Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BFG KO2s - wet handling?

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
For those of you that have KO2's, how do you find the handling on tarmac, specifically in the rain? I've seen mixed thing online, so wanted some trusted real world opinions. Thanks!

I have a set on my mk4 hilux twin cab. It's only 2.4 turbo and no power house but I can easily get the back end out of shape in the damp. I know it's not very heavy on the back end so maybe a lot better on a heavier truck. I think I'm going to be putting them on my 60 series when its done to be honest. I've heard they don't have the huge lifespan of the old bfg ats. I got them as new on an old surf I moved on. Can't say I'd pay the money to replace them again to be fair.

I have had mine since late 2015 and found them good in the rain , they have a B rating for wet road driving, mine are the 121/118S extra load version I air mine at 40 psi , these tyres are stiff and like a higher air pressure than the 29psi that Toyota specify for road tyres , they handle motorway curves very well at high speed due to the very stiff side walls on the 121/118S versions , dont know about the other versions , the the size I fitted are 265/70/17 and when I renew them I will go for the 275/65/17 extra load ko2 instead because the wider size look about the same width as the standard road tyres and is only a half inch bigger overall diameter instead of the 1 inch bigger overall of the 265/70/17s , Bf/g tyres seem to look narrower than the same size road tyres for some reason , and I like wide tyres on cars to me they make the car/truck look so much better ,

I think airing ko2 tyres at 29psi will cause more fuel use and more tyre noise , more tyre wear and maybe less grip in the wet , at 40 psi I dont notice any more tyre noise or more fuel usage or less road grip at speed or in the wet than the standard road tyres , but as for fuel usage I deleted the egr valve with a full blanking plate and a ozbush mapper at the same time as fitting the ko2 tyres so not 100% sure if that makes a difference .

I have run them on my Hilux for 7 years and fine in rain. Had traction control flash sometimes at junctions pulling out, but very rare.

I've had them in 265/75R16 since june 2016. The first summer I tried hard provoking them to aqua planing without success, and found them very stable in all kinds of conditions. Today, in the fifth year, I managed a tiny bit of aqua planing on one wheel, going 90-95 km/h on the highway when hitting a small puddle in a groove.
All in all they are very stable, wet and dry, cold and warm. Not noisy and even usable in snow when new. I run 36 psi normally.
That they have a shorter lifespan than earlier version, indicates that the rubber has better friction/grip.
Always go with the narrower option if possible. It will generally give you better handling, better friction, less wear on both tyres and suspension components, less power steer, and better economy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just an update..Checked pressures on my hilux today and rears were at 14 lb so could explain my findings. Not been wet yet but can only imagine it will be a lot better.

I suppose it depends on what you compare them with. A 100% asphalt tyre will give you way more grip in the wet, but compare them against a mud tyre, such as KM2s, and they’re way better. I‘ve got 285/75/16 KO2s on my 80 at present, and I’m well pleased with them as a good all-rounder.

I suppose it depends on what you compare them with. A 100% asphalt tyre will give you way more grip in the wet,....
I had the Michelin LTX earlier, and they where much more slippery on wet summer roads.

Never had a problem with BFG AT's of any age in the wet in 25 years of using them on 80's. Mind, I don't drive to provoke them in any conditions let alone wet, greasy conditions.

Just to throw some colour into this conversation, I’ve used both BFG MT’s & AT’s (both old style and new in the AT’s). I’ve also used Cooper ST’s & STT’s, but when it came to re-booting Swampy way back in 2016, I went for the Cooper ST Maxx & haven’t stopped loving them since. From memory the new BFG KO2’s are made from a harder compound than the old BFG A/T’s to give them better longevity and economy. Not that there was anything wrong with the old AT’s longevity IMO. So think it must have been to do with the old economy rating. I’m sure I did a thread on it way back.

love the look of the BFG KO2’s, but I’m super happy with my Cooper ST Maxx’s

00CE64A4-5942-4E12-9D30-B5EBF1F3C680.jpeg

Look at those sipps

1D85DC71-3F0F-42F9-8BE0-EA61241A468D.jpeg

Last edited:
Not had any problems in the wet that I can remember with mine either.

I have had Dunlop at2, Yokohama AT, Yokohama HT and bfg ko2 on the 120. A new set of bfg's were far far worse than the HT that had done 35k already. This is on regular tarmac, moderate and light rain conditions. I am with @Clive here, no AT or MT is going to come near the road performance of a tyre built for the tarmac and vehicle weight.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a 10yr, 80k mile tyre, but it's nice to be able to drive around a bend in the wet and stop with intent, if needed.

Love the ko2 on the 105 though. Different use, different goals, different profile.

Steve, I'm with you with the Cooper ST Maxx. I took new BFG AT2's off my 80 24V auto and put the Cooper ST Maxx back on. This was primarily to use some older tyres up. Can't tell the difference on the road TBF, they grip wet or dry, they've been round Morocco, on some rough tracks without damage and theres still 9.5-10 mm on them.
What I took off:-
IMG_1912.JPG

What I put back on:-
IMG_1913.JPG

Andy like the way you have tried to hide the stratchs with youre finger

Back