Rich?

I know it has a lot of coded vehicle specific data in it, just a thought

Back