Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big Wheels

G3 Smurph

Country Flag
south_africa
Any one else been experimenting with rim and tyre sizes? How about 15 x 10 rims, negative offset, 30mm hub wheel spacers and 37/12.5 R15's. Any thoughts?

We have BFGs 10.5 x 15 on 60 series rims plus a 2.5" lift.
Some years ago we offered up a set of 12.5. x 35s. But for us it made our 40 look over tyred so we stuck with what we have.
Just personal choice but I have always been dubious about spacers and the extra stresses they exert on the hubs.
Might be worth looking at images of modified 40s in the USA so you get the idea of what it will look like with that size of wheel/tyre on it. For me, I'd need a step ladder to get in!!

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Roger.

Thank you for taking an interest. It's much appreciated.

Maybe I was dropped as a small child but my ideal vision of a 4x4 has always been a matchbox on top of four doughnuts. Maybe it's just me.

When you had the 35/12.5's fitted, did you experience any rubbing/touching when cornering or bottoming out?

Very best regards
Jeffrey

The most constructive comparison I've been able to make so far is from thus wonderful site.

Screenshot_2017-04-09-21-38-28.png Screenshot_2017-04-09-21-38-18.png

I have just uploaded a few photos. More interesting ones to follow.

Jeffrey.

Be sure to investigate the true tyre sizes as apposed to the size written on the wall , it varies between brands but some 37's are actually 35 when fitted and inflated for driving . An advertised 35" might be 33.5 and a 33" actually 31.5 .

I can only guess manufacturers get their measurements from tyres inflated to max pressure and then round off the number to the nearest recognized size .

Does your 40 have power steering because i'm sure it would help if your going to run with a massive offset .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jeffrey,

When we tried them we didn't get as far as running with them - the look was just not what we wanted - but Jonnie had them on his 40 and they did restrict his turning circle. We have a coil spring front end with radius arms but the arms sit in the same place as the leaf springs so we would have had the same problem. And where we live in a narrow street in the old part of town the turning circle is important. To get up our street I have around 2 " clearance so the wider tyres and rims would have made it impossible. But then not everyone lives up a stupidly narrow street! We have 60 series power steering fitted.
The tyre guide is very interesting and with you having the farm, I guess, you do alot of four wheeling and the bigger size will change the gearing. No idea if that is important but it may be worthy of consideration.
We have 60 series axles in and they are 70mm wider which may mean that you wouldn't need spacers and they give disc brakes on the front.

Regards,

Rodger

Not a 40 series, admitted, but on my 80, I've got 305/70/16s on 10"x16" -20 steels, measuring 33", and I recon they're at the limit of the 1HZ (no turbo) gearing.

Top speed has dropped from 140 kph down to 125-130 kph, and I think bigger than 33" would bring it down more due to the "overdrive" effect.

Looks ok though IMO, and it really is down to personal preference. I like the look of 40s in both scenarios, tall & skinny and fatties.

I've driven both types offroad, and they react differently (depending on conditions) but I can't say one is better or worse than the other, but they are and feel different in many ways when driving.

I like the wide tyres on asphalt though, IMO skinnies dont work well on the black stuff.

Back