Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

black / airtop roof tents

I'm sure Jon will add his 2c in a bit but I'd say yes it is. The only thing I found a bit fiddly was tucking the canvas in when closing it but not really a showstopper. Very nice bit of kit :thumbup:

Karl has it now & has put a few nights on it so might be worth asking his opinion too :cool:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Haven't owned this for nearly 2 years now Paul but yes they are very easy to put up/down.

The only thing I found a bit fiddly was tucking the canvas in when closing it but not really a showstopper
I don't think I showed you how to do it did i? I had to show Karl at Lincomb when I noticed it was only half shut! It's easy when you know how it's supposed to be done :whistle:

I've found mine very easy and quick to pack away (even quicker to erect) as Gav says the only fiddly bit is tucking in. There are elastic ropes inside that clip to each side to pull the fabric inwards which helps, don't forget as I did once :oops: to attach these as the fabric got caught between the rams and cut it. :thumbdown:

Paul I looked at all these styles of tents and the only disadvantage of the Airtop is that you still have to climb up to the front end of the truck to pull the front down to close the tent. Easy enough if your truck has no lift, or if your not carrying anything at the front of the RR. If you have either, then it can be a bit of a pain.

The clam-shell really is so simple. Only have the rear end to pull down and it takes literally 20 sec to close. I had a additional under mattress made for my Hanibal impi and then had extra long clamps installed so I don't have to fight the clam to close it.

The only potential issue of you are tall your feet need a little more space at the hinge end.

The Aitrop and the Baroud solve this, albeit with the extra closing fuss. The solution is buy a clam that is long enough so your feet aren't near the end.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Was told that the wind up Mags are easier to pack away as it can be done by one person, surely the AirTop with the gas struts can be packed away by one person too?

Is BOAB the only UK supplier of these?

Haven't owned this for nearly 2 years now....
What have you got now Jon?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a wind up Mag. What you need to do when you wind down is to stop some 5cm short of closing it and work your way round the tent tucking in the fabric. Its a bit of a pain to reach round the front. Then lowering the final 5cm keeping an eye out for any fabric trying to sneak out again.

As a tent, it is comfortable. It can withstand fairly strong wind - you can feel the truck being buffeted but you're ok in the tent, and I've used it in the rain without any problem. The drawback I see it that the Mag pretty much occupies the whole of the roof space.

Was told that the wind up Mags are easier to pack away as it can be done by one person, surely the AirTop with the gas struts can be packed away by one person too?
I didn't find putting the airtop down any harder than the wind up model if anything it is slightly easier you just need to do it right - pull the front down and put the straps on the first click then make sure all fabric is over the top of the front struts not between, go to rear and pull down till nearly closed and hook the pull rope toggle over the rear lower catch to hold it in that position, tuck fabric over rear struts, tuck side fabric in as needed then pull rear down tuck pull rope in and put the rear strap on a couple of clicks. Then go back and forth a couple of times pulling the front down a couple of clicks, then the rear, is what I found worked best to squash the air out of the bedding etc if you have plenty in there. For a wind up one, wind it down to nearly closed then at the front and back roll up the excess fabric and tuck into the pocket between the scissor mechanism and outer shell at the bottom then it can't get trapped. Doing it at the front is a bit tricky because of leaning across the roof. Then tuck in the sides and wind it down the last bit.

The pop up and wind up models still have different ventilation arrangements on the doors last time I checked. Pop up gets you more internal length. There is quite a big variation in storage volume for bedding etc between different models.

Is BOAB the only UK supplier of these?
They are the UK importer for Autohome but there are other suppliers who get their stock from BOAB. I don't know if other suppliers bother to show people how to use them though?

What have you got now Jon?
We had a Hannibal family sized folder for the last 2 summers since sold so just an Oz tent for now till I sort out another roof tent.

Last edited:
.... The clam-shell really is so simple....
Thanks Loz, I hadn't even considered these. Although lower at the 'pointy ends' they certainly have more head room in the middle.

I didn't find putting the airtop down any harder than the wind up model if anything it is slightly easier you just need to do it right....
Thanks Jon. I guess I need to get down to BOAB and have a look at the options available.

I was 'sold' on the James Baroud but feel the 1.6m wide (the only option) is too much for our needs.

I had the large wind-up white Mag which overlapped the roof rack by 5cm each side making the truck look a bit top heavy,

1.JPG

so bought the smaller black pop up one which is the exact width of the roof rack and looks much neater and the black colour looks better with the red 80. :thumbup:

3.JPG

Pulling the front down is slightly awkward, I originally attached a rope to the toggle and running it under my roof light bar so it had a downward pull and then to the front of the truck and pulling it from there, but if you open a front door and stand 'inside' the car it's a lot easier to reach the pull down toggle. As Lazz said the clam shell ones could be easier to open/close, if I was buying one again I think that's what I would go for. :think:

Hi Paul
My 2p worth. Fantastic bit of kit. I'd be very supprised if you didn't like the air top. I got Holly to time me putting it up and under a minuet wasn't bad at all (on my own)
putting it down is fairly quick and easy. Even doing it wrong :icon-biggrin: takes no time at all. With two people its better still.

Back