Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best Landcruiser for Africa?

The second one states 300-400 hp and rear wheel drive. Sounds like the one to buy.

have you checked the import duties? That may be why they are so expensive there.

80s hold their value for a good reason. The other option, maybe a Hilux, although you'll still struggle for 3k

TBH, for 3k you'll struggle to find anything worth the effort! sadly LHD don't tend to suffer price wise like they used to.

have you checked the import duties? That may be why they are so expensive there.

80s hold their value for a good reason. The other option, maybe a Hilux, although you'll still struggle for 3k

TBH, for 3k you'll struggle to find anything worth the effort! sadly LHD don't tend to suffer price wise like they used to.

Thanks - yes, tax import is fine (there's a window to import tax free). I might have to up my budget! Just waiting to find out how much the actual shipping costs - what do you think of this? Should I be wary?

http://bit.ly/1vEYGhZ

Have a look on eBay France, Belgium and Netherlands, all of them might have LHD 80 and 70 series available, especially with the French going anti diesel in Paris...

Prices in Africa usually reflect high duties and transport costs, not excessive profit from sellers. Here in Uganda, for example, once everything is said and done you pay about 70% in duties. Not on the invoice price, mind you, but on the value assigned by Customs from their own tariff, which means that if you buy a car for $3000 and their book says it's worth $7000, you pay taxes on $7,000.

Before to import anything into any African country, check with people who have done that on their own (not Embassy workers...). The hassles involved are much more than what you'd think by just reading regulations, and a newcomer has very slim chances to go through all the reefs unscathed.

A 80, 77, 105 or such in roadworthy conditions goes for $ 6000-7000 minimum before import, anything cheaper is usually dodgy.

To give you an idea, a good 80 or 105 on the road costs $20,000 and up in East Africa - then you have to kit it to your tastes... You can get cheaper, of course, but it involves waiting for the right occasion to pass by, and a thorough knowledge of the cars. Repairs add up pretty quick, if you miss the telltale signs.

The 78 series with 1KZ engine (Prado, MarkII) are significantly cheaper. They do a good job if you reside in town and do the occasional trip upcountry, i.e. typical "resident" use, and for your budget I think that you should seriously look at them (one of your Dubai links is for that type of car, although I think it has the 2L engine). Don't buy any of them past 96, these are town cars and can't hack upcountry trips (in Africa, that is).

Another vehicle that is totally underrated is the Isuzu Trooper or Bighorn. Costs less than half the price of a Cruiser, and build quality is of the same standards. They don't have that "Big Beast" look, but space inside is about the same at shoulder height, and legroom is actually better in the rear. For these, the most reliable engine is the 3.1 Diesel 4JG2, stay clear away from the 3.0 4JX1 (an excellent boat anchor...).

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have a look on eBay France, Belgium and Netherlands, all of them might have LHD 80 and 70 series available, especially with the French going anti diesel in Paris...

I don't know about the others but here in France the 80 is very, very expensive.

Roads in Africa do not really, how to put it... awake the speed demon in vehicles. :icon-biggrin:

Roads in Africa do not really, how to put it... awake the speed demon in vehicles. :icon-biggrin:

unless you have a VX...its the only thing that will take everything you throw at it....

no seriously, slower is faster and the bonus is that your are more likely to be alive to reach your destination..... :thumbup:

you do need power and torque though for sand and mud, or if your truck is well loaded, and Ethiopia is hilly

Actually on corrugations speed can be your friend as you try to float the ridges, sometimes 50-60mph is the most comfortable speed

you do need power and torque though for sand and mud, or if your truck is well loaded, and Ethiopia is hilly
Exactly! 1KZ in 78 doesnt have one nor the other. 1KZ is a great engine it's just not suitable for a 78 unless is 1KZ-TE with an intercooler which gives 145hp and 343N-m @2000rpm. But still its'a a 4 cylinder engine I wouldnt trust in a 78 in Africa.

Last edited:
Landcruising i think it would help to clarify what you intend to do with the truck when you get it , I get the feeling you just want a tough low maintenance vehicle you can rely on to get you from A to B and won't leave you stranded the first time you "accidentally" encounter a washed out road or some such ?

If i'm right anything with a Landcruiser badge would probably meet your requirements .

I agree with you Shayne:) And with the budget he has probably can get desent 7* with 2L-T

I was too lazy to spell the whole thing... the 78s here run the 1KZ-TE (post-93).

These cars are perfectly suited for day-to-day life in Africa, which is a far cry from the romantic image of hardship and long-haul travel in remote places. Roads are often bad, yes, but most people only go very occasionally to the bush.

When it comes to serious upcountry work, though, you're better off with a 77-80-105.

There's no problem IMO buying from the UAE, mostly they are looked after mechanically, and there will be no UK rust issues. The downside will be missing out on the bells and whistles that the UK specs give you, factory axle diff lockers and the like.

The price difference certainly looks tempting, new cars are cheap there, but check out the shipping from the UAE, 2k sounds about right.

There are a lot of 80s there, for sure. Check in KSA, Bahrain and Qatar too, amongst others.

All of Phillips advice is spot on, the 78 series prado with the 1kz-te is not a slow vehicle at all and is a great daily driver in Africa. After owning mine for 7.5 years I started looking for an 80 and it took me 1.5 years for the right one to come by in terms condition and equipment for the right price. Of course I will never go back...

First thought was "to good to be true" but then i realized its a LHD in the UK so yeah could be a winner .

First thought was "to good to be true" but then i realized its a LHD in the UK so yeah could be a winner .

So far so good then. Sorry, really am a rookie at ALL of this, but what questions should I be asking about it? I live in Africa so it's a bit tricky to actually go and see it.

Also, ball park cost - what's the max you'd pay for this?

Thanks a lot

Back