Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bloody cars

I can see the fault Gary - it's the red wire coming out of the connector. It's a bad crimp.

Must say - your thread gives a bit of faith about when you drop the car off at a dealer with a fault. They don't (always) fob you off with "we can't make it happen" or "it's just how it is". Thanks for that.
I dropped the 150 off at the dealer this evening for a drone it's developed between 1500 and 2000. Already been out for a long drive with your Toyota equivalent. He agrees there is something there and is now going to spend tomorrow trying to understand what it is and compare it to another 150. Holding thumbs he's as thorough as you are trying to find a penny :)

I hope it's as easy as the red wire lol.
It never logs a fault code which is why it's been fobbed off previously, it's never faulted so others haven't been interested in it. Seen the video evidence of the stuff it does.
My suspicion is the main body control unit but there's a possibility of a connection issue within the loom for a bus network (there's quite a few)
I got technical to interrogate the control units further and there's some ghost codes (we can't see them) with those codes it gives me a couple of networks to investigate.
Some customers believe we just plug a computer in and it tells us exactly what's wrong! I wish lol.

Hopefully you get the 150 sorted out, if the tech agrees something isn't right with a bit of luck he'll stop when it's sorted. Back to back testing is always good for stuff like that. Noises and such are what eats time as can be difficult to pin point.

The problem at dealers is the way techs get paid, if you're not being super productive you're not earning bonus! A problem job comes in and no one wants it, if it's not a quick fix it costs them money, if it can't be faulted instantly it often gets fobbed off. I honestly hate how that works as it doesn't help the customer.

I'm not paid like that so I could spend a week on a fault and not worry about it.

Car electrics are a nightmare as I found with the Smart. You cannot do a proper test as you need the vehicle driving round sometimes to cause the fault to manifest itself. Hence it can end up needing a leap of faith to change a part and go through a process of elimination. At least that's without constant access to diagnostic equipment and the experience to interpret it correctly.

Car electrics are a nightmare as I found with the Smart. You cannot do a proper test as you need the vehicle driving round sometimes to cause the fault to manifest itself. Hence it can end up needing a leap of faith to change a part and go through a process of elimination. At least that's without constant access to diagnostic equipment and the experience to interpret it correctly.

They can be an absolute nightmare, especially with intermittent faults, I've had cars with meters, oscilloscopes and diagnostic equipment wired up to them before, get someone to drive while you monitor it all. Even cars set up in the workshop with equipment worth more then the car to monitor them.
Yep just plug it in and tells you what's wrong lol.
Unfortunately a lot of customers don't understand what we have to do and just complain it's not fixed quickly, not just electrical faults.

The one currently stripped out is parked in the corner as the workshop manager decided to give me something else to get buried in!!! I did ask if he's forgotten I leave next week! Apparently there's next week still and shouldn't take long lol. No one wants to inherit that one either.

Any news on yours @Crispin ?

My 95 appears to have taken in a homeless electrical gremlin. Weirdly when I operate the indicator stalk the radio shuts off temporarily, before turning on again. It happens very intermittently and randomly, and I cannot replicate it despite trying. I'm baffled as to the possible connection between the two, but I'll start by cleaning all the contacts in the stalk

Any news on yours @Crispin ?

Alas - nothing.

He said it's the same as the other one he took for a drive. I asked to go for a drive in the other one and can hear the same drone at the same time. It is slightly less noticeable but then the whole engine sounded quieter than mine. He did find some aircon pipes which were running "unguided and too close to the fan shroud for my liking" which also had witness marks on the shroud. he's put some sponge tape on them to see but does not think it's that.

To me it sounds like something resonating on the induction side of things. it peaks between 1500-2000 which is where the gearbox likes to keep the engine so it's always there. Maybe it'll change as the engine ages? Only has 4k on the clock now.

This is a new engine by Mr-T so they might get it right next time round.

For now - turn the radio up :)

Cris have you read the 120 fix for the annoying sound at the same revs?

have you checked they havnt used the same intake duct into the front wing?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cris have you read the 120 fix for the annoying sound at the same revs?

have you checked they havnt used the same intake duct into the front wing?
urm, no. I've not. If only there was a search or something here ;)

Duct, filter, box etc is all identical.
Will look it up!

Unlikely that problem as the intake on the 150 is the same as the 120 - rhs fender. Drone is front left which is the inlet manifold. Pipe coming from intercooler into manifold is soft silicone. I might try deform it to see if it changes. If this works then I can put a T piece in to change the volume.

Well now we've got the 320d I was going to keep the 335d untill June when it's contract expires. Well I don't need 3 vehicles so arranged it to get collected on the 13th Feb. Wonderful just need to clean it, get the front wheel re furbished (wife has made a mess of it) make sure has 1/4 tank of fuel and send it on its merry way.. nope that plan has gone to sh#t

So took the kids seats out the the PROTECTION covers off, the cream leather has been stained with the dye from the covers :angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

20170204_173259.jpg

Will it clean off erm no it won't.

