Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Black paint on barns

Hemi

Country Flag
great_britain
Gents help wanted
I want to paint a timber clad building with a black paint / stain but I don’t know what’s it called in the trade , and please don’t answer with it’s black paint
Regards john

you can get it from one of the big DIY stores.
i use black ash from cuprinol if i remember correctly.

"Ranch Paint" from B+Q. I dilute mine so it's nice and thin so it seeps in to the wood as much as possible.

If its an old building creosote is likely what was used before , i think it got banned because it lasts too long ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not banned. You're just supposed to be a professional user to apply it. Buy it off the shelf at most agri dealers. All our fence posts are creo soaked. You get some impressive burns handling it.

For a moment i thought it said black paint on bairns , unnecessarily cruel IMO. creosote is carcinogenic although it works well .Old engine oil , diesel & lots of other toxic shit will preserve wood but for new posts & new outdoor cladding i've been charring/burning wood now for some time.This is something one of my uncles told me , after the war with creosote in short supply posts were treated in this way.The Japanese have been doing this for hundreds of years

Back