Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BF Goodrich Allterrain vs. Dunlop Grandtrek AT3?

Blue

Garage
So, the question is, which ones to buy for my LC90.
Anyone has any experiences with any of those?

I need tyres for both, road and offroad terrain ( mud, hills, snow.. ).

Thanks in advance for answers :cool:

The BFG A/T every time ... they will last forever

Personally I would go for the ATs. I run General Grabber AT2s (same tread pattern as BFG ATs) and my hilux was virtually unstoppable in the deep snow and the ensuing floods we had up here. They are also pretty good on the road with minimum of noise and plenty of grip. I have also had no issues with taking the truck off road either. I even got 40K miles out of them with probably another 10K left in them. I was so impressed with them I replaced them with the same and fitted them to my 80 Landcruiser too. :thumbup:

uf, 50-50 :D

What about on asfalt? Noise, speed around 90 km/h? How they behave?

BFG AT are THE tyre. I have had a few sets and never regretted it. People talk a lot about noise. These proper 4x4s with chassis and separate cabins don't suffer much with noise under most circumstances. OK start fitting swampies or something sure, but ATs are not exactly extreme. On a 90 I think that they are one of the best you can fit. The question related to fitting them to a 90 series remember - not all vehicles suit these tyres or vice versa. But on a 90 or 95 they are very good. As for behaviour, there's nothing to say. They don't feel any different. OK slightly better as a matter of fact, but this is not a series Landrover fitted with dumper tyres here.

They're just normal, really good tyres. Take the leap of faith.

Chris

I have had both GG AT2s and BFG ATs and IMO they are virtually identical in performance characteristics. There is very little road noise even upto 120KPH and the handling is a bit less precises compared to dedicated road tyres but nothing out of the ordinary. I would recommend these types of tyres to anyone wanting a good all rounder :thumbup:

Oh and excuse the terrible pun :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd rather make my own tyres out of decomposing Royal Mail red rubber bands than fit another set of Dunlop GaanVreks ....

Not a viable option for much really ... Except perhaps shopping malls

Red Oktober said:
The BFG A/T every time ... they will last forever

+1 just what he said.

Generally you get what you pay for.
Buy cheap, get problems, spend a little more get a good tyre to last the life of the truck

Graham

Ecoman said:
Personally I would go for the ATs. I run General Grabber AT2s (same tread pattern as BFG ATs) and my hilux was virtually unstoppable in the deep snow and the ensuing floods we had up here. They are also pretty good on the road with minimum of noise and plenty of grip. I have also had no issues with taking the truck off road either. I even got 40K miles out of them with probably another 10K left in them. I was so impressed with them I replaced them with the same and fitted them to my 80 Landcruiser too. :thumbup:
To be honest, thats pretty poor going.
I would expect 80,000 from the BFG A/T

Seriously, 40k is nothing.

Graham

BFG AT are brilliant tyres! You can drive at 60 miles an hour on an unpaved road in a 3 tonne truck over a sharp rocks 200mm in diameter without fear of getting a puncture over and over again. The only problem with subjecting them to such abuse is that the will wear out a bit faster and only last about 30-40k miles but what other all round tyre can do that?

Graham said:
To be honest, thats pretty poor going.
I would expect 80,000 from the BFG A/T

Seriously, 40k is nothing.

Graham

Not really poor considering I use them on and off road. From motorways to farm tracks and they have to contend with towing and deep snow/mud for a lot longer than average due to being in Aberdeenshire. I could still have used them for another 10-15K (8-10mm tread left)comfortably I could have maybe got 65k out of them if I ran them to their wear limit but decided to change for a new set as the snow came down hard for a few days and I wanted to have a fighting chance. No point of risking getting stuck in the snow just for the sake of I gave the tyres to my mate who is still using them over a year later. When you also consider they are almost £30 per tyre cheaper then it works out to be a £ per mile ratio.

They both have the same price here actually.. But I think I'll give BFG AT a try :cool:

The tyres she has on right now are in bad condition, if I tell you I can drift with my Yota :D

I got 80 000 miles out of my last set of BFG A/T's . Mind I did rotate them at sevices and kept pressures right.
By the 8th year they were begining to crack up a bit and perish. When I changed them they had at least 5 mm tread left.
I fit them to everything now.

Andy

Back