I've pulled some favours and getting the local leather repair company out next week to re dye the seats, use them at work loads so know they're good.

Panic over so got the car cleaned and parked up, let's go for a drive in the new car, wife has been in an auto for over a year so needs to get used to a manual again..... what does she do? Backs the bloody thing up onto the drive forgetting all about the 335d parked right behind the 80!! Well I've now got 2 3 series beemers that need back bumpers repaired!! I'm rather annoyed and being a public forum won't express my full feelings!!!!!!!

Her excuse.... well I'm not used to having a car parked behind the lc so just reversed up like normal!!!!

Ouch. Not a great day then... Hope it all OK.

No not a good day!! Had myself a strong cup of tea, took some deep breaths and made some calls. Should all be sorted by mid week. Wife is feeling really bad but could've been worse! If it had hit the 80 as well the bonnet would be damaged.

wife has been in an auto for over a year so needs to get used to a manual again..... what does she do? Backs the bloody thing up onto the drive forgetting all about the 335d parked right behind the 80!! Well I've now got 2 3 series beemers that need back bumpers repaired!!
Her excuse.... well I'm not used to having a car parked behind the lc so just reversed up like normal!!!!

Ah Yes . . A few years back my wife was driving my Ford Focus estate. coming out of the farm on the narrow road she met a lorry - so backed the Focus into a neighbour's brick wall, smashing rear lights and the valance - just before Christmas when everywhere was shut for two weeks :angry-screaming:.

"Well, its longer than my Fiesta" !

Another time she backed our Focus Hatch into our Horse Trailer that was in the yard being prepared for a show . . :angry-screaming:

"Well, it isn't usually there".

You're not alone :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Well car is with the bodyshop getting tarted up. Leather repair company is coming first thing Thursday to sort the seats and it's my last week :dance:

Not a chance I can relax though lol.
So the car in bits turns out to have a small water leak that has got to the body control unit, evidence of water inside it and in a couple of areas around the inner A post. Only leaks a small amount so out with the smoke machine today,
This is the view through the windscreen, it's like those e cigarette things lol.
Fill it with smoke and look for leaks.

20170206_101148.jpg

Tool box is going on Thursday at lunch time, snap on dealer is taking it for me, will have to borrow some tools (hate doing that). Cakes to buy on Friday and out on Saturday night with the lads.

So today my tool box got picked up and taken over to the new place, had an afternoon with no tools and tomorrow to go, I've had to borrow tools which I'm not a fan of.
Feels very weird not turning round to get a tool or having somewhere to put my coffee lol.
For the first time since July 1998 I haven't got a tool box where I'm currently working!! Feel lost!!

20170209_150739.jpg

Well one day to go and someone decided it'd be a good idea to try pile a load of work on me including a hybrid fault!! I think my manager is in denial that I'm going!!

My box has moved to its new home for now and will eventually move home when we're fully staffed and I don't need it

20170209_130315.jpg

It looks small on its own in the corner!!

Cakes in the morning :icon-biggrin:

Well I'm now no longer employed by bmw, would have been 12 years next month! Very mixed feelings on my last day, borrowing tools all day was strange for me, ate too much cake and kfc, got lots of hugs from the girls in admin etc :icon-biggrin: still worked as hard as normal right to the end (some people found this strange) got some amazing gifts and made a little speech, had more hugs :icon-biggrin:

End of an era for me.

Well been to the new site today to sort a few bits. Stock is arriving with lots of different makes, what I like is the oldest car on the stock list is a 63 plate merc. Lots of 16 plate stuff

Monday is a fresh new start and new challenges to greet me.

But tonight is party time in town with the boys and girls from bmw :icon-biggrin:

Well I'm now no longer employed by bmw, would have been 12 years next month! Very mixed feelings on my last day, borrowing tools all day was strange for me, ate too much cake and kfc, got lots of hugs from the girls in admin etc :icon-biggrin: still worked as hard as normal right to the end (some people found this strange) got some amazing gifts and made a little speech, had more hugs :icon-biggrin:

End of an era for me.

Well been to the new site today to sort a few bits. Stock is arriving with lots of different makes, what I like is the oldest car on the stock list is a 63 plate merc. Lots of 16 plate stuff

Monday is a fresh new start and new challenges to greet me.

But tonight is party time in town with the boys and girls from bmw :icon-biggrin:

Enjoy Gary, never be afraid to move on.

Biggest mistake of my life was working for the same company for 32 years...

Best of luck matey :thumbup:

First car in the workshop today :icon-biggrin:
20170213_114114.jpg

Have a lad from another branch to help the new guys learn the ropes.
I've got 2 techs till next week plus the lad from the other branch.

Got through quite a few cars today, hopefully all the computers will be set up tomorrow so can get on with everything that needs doing.
Busy day that's for sure

Back