Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ/FJ40 Swivel shims

Jaguar12

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All.
Recently rebuilt both front hubs on my BJ40. I have found that I need to re-shim the left one as there seems to be some play.
My question is ---- can I Swap shims in and out by simply removing one cap at a time without removing everything (brake back plate, stub,axle etc)
Any advice appreciated, Ian.

Hi Ian,

I have done it.
The truck was obviously on an axle stand but I also supported the stub axle on one too. I only needed to adjust the bottom and the most awkward bit was getting the bearing lined up to re-insert the shim pad. But no ill-effects and that was several thousand miles ago.
I would suggest that you get other opinions as I am an no expert, so the professionals may say that it is not good practice.

Regards

Hi Ian,

I have done it.
The truck was obviously on an axle stand but I also supported the stub axle on one too. I only needed to adjust the bottom and the most awkward bit was getting the bearing lined up to re-insert the shim pad. But no ill-effects and that was several thousand miles ago.
I would suggest that you get other opinions as I am an no expert, so the professionals may say that it is not good practice.

Regards
Great - many thanks for your reply. It will only require a minor shim so it shouldn't put the swivel housing far off centre so I will try for the bottom only - shouldn't really start a drive shaft oil leak.
I reckon it would be possible to do both but the top one would require removing the brake line which I don't really want to do.
All the best to you for your help. I will have to post in the 'Newbie' section and introduce myself ASAP - Ian.

Hi Ian,

It should only be grease in this section of the axle, if you get oil then the inner oil seal has gone walkabout!
I did the top one by releasing the caliper bolts and tying it up out of the way. But then again you may have drum brakes, so that wouldn't work!

Look forward to your 'intro'

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

It should only be grease in this section of the axle, if you get oil then the inner oil seal has gone walkabout!
I did the top one by releasing the caliper bolts and tying it up out of the way. But then again you may have drum brakes, so that wouldn't work!

Look forward to your 'intro'

Regards,
Hi Rodger - Had to strip it all down.

The vehicle has drum brakes so the brake back plate has to be removed - Oh well, all's ok now.

Cheers for your attempt to help.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

You're welcome, just sorry it wasn't more help but at least the problem is solved.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back