Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BFG Ko2 A/T Snow and Ice

In the bin they go then!! I didn't realise being S/H and only months old they wouldn't be any good. Bugger.

The soft rubber is what helps the most, and rubber hardens over time. Even the best nordic winter tyres are bad after 4 seasons.

Andy would've thought only being a couple of months old they'd be fine, they are practically new?

Andy would've thought only being a couple of months old they'd be fine, they are practically new?

Still got pips on Brian, of course they are ok. With the minimal ammount of snow we get here I don't see a problem.

Second hand tyres are useless for snow/ice conditions. The soft rubber is what helps the most, and rubber hardens over time. Even the best nordic winter tyres are bad after 4 seasons. In fact, japanese winter tyres can be used as winter tyres for 3 years, and then as summer tyres, as the rubber is harder further in. That's how they do it over there, I've heard.
What a load of rubbish, it must all depend on the age of the tyre, you can but a 2nd hand tyre a few months old, I still have 4 old BFG AT's that came with Andy Cooks old 90, god know's how old they must be. We put them on a snow ploughing pick up and believe me they are 100 times better than normal road tyres

Last edited:
They will be about 5yrs old David

I use BFG AT on my hilux from spring to autumn and have vredstein wintracs on for the winter
Winter tyres aren't just for snow, the rubber has more silicon content so tyres are softer and grip better even on tarmac when below 7degC

But we tend to get quite a bit more snow up here than you guys do down south, and I am a keen skier, so tend to go up into the hills in search of snow during the winter

Went skiing today :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Canadian tyres also did the review in the first video on this page and the BFG ko2 came out with a great review on snow and ice. So this video applies in general but not to the ko2 :)
Not right.
The KO2 is great on snow and ice, for beeing an A/T tyre. It is still no match for a dedicated nordic winter tyre.

Not right.
The KO2 is great on snow and ice, for beeing an A/T tyre. It is still no match for a dedicated nordic winter tyre.
I would never indicate that it was. The video was just saying that a general A/T tyre is completely rubbish in the snow and ice but this is not the case. Of course it can't match a full nordic winter tyre in performance ... but no one said that it can.

These BFG A/T tyres you are all talking about are you all using these as your general use,all year round tyre or are you swapping them over for your off road trips and if so do you generally have two sets of rims and swap the whole wheel.
If they are for general/tarmac /motorway use how do they perform.I have a set of "standard" road tyres but we had light dusting of snow here a few nights ago and may well get more over the coming winter,not that I am able to dive for the next 2 mths but would you suggest it would be a good idea to change to A/T tyres as I am living in an area prone to snow,thanks.

Last edited:
I think the consensus is to change to a dedicated winter tyre if you are in such an area Matt. This would be both tyre and rim as changing the tyres on the rim may cause damage, would need re-balancing every time and would soon lose its appeal.

I think the consensus is to change to a dedicated winter tyre if you are in such an area Matt. This would be both tyre and rim as changing the tyres on the rim may cause damage, would need re-balancing every time and would soon lose its appeal.

I've got dedicated winter tyres/wheels for the rwd Beemer, even the wife had no issues in snow where other people did.

Agree if you want a tyre specifically for winter/snow proper winter tyres are the way to go.

I think the fact that these tyres are called "All Terrain" pretty much says it all. They're an all round compromise designed to offer decent performance and longevity over the greatest range of surfaces. Off course they're no match for a dedicated Winter tyre on snow & ice but you wouldn't fit or expect Winter tyres to be any good on rough gravel/rocky tracks either. Certainly for this country (and I include the Scottish Highlands here) I reckon they're more than adequate as we don't get anything like the severity of Winter weather that is the norm in places like Canada, Alaska, the Scandinavian countries etc. JMO

These BFG A/T tyres you are all talking about are you all using these as your general use,all year round tyre or are you swapping them over for your off road trips and if so do you generally have two sets of rims and swap the whole wheel.
If they are for general/tarmac /motorway use how do they perform.I have a set of "standard" road tyres but we had light dusting of snow here a few nights ago and may well get more over the coming winter,not that I am able to dive for the next 2 mths but would you suggest it would be a good idea to change to A/T tyres as I am living in an area prone to snow,thanks.
i ran road tyres for years on my 80, if you do nothing but road they are a dream, smooth, quite and good fuel economy. I always had a set of winter tyres on separate rims though. in the end I went with a set of ATs as it was insulting to the 80 getting stuck on a bit of wet grass at chatsworth show etc whilst surrounded by landrovers. they are a little noisier and fuel economy will go down a little. if you can only run one set of tyres I would go with the best ATs you can afford.

I love winter driving in proper conditions, I had a bit of a baptism of fire serving my apprenticeship in buxton which meant driving the A53 as a 17 year old in my fiat panda 4x4. I learnt the hard way on a few occasions..
for me a separate set of winters on there own rims are a no brainer, I get 4-5 years out of a set if I use them every year. if they are the difference that allows me to get to work for only one day of each of them years they have payed for themselves.
they have surprised me on several occasions, the most notable being when they dragged this trailer with the same load up a very steep bank after a couple of inches of fresh snow.( froghall bank, @madmanmart will know it.) I honestly thought I had no chance, but with the centre diff engaged they didn't even loose traction.

10 foot tipper trailer loaded with green oak, all split by hand @nick_the_fish .

logging with mark.jpg

The A53, Axe Edge, Flash Bar, The Winking Man. Know it well. My Mum hails from Leek so we used to do that run fairly regularly visiting relations when I was kid. I remember one year we were all coming home in my Dad's Mini Countryman in what seemed like feet of snow (probably only several inches) and it was a complete white out over Axe Edge. No idea how long it took us to get home as I fell asleep in the back!

i live just outside leek tp. ive had a many an occasion where ive had to stop driving because I literally cant see because of the driving snow. iirc flash is the highest village in England.

It was quite an experience leaving yours the other day!

It was quite an experience leaving yours the other day!
hopefully there will be more this year if we get a proper winter and I get this dash cam I'm pushing for off em for chrismas..:icon-biggrin:

Back