Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BF Goodrich K02's Balancing????

br1anuk

Ive had a set of BFG K02's for nearly two years and I'm coming to the end of my tether with them.
Ive just had my wheels refurbed and powder coated and part of the deal was new valves and balancing.
This is the third time this full set of tyres has been rebalanced and I chose the wheels with the least amount of weights on them to put on the front, the tyre fitter actually said to me only to use one wheel and tyre as a spare as it took so much weight.
I complained about the tyres to BFG when I first got them and there response was i would have to buy another set and if they found a problem with the original ones they'd credit me.
Has anyone else had problems balancing BFG K02's?

I had some KO2 275's on my Collie on 80 rims and they did take quite a lot of weights to balance them. That said they were balanced and stayed balanced.
You might consider Dyna beads or the gloop Chris uses. I seem to remember he has 315's and no balance weights at all.

+1 for Dyna beads, they seem to work.... but only if the imbalance is in the vertical plane. If your problem is with the lateral imbalance they're useless.

I have the seemingly impossible task of trying to balance 50" 100kg XZL tyres for the truck. Even regular HGV tyre places can't balance these huge tyres. Added some ceramic Dyna beads and they make a difference, but don't cure the lateral imbalance.

+1 for Dyna beads, they seem to work.... but only if the imbalance is in the vertical plane. If your problem is with the lateral imbalance they're useless.

I have the seemingly impossible task of trying to balance 50" 100kg XZL tyres for the truck. Even regular HGV tyre places can't balance these huge tyres. Added some ceramic Dyna beads and they make a difference, but don't cure the lateral imbalance.

It’s my view also that the size (mass) of the wheel and tyre combined is the governing factor with successful balancing.

With my KM2s, one of them when fitted and run on the balancing machine, showed it needed over 250 grams. Immediately the fitter stopped the machine, chalk-marked the rim and tyre, broke the bead and rotated the tyre on the rim by 180 degrees. After a re-spin on the balancing machine, it was calling for 45 grams.
The maximum I have on mine is 60 grams, which I consider to be a lot, but at least they are all in balance.
I’ve never used balancing gloop or beads (yet), so can’t comment.

When I had mine fitted I asked for balancing weights on the inside wheel and seem to remember there being quite a lot added. Either way had no issues since thankfully and really can’t comment on how much weight is needed generally but I guess the wheel itself may play apart in that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had BF KO'2 on my 120, I had the standard wheels refurbed and they used the stick on weights at the back, from what i remember there were quite a few i didnt have any problems with them being out of balance. i did have a problem when i had BF AT's on my Colorado and that was due to some of the weights being jet washed off, Avoid using the hand car washes that blast the wheels with the jet wash (most of them) instead of brush or sponge. because of the open design of the wheel they can blast the weights off and you end up un balanced again.

Back