Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BFG K02 wet road performance questions/alternatives

mr_magicfingers

I'm replacing the cheap tyres that came on my '05 120. I live on a farm and probably do 80-90% of my driving on roads with some towing of a livestock trailer and time on farm tracks and occasionally across fields. There may be a bit more off road going camping etc but that's pretty limited in the UK.

Given the weather in Devon, I'm often on wet roads and reading reviews for the K02 it seems the wet weather performance is often criticised. Just wondering what folks on here might be able to offer in real world performance. Is the wet weather grip something to be worried about?

Other than that, the K02 seems to be a great all round tyre but, before I drop £890 getting a set of 5 fitted, I figured I'd ask and see if I should be looking at an alternative or if the complaints are justified. I don't expect race car grip from the truck but also I don't want to put me and my family at undue risk.

I have been using them for years on a few different trucks and have been fantastic, I for one would not change to another brand

I'm replacing the cheap tyres that came on my '05 120. I live on a farm and probably do 80-90% of my driving on roads with some towing of a livestock trailer and time on farm tracks and occasionally across fields. There may be a bit more off road going camping etc but that's pretty limited in the UK.

Given the weather in Devon, I'm often on wet roads and reading reviews for the K02 it seems the wet weather performance is often criticised. Just wondering what folks on here might be able to offer in real world performance. Is the wet weather grip something to be worried about?

Other than that, the K02 seems to be a great all round tyre but, before I drop £890 getting a set of 5 fitted, I figured I'd ask and see if I should be looking at an alternative or if the complaints are justified. I don't expect race car grip from the truck but also I don't want to put me and my family at undue risk.
I have found the Ko2 tyres to be fantastic in the wet and so they should be coz they have a B rating for wet road driving , not many A/T tyres have a B rating for wet road driving in fact I dont know any other A/T tyre with a B wet rating , and I have not seen ANY tyre with a A rating , when it rains here in Cyprus you can not see more than 100 metres ahead of you in most cases and the Ko2s perform first class giving you great confidence driving and braking on fully drenched roads that throw up masses of water spay from your own and other vehicles .

this is the only real life comparison I have
I brought 2 new D-Max trucks in 2015 my one had KO2' fitted the other had Toyo AT tyres fitted
My truck did 75K on them before I traded it for a new one, the other with Toyo needed new ones at around 40K. both trucks were doing the same job and towing every day

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks David, that's great to hear. I think I'm now sold on the K02's and will be getting a set fitted next week.

I'm running Yokohama GO15, they're all season snowflake/mountain stamped so pass officially as winter rested if needed.
Very impressed indeed, they don't come with really deep tread like BFG's or Hankook AT's, about 9mm IIRC, but they are wearing well, the ride is compliant and quiet and the wet grip some of the best i've come across.

Have read good things about Falken Wildpeak AT3WA, might give them a try next time.

Whilst a good tyre i didn't rate wet road grip as brilliant when i had BFG AT's on the 70 series, but that was selectable 4WD so inclined to be tail happy in he wet in normal 2WD anyway.

I've been through 2 sets of BFG ATs on mine and never had a problem with them in the wet

Thanks for that. The Yoko was one of the others I looked at but the KO2 seems like it would be better on a muddy field. Definitely on the shortlist though. Thanks.

I think the Wildpeak and the Yokohama are pretty much road biased AT tyres tbh

Another waving a BFG AT KO2 flag...
Got mine to have the 3PMSF symbol (legal requirement here) and they’re just great, end of.

Got Yokos Geo ATs on the 4x4 Sprinter - fine as a road and occasional off road/bad road tyre, and they've worn okay, but when we came to fit them I was surprised how flimsy the side wall was. I've never had a problem with them, but its always in the back of my head when things get sketchy. Never had an issue with BFGs or Coopers, and much more substantial tyres.

I just bought the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA , They get rave reviews 50k mile warranty! (really can't see that) M+S 60/40. I could not justify the BFG price tag. Paid £100 each fitted....We will see how they do.

Graeme

Been using BFG AT KO and KO2 for more than 20 years, no complaints no punctures and 80k life expectancy. If I didn't want to pay quite that much I'd go for GG AT3's as an alternative.

Back