Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best Landcruiser for Africa?

Landcruising

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Ethiopia in January and need a brilliant 4x4 that will do us proud while out there.

I have looked into 4x4s and my research concludes that Land Cruisers are most definitely the best, most reliable car out there.

I am after one that is reliable, easy to fix (i.e. avoiding mod-cons), can get us out of muddy and very off road terrain, that doesn't cost the earth to run. Ideally diesel, manual. Ideally older than 10 years (to keep the costs down, and also because i hear that 1997 was a very good year!).

Can anyone be so kind as to recommend the most suitable Land Cruiser for this?

I'm planning on shipping in from the UK...

Thanks a lot!

Rich

Agreed. And in that part of Africa there are piles of spares if needed

The 80 series is your best choice in my opinion.

Enjoy the country it is fantastic.

Agreed with the 80, still the workhorse around here.

But in Ethiopia, cars are LHD.

Agreed with the 80, still the workhorse around here.

But in Ethiopia, cars are LHD.

There's plenty of LHD 80's around the world, not many in the UK admittedly, but they're out there...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
as a 60 owner, yep, 80 series!! Earlier model the better, you want minimal electronics, nice simple mechanical stuff, so effectively, a 60 series with a turbo and coils and that doesn't rust just by looking at it! That'll be an 80 then!

Just check the import duties on the age of cars- in quite a few African counties the import duties on older cars is substantially higher.

Thanks for everyone's help with this and answers. 80 series it is, but this Left Hand Drive thing is a bit of a problem - I am finding it hard to find any on sites like Autotrader (is that where people go for second hand cars these days?!).

I might have to look at options to ship from a more LHD place - like Dubai. Or does anyone have a better idea? Where's good for LHD 80 series?

And excuse the stupid question but how do i tell it's an 80 series other than when it was produced? Also, would you recommend avoiding turbo for that sort of country (sounds like something that might be expensive to fix).

Thanks a lot for your excellent advice.

Great, thanks guys.

Now: if I had a budget of £3k (i've just got to spend another £2k on shipping - but even then it's cheaper than buying here), is this still the right option or totally unrealistic?

Great, thanks guys.

Now: if I had a budget of £3k (i've just got to spend another £2k on shipping - but even then it's cheaper than buying here), is this still the right option or totally unrealistic?

For that investment, you may be calling on local spares availability sooner than you would probably want.

For that investment, you may be calling on local spares availability sooner than you would probably want.

Yes, I thought so. Bugger. Are there any second options from the Land Cruiser range that aren't such beauties but still remain exceptional work horses that might be cheaper?

Shame i got offered a lhd 95 a month ago. Would have been ideal for you.

Back