Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bloody cars

I'm looking forward to the challenge, not often you get to be part of a team to drive a new site forward. Hopefully next week I'll get to see inside the new building, check out the workshop and my office.
I'll get pics of it of course lol.

May have guessed not moving within bmw, it's multi franchise with plans to become an approved ford franchised dealer also.
Main focus initially is the sales side and with upto 300 cars on site it's not exactly small, workshop is there to support sales while the aftersales side is then built from the ground up, not an overnight thing to build up so will take a lot of work. I get to build a team to drive it forward and already have quite a few people asking me for a job!

@clivehorridge that's one thing I'm adamant to remember, not many managers are from the shop floor any more and I've complained about that many times myself!
I have my own plans and ideas I want to implement.
I'm taking my tool box with me as if need to I'll get my hands dirty, I don't like to borrow tools so would want mine there. It was a big plus that I'm willing to do that as can multi task.

Speaking to one of the lads from technical dept he said there's a quite a few places losing good staff, people leaving the dealer network for better pay etc, we lost 2 to the trains last summer and another today to an independent.
Manager made me a rather good offer but money is only a temporary solution.

So I bought the missus a new car today, most likely a temporary solution but it'll keep her happy
20170111_161456.jpg

Little 320d (bit of a step down from the 335d m sport) has leather trim etc.
Just a 58 plate so nothing fancy but a 1 owner low miler, full bmw history and £4.5k. Just been serviced and has 4 new tyres :dance: Surprised management actually authorised the purchase (can buy trade in cars at cost) but they've been good with me tbh.

Gonna get the back windows tinted so it's a bit nicer for the kiddies.

3 weeks to go!!
I've arranged having my tool box moved the day before I leave, snap on dealer is moving it for me, needs to be nice if wants letting in the workshop :lol:

My management don't want me to go at all, they understand my reasons at least. Has been some large offers placed in front of me.
Even though bought the silver car don't have to give my 335d back untill June as it's sub contracted and not directly from the company :)

My new employers catalogue turned up today so I can order my new uniform, even gives a list of options but basically shirts, ties, trousers, lightweight and winter coats, jumpers and even shoes (I have to wear safety shoes but smart ones)

Even more of a surprise, my new manager is the current manager over at our mini site!! We already have a great working relationship, maybe taking some other staff with us too :whistle:

Well I know we all like pics so here's a few. Had my first visit inside today and wow!

Workshop with 8 2 post lifts, 1 mot bay and a 4 wheel alignment ramp
20170125_131747.jpg

20170125_131800.jpg

Mot bay with its own door into the workshop
20170125_131810.jpg

Door into workshop from my office, yep my office!
20170125_131940.jpg

My air conditioned office, pc etc still to go in as network not fully finished.
20170125_131948.jpg

View out into the workshop
20170125_132023.jpg

Parts department is next to the office, from the office is straight through to the service advisor team and the showroom.

Out back is a 6 bay dry valet building, a 4 bay wet valet building, a small bodyshop (2 to 3 cars in at once) with bake oven.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, what can I say… that looks like a cracking facility. And 3200kg ramps will take a landcruiser. :dance: Happy days all round I'd say. :icon-biggrin:

Looks like "Mr fixit paradise" just don't be too tempted to get your tools dirty Gary, or they'll always be after "help us out just this once... honest".

Where will your tools be kept, in your office?

It really is a nice place to be in, it's going to be busy when it gets up and running.
Going to be a lot of hard work for a few months getting it off the ground.

I have chosen a ramp as I will be needed in the workshop at times, won't be fully staffed initially and will have 4 techs. When busy the toolbox will be open, same if a nasty job/fault, last minute mot etc.

The ramp I've picked is the only one that can't be seen easily from my office, stops someone trying to hide away!

The building flows well too, not awkward to get to admin, sales, toilets etc. Has a locker room with showers just off from the workshop.

Very nice Gary. Need a club calendar on the wall in your office

I start on Feb 13th and it officially opens Feb 17th, have a load of training to do but luckily the main system for admin side Is the same as I use now.

My first day will be setting up of admin passwords etc, special/small tools are being delivered too.

I'll be authorised administration for anything workshop related, clocking system, work loading etc so a load to go through.
I start before the techs so can get everything sorted.

Will spend a few days at another site near Newcastle for some hands on training, I've got my health and safety induction in Wolverhampton on the 22nd, they want to get me and the service advisor upto head office early on too for other training. Fair bit of travelling initially but it was expected.

The lad who works at mini was supposed to be the new manager has last minute changed his mind and backed out. We won't have an aftersales manager which means my responsibility has increased, going forward it appears he's done me a bloody big favour as going to run it like that for the first few months and see how it goes.

Best of luck with it mate hope you get a good crew to from the outset :thumbup:

Just caught up with the updates on this thread - blimey Gary, you've been busy! ;)

Wishing you all the very best in your new role - hope it all works out as peachy as very peachy thing. :thumbup:

Cheers for the comments. I'm looking forward to the new challenge, lots of hard work and long hours no doubt.

Actually getting into the site yesterday had made it all the more real, the plans and ideas I have in my head now have a building, the air conditioned office is just an added bonus! Brain has been working overtime since I walked out of the building!!

Well there's nothing like approaching your last few days to end up deep in an ongoing fault!! Vehicle has now been in 5 or 6 times with various and differing electrical issues, can never be faulted and is sent on its way.
It's my first dealings with the vehicle and did try to say not the best idea but the powers that be know best!!
It ended up a little bit stripped out to start tracing the wiring looms to find the proverbial needle lol

20170201_125602.jpg

Have that to look forward to in the morning! Might have to go to Costa for a double shot of wake up juice first.

The vehicle has 7 power distribution boxes, about 35 control units and no pattern to what goes wrong, when it goes wrong and 'fixes' itself then something else goes wrong!! Lots of fun!!

On a better note one of the lads knocked up a leaving poster for me, knowing I'm a fan of iron maiden he's done some photoshop magic and.......

20170126_101839.jpg

Well done Gary, and good luck with the new job :thumbup:

Looks much like a VW garage we had a "hand " in a few years back

I can see the fault Gary - it's the red wire coming out of the connector. It's a bad crimp.

Must say - your thread gives a bit of faith about when you drop the car off at a dealer with a fault. They don't (always) fob you off with "we can't make it happen" or "it's just how it is". Thanks for that.
I dropped the 150 off at the dealer this evening for a drone it's developed between 1500 and 2000. Already been out for a long drive with your Toyota equivalent. He agrees there is something there and is now going to spend tomorrow trying to understand what it is and compare it to another 150. Holding thumbs he's as thorough as you are trying to find a penny :)

Back