Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ42 Restoration Project

BC Outpost

Country Flag
canada
Hello I’m new to the Forum and have not been around to my Cruiser in quite some time. Now I have a daughter who has to have it so I guess the rugged off road utility vehicle requires a face lift prior to heading off to university. The 1985 BJ 42 is really a good ol rig with the 5 speed tranny and factory power steering, even if it is a bit of a goofy system. Before setting it to rest for nearly a dozen years I had just done the birfield joints and replaced the suspension with brand new OME shocks, springs and shackles. For me it was a driver now I must see about cosmetics. The bones are good, hood, windshield frame and window good as well as the firewall and dash . The tub is fairly straight but seen better times. I still have a bunch of OEM parts some of which are factory new, fenders, running boards steel and fiberglass roof panels as well a a few sets of doors. The doors for some reason were termed “diesel doors” and this Is where I forgot about why they were termed that way. They look the same as anything on an FJ40 so what’s the deal or is there even a difference at all? I have not decided on which route I’m taking with the tub, welded in patch panels or full replacement with steel or aluminum. This said the if I order a tub, rockers or anything around the door it is important to try and find out if there is a difference between these 40 series doors. Any help on this and opinions on tub and panel manufactures would be appreciated. Thanks you, I look forward to you input.

Hi and welcome...
There are 3 different types of door but it is fairly straight forward:
1 Up to '63
2 '63-'74
3 '74 onwards

The '63 doors were slightly smaller. The '63-'74 doors had quarter lights. After '74 to the end of production the doors for both FJs and BJs are the same.

So why are they called 'diesel doors'? Because excluding the prototype which was designated a 'BJ', there were no diesel 40 series LCs prior to the updates in '74 so the doors that fit all the 40 series after the changes in '74 are called 'diesel doors' but they fit all the models after that change.

A tub swap is no small job so if your tub is repairable it may make the resto quicker but if you go the new tub route carefully check the door apertures are as per the factory in all dimensions otherwise you may have to buy their door as well as all the new tubs available world wide are after market.

Hope that helps.

We do like photos and progress reports with photos.

By your forum name are you in BC. My eldest lives in Alberta and works in BC

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks Roger for the very good information as it clears up the whole shop lingo thing about the"Diesel Doors" and puts my mind at ease as to ordering body panels or a tub. I would certainly prefer to do the weld in patching as opposed to the full tub replacement the only way to find out is to start stripping. I will do my best to keep a photo record of the project.

Hi BC,

To assist in your decision as to'new tub' or not, it may be worth searching through the 40 section on here as there are a number of rebuild projects which show the repair details. Similarly there are numerous on www:i8mud.com , an American based site, but you may find the choices too numerous to be valuable.

Regards,

Rodger

Back