Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ40 24 VOLT PARTS

acmarc

Country Flag
united_states
Hello , I am new to this site, I am restoring a 1979 BJ40 I am very frustrated looking for 24v parts, including the gauge cluster. any ideas or sites to recommend? I appreciate it.

Also has anyone installed AC in a BJ40 24V

Kind regards

Hi Marc,

Not sure if this helps but if you are able to get hold of suitable 12v parts have you considered installing a 24v to 12v converter and running at 12v for those parts or even anything other than starting?

You could try Dave Humphreys - he supplied me a 24V power window relay that I hunted for several months. He is in New Zealand though!!!
[email protected]

Hi and welcome.
www.sor.com who are based in LA do a number of parts including electrical for BJ40s. A couple of shops in Europe that may be able to help are: www.euro4x4parts.com and www.megastore4x4.pt
Re the gauge cluster, I am reasonably sure that the 12v and 24v clusters are the same but the dash bulbs get changed for 24v. I needed to change from a mph to a kms speedometer and other than changing the bulbs to 24v it has worked fine for the last six years.
The BJ40 was never officially imported to the USA but it was to Canada so if sor can't help you it may be worth searching out a supplier in Canada. Somewhere I have the info on a couple of Canadian shops so I'll see if I can find them for you.

Photos - we need photos

Regards,

Rodger

Hi and welcome.
www.sor.com who are based in LA do a number of parts including electrical for BJ40s. A couple of shops in Europe that may be able to help are: www.euro4x4parts.com and www.megastore4x4.pt
Re the gauge cluster, I am reasonably sure that the 12v and 24v clusters are the same but the dash bulbs get changed for 24v. I needed to change from a mph to a kms speedometer and other than changing the bulbs to 24v it has worked fine for the last six years.
The BJ40 was never officially imported to the USA but it was to Canada so if sor can't help you it may be worth searching out a supplier in Canada. Somewhere I have the info on a couple of Canadian shops so I'll see if I can find them for you.

Photos - we need photos

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks for this great information!!!
please if you have the info on canadian suppliers i would be very grateful

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Marc,

Not sure if this helps but if you are able to get hold of suitable 12v parts have you considered installing a 24v to 12v converter and running at 12v for those parts or even anything other than starting?

Thanks for the idea, not sure how this would work, I am not an electrical expert. not sure if wiring harness would need to be replaced, or any other parts

You would need to check the sizing of the wires in the harness, or at least the fuse rating as the current would double and hence the current carrying capacity of the wiring would need to be double what it is now. If you need to change loom that could take you back to square one and be just as tricky if not more so, so probably not worth it. Your best bet of course is sourcing the parts you need in 24V.
Seems like you have some good leads above so shouldn't need to go this route.

I am reasonably sure that the looms are the same in that when I was helping Jonnie with his ali 40 he had a loom from Oz and the wiring, connectors and fuse box were identical in wire thickness etc to the 24v loom. However not being electrically minded this may have been wishful thinking but we did notice that there were no obvious differences and the vehicle it came from was a BJ42 which is 12v.
Would that make sense? Making the looms identical and applying 12v units where applicable would have saved on production costs. The FJ40 loom is obviously different but for the BJs the 12v vehicles were very much in the minority being produced for Oz.

Regards,
Rodger

most of the cluster is 12v they have a reducer on the back of the cluster to drop the voltage. I think the amp gauge sees the full 24v though. I can’t remember I know I just removed the resistor when I switched to 12v and all was fine. If I remember correctly only things I changed when going back to 12 volts was the heater blower motor and wiper motor and removed resistor from the back of the cluster
The circuit board in the cluster is different it has a break in the one section (pbc) so when I removed resistor I had to install a jumper wire. To get it all to function again. 1978 BJ40 Canada. It was a parts rig now running 350 Chevy. Wire harness is different only as it has to also support the glow system. But most of the harness is the same.

Back