Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beware travelling in Spain!

I'd be feeling unwell in 45 deg Dave but I wouldn't be reaching for the salt cellar. As said above it would be extremely unusual for anyone being too hot and therefore running low on salts.

Seem's a twisted logic that a hot drink is supposed to be better for you in a heatwave because it opens pores in the skin allowing you to sweat and catch any breeze that may help with your natural cooling system .

Makes me thing about tea , China and India , apart from the obvious benefits because tea requires water to be boiled ......

Likewise Clive, sometimes (sometimes :)) I would rather tea than a beer

I'm a member of TA (no not the SAS (Saturday and Sunday soldiers) Tea-aholics Anonymous :icon-biggrin:

Likewise Clive, sometimes (sometimes :)) I would rather tea than a beer

I'm a member of TA (no not the SAS (Saturday and Sunday soldiers) Tea-aholics Anonymous :icon-biggrin:

Me too, I put it down to old age, I love having a beer especially in this hot weather, but it's guaranteed to give me a headache the next day, even just 1 can is enough to set it off.

It p!sses me off TBH, but this is life...

Tea is my saviour

I love having a beer especially in this hot weather, but it's guaranteed to give me a headache the next day, even just 1 can is enough to set it off.
Get in a stock of paracetamol Clive, 7 days 'til departure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd be feeling unwell in 45 deg Dave but I wouldn't be reaching for the salt cellar. As said above it would be extremely unusual for anyone being too hot and therefore running low on salts.

Being hot is not just the issue. With 80%+ humidity you start sweating at the thought of a walk. We know for a fact we need salt/sodium/potassium in our bodies, if you can rinse enough of it out of your body then it must be replaced right?

My diet is not that great and I do avoid salt in the normal course of life, in summer I try to add to meals if I think about it. What is important is I recognise the symptoms and can deal with it by a simple visit to the pharmacy, many don't and end up in the ER.

Regards

Dave

its been pretty toasty here today - we gave up and got home at about 2pm......at 4.30 we went to drop the truck off to have the winch fitted and lower Ball joints / service/ viscus fan/etc etc done

View attachment 20170828_163421.png

Something a little more worrying is heat and alcohol, no not THAT alcohol.......THIS alcohol!

Alchohol.jpg

Of course we do not buy it to drink, those 'in the know' pour this over a sting or bite and the discomfort or itch disappears, gnat bites are gone overnight, get a cut or plant scratch, pour this over and you may be excused for calling out "oh my, that was a little uncomfortable", often heard as "f*ck that shit hurts!" But afterwards the healing of the skin damage now devoid of bacteria begins very quickly.

But here comes the warning. I purchased two bottles one morning last week and dropped them in the space between the rearmost seats and tailgate of the 80 and then forgot about them! Later in the day I opened the door to get in and was hit with the usual rush of heat as if you had your face near the hot oven when you opened it. Well I was hit with the stink of the alcohol, it really caught my breathe, remembering the two bottles and with eyes stinking and still coughing I opened the tailgate, I found both bottles had pressurised so much in the heat they blown off the lids and emptied!

These were sealed new bottles, you have to cut off the seal with scissors, and of course they are highly flammable, I am a generally safety conscious kind of person, so hands up for being a pratt for leaving them in there.

Just goes to show how easy things could easily have been much worse and can go pear shaped after a blonde moment.

Regards

Dave

its been pretty toasty here today - we gave up and got home at about 2pm......at 4.30 we went to drop the truck off to have the winch fitted and lower Ball joints / service/ viscus fan/etc etc done

View attachment 132272

Nice one, it actually rained for about ten minutes today, but we really need a few days worth.

Regards

Dave

it actually rained for about ten minutes today. Dave

We had about ten minutes of sun (in between the rain showers) here today - while I was strimming the lawn as its been so wet for the past two months my mower won't look at the grass, which is over a foot high in places :doh:.

When riding a Motorcycle around Southern Turkey in 45deg C heat, I was taking those sachets of salts you get in 'Boots the Chemist' in water. They don't taste great but are essential when sweating so much. Actually, I was wearing a 'Mesh' motorcycle jacket over a thin 'T' shirt so wasn't aware of sweating, so it was even more essential to take precautions.

I have never worn that mesh jacket in Scotland :lol:.

Bob.

I appreciate the topic has moved on somewhat from the originl discussion but incase member are unaware it is illegal to wear open backed shoes,ie crocs,flip flops ect while driving in Spain and to wear a hat in an open topped car,I guess in case it blows off into the path of the vehicle behind .When I lived there ( 2006-2012) by misses was fined 120Euros for wearing crocs when she was checked over at one of the tempory road side police check points.

no hat in a convertible! thats just plain bonkers. If your hat blows off then it gets squished.......I had an MX-5 once and coming back from a track day, I had my MX-5 OC cap on and the tips og my ears had gone crusty........slightly sun burned.........cant do without a good hat in the sun. flip flops are illegal here too, but I drive in my crocs with strap on.......

I appreciate the topic has moved on somewhat from the originl discussion but incase member are unaware it is illegal to wear open backed shoes,ie crocs,flip flops ect while driving in Spain and to wear a hat in an open topped car,I guess in case it blows off into the path of the vehicle behind .When I lived there ( 2006-2012) by misses was fined 120Euros for wearing crocs when she was checked over at one of the tempory road side police check points.

Yep, you will find this way back in the thread. Not allowed on mopeds etc.

No shopping within the passenger compartment is a 'biggy' here ATM as well.

Regards

Dave

mmm, I wonder what they would have thought of me this morning - Beretta 9mm pistol in its box, my gun tool box and a big paper target on passenger seat of my van.....no room in the back it was rammed!
If we put our shopping in the boot with the lads, there wouldnt be anything left by the time we got home! Labs will eat everything!

I could buy and own a gun but, I do not feel I have the mental stability to not use it on somebody who had rocked my boat, best I don't get one eh? :icon-biggrin:

My mum's dog used to sit in the rear of the estate car and eat the seat belts, gotta love the four legged vacuums in the back! :lol:

Regards

Dave

I could buy and own a gun but, I do not feel I have the mental stability to not use it on somebody who had rocked my boat, best I don't get one eh? :icon-biggrin:

My mum's dog used to sit in the rear of the estate car and eat the seat belts, gotta love the four legged vacuums in the back! :lol:

Regards

Dave
Thats just reminded me,I got fined 60 Euro for have my Flat coat retriever on the back seat of my Cruiser when I got stopped nr Alicante

I think the Feds in Spain havent got much to do! Either that or there is too many of them :)

Dog is OK if in a harness and clipped to a seat belt.........well assuming my mum's dog has not ate it! :lol:

Regards

Dave

I think the Feds in Spain havent got much to do! Either that or there is too many of them :)

It has been said in Spanish circles the Gaurdia Civil are not compatible with EU thinking, so the Spanish government has tried to distance itself a little by reducing funding, this means the GC has to generate more revenue for themselves.

Having been stopped by the GC more times in a month than my entire previous years the UK, you would think it a little overbearing. The reality is they are with the odd exception very polite and will have you on your way with minimal fuss.

OK arse crawling over for English reading GC :icon-wink:

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back