Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best Air Brush recommendations Please ?

frank rabbets

Guru
As the title really. I could buy one off ebay but I want to be in the top 95% for quality finish. I'm going to try air brushing clock parts rather than using small lint free rag like they used to do 2 centuries ago and still do but it's a right PITA. I wonder if I could use a CO2 cylinder rather than a compressor ?

Thanks.

Many moons ago I was the UK publisher of an airbrushing magazine. Last year when I was in the UK I met a couple of the artists from those days and they both still practice the art. They both still use Badger airbrushes, primarily because of the interchangeability between cup and, for bigger areas, reservoir. Badger has always been rated as one of the best but I cannot comment on the new makes that seem to be around nowadays. The rule always seemed to be to buy the best one can afford and the quality of the product shows in the final work. I just had a quick look at a top 10 review and Badgers are number 4, unfortunately I have no experience of the three above.
Air canisters are available but the air supply is never as consistent as with a little, indoor compressor particularly as the quantity of air contained reduces.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Search for airbrush propellant Frank there are hundreds of brand names .

I have 2 compressors for spraying cars. I also have a 1/2 full CO2 cylinder complete with gauges and regulator. Just wondered, out of interest, if the CO2 could be used.

Not sure about the CO2, but you should be able to use one of your compressors with a suitable regulator and the right fittings or adaptors.

You can use CO2 as the air/gas merely atomizes the paint and if your compressors go down to a supply of 10-20psi then they could used. Do not be tempted with those electric ones - the pulses will show in the paint delivery.
The main problem will be moisture so fitting a water/moisture trap will be necessary. The pressures are low but there is no correct pressure - the correct one is merely the one that atomises the paint with as little clogging as possible. If it clogs, ease the pressure up slightly until it feels right.
In case you are spraying black - treat black as a light colour for your initial setting (dark colours normally require a slightly higher pressure that is except black).

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